Giant Stompy Robots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stags of the Mountains: You in the A Song of Ice and Fire BROB: With a Bonus!

+2
Psyckosama
Brian Boru
6 posters

Page 16 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25 ... 34  Next

Go down

Stags of the Mountains: You in the A Song of Ice and Fire BROB: With a Bonus! - Page 16 Empty Re: Stags of the Mountains: You in the A Song of Ice and Fire BROB: With a Bonus!

Post by Silver Sun 17 Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:24 am

Brian Boru wrote:
Silver Sun 17 wrote:I leave the Stag be; the Shadow cat is trophy enough. I dismount my horse, tie it off and skin the shadow cat, keeping the hide as intact as possible.
You swear you see the Stag dip its in respect before it bounds off into the wilds.  Quickly skinning the cat you head down to the rest of the company and everyone is amazed at you kill and they ask the story behind the hunt and what do you plan to do with said hide?

I tell the story and I am thinking of making the skin in a cloak.

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Stags of the Mountains: You in the A Song of Ice and Fire BROB: With a Bonus! - Page 16 Empty Re: Stags of the Mountains: You in the A Song of Ice and Fire BROB: With a Bonus!

Post by Brian Boru Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:30 am

Psyckosama wrote:Ever any doubt?
Not really no...

"It means I have faith in you."
He brightens at that.

[quote]When its appropriate I'd like to get her Raven.
[

Kool

[quote]"Actually I'm half tempted to loot his treasury, burn the iron fleet, kidnap his daughter, and proclaim her to be my salt-wife..."

Evil grin.

"While I favor the Old Gods, Doesn't the Faith tell you to should treat others the way you wish to be treated?"
He stares at you, then suggest you be careful how you go about with that kind of talk, even if he half agrees with you about the old piece of driftwood.

I laugh. "Though seriously, I think I'm going to be drowning some motherfuckers while I'm there."
"Be careful who you drown then because some might not take kindly to it."

I'm laughing like a loon too and give him a solid thump on the black when we both climb to our feet. "You hit pretty hard for an old man, Greyjon!" Laugh some more. "I don't know about you, but I could use some drink!"
"And you hit damn good for a half grown pup. And SO CAN I!!!" He roars.

I smile to Robert. "What say you, Father? I hear the mead this far north is like the sweet nectar of the Maiden's bosom!"
You booze yourselves near stupid that night.

Moon Tea. My gods. Moon Tea.

I don't think I'm going to have much say in this one. Wink

Still, I do make sure Greatjon won't be offended... I don't want to piss off my hosts.

I also tell the tales of my deeds so far... or at least the ones what Robert will allow and if it won't look like I'm being arrogant.

My first battle! My first trial! Discovering the treason in the court! Defeating the mountain! Brokering peace with the Mountain Men! Finding the tomb of my lost ancestor and the family axes!

And of course I mention that latest of my deeds was defeating the mighty Greatjon Umber in a man-to-man fist fight. Believe me, that ones worthy of song in my book! Anyone who disagrees, I will challenge to come to the north and let him punch them in the face! Wink
Everyone seems to enjoy the story...especially Morra, if the lust you felt in her eyes was intense before....heh heh, like the difference between a rock and a March Hare now. You actually are a little scared now.

On another note, during a calm moment I do suggest to Greatjon that he send an envoy to the Mountain Men. I believe that they're going to need some intermediaries who know how Westerosi culture works, his family is of First Man blood, and only a damned fool would ever accuse them of kneeling to anyone. If they're able to handle this tactically he might be able to gain immense trade profit from it as they set up trade and mining operations.
It's an interesting venture to act as a liason and a good possibility though Hothor would be the better man to speak with. He also agrees and says there are a few Umber cousins who might be good for this.

I also share some potatos with him and comment these crops will do well in the harshness of the far north.
They also promise to give these plants a shot.

That evening, when you head to bed. You find to your mild fear that Morra was hiding behind the door... she only says one word. "Mine!"

The next morning you look like you picked a fight with 100 Dothraki and your bed is shattered into 100 pieces. You also are horrifically dehydrated.

Rieverre wrote:Move my arm around a bit to get circulation back before the next pass. Well, that was interesting. Now that I know how he hits, or at least to begin with, I try to mess up his tempo, slowing perceptibly a few seconds before the clash and then immediately accelerating again to get more bang from my strike when we exchange blows.

This time, the two of thunder each other and your lances clashes, but for some reason, maybe by an instinctual roll, you manage to negate much of the force of Jaime's Lance.

Jaime on the other hand, is hit so hard he is literally airborne from the force of the blow. He tumbles through the air...and lands right on his head with a sickening thud.

Roll a d100.

Silver Sun 17 wrote:I tell the story and I am thinking of making the skin in a cloak.
The more superstitious men and those who know something about the court seem to take this as an omen of some sort, as for making a cloak, for half a silver a tanner in the riverlands is glad to work the hide into a fine cloak with the beast's head as a sort of hood.

Onwards into the Riverlands you go. The land is incredibly flat and there are more running ribbons of water flowing through then you could have ever imagined. Roll a d100.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:40 am

Brian Boru wrote:
The more superstitious men and those who know something about the court seem to take this as an omen of some sort, as for making a cloak, for half a silver a tanner in the riverlands is glad to work the hide into a fine cloak with the beast's head as a sort of hood.

Onwards into the Riverlands you go.  The land is incredibly flat and there are more running ribbons of water flowing through then you could have ever imagined.  Roll a d100.
[/quote][/quote]I pay the tanner and speak to those who have an idea of what is happening in the court, if the Cat and Stag are an omen (which is what i'm suspecting myself) i want to have my eyes open.

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:57 am

Brian Boru wrote:
He stares at you, then suggest you be careful how you go about with that kind of talk, even if he half agrees with you about the old piece of driftwood.
"I trust you. After all, you're the Steward of Dragonstone and if all goes well, will probably my hand."

First time HE'S Ever heard that.

"Don't look so shocked, I know talent when I see it and you have it in spades. I will admit, you may not going to be my first hand. I'm going to need someone who's a known factor at first, and whom people are not going to fuck with. Which is why I'm probably going to chose Ned Stark if he's still alive when I ascend the throne, during the turbulent early years when those who will question my rule need to have someone with an established record as a general breathing down their necks... but he's going to want to be rid of it as soon as possible."

I smile. "And then together, we can remake these fucking kingdoms in our own image. We sorry lot, the bastard and the dwarf."

"Be careful who you drown then because some might not take kindly to it."
"I will, but if they push too hard they'll find that I push back... I'm going to have to establish my own credit and will have to do it by their rules."

"And you hit damn good for a half grown pup.  And SO CAN I!!!" He roars.
"Well, as the one who lost this challenge of arms, it's your tab... such is the way of men, right?"

Cheeky Grin.

You booze yourselves near stupid that night.
YES! Very Happy

Singing bawdy drinking songs with the Umbers.

Everyone seems to enjoy the story...especially Morra, if the lust you felt in her eyes was intense before....heh heh, like the difference between a rock and a March Hare now.  You actually are a little scared now.
Heh. Hey, sounds fun!

It's an interesting venture to act as a liason and a good possibility though Hothor would be the better man to speak with.  He also agrees and says there are a few Umber cousins who might be good for this.
Had to go to him first though, would be disrespectful not to speak with the lord of the castle about such matters.

Still, I'm happy to outline it and I wish him and his family great success in this. It's my hope to spread prosperity throughout the realm one step at a time.

If he's willing to swear secrecy I'd be happy to show him some of my projects...

Yes, I'm a nerd.

They also promise to give these plants a shot.
Send me a raven when you get your first crop. I'd like to know how they fair... and if they do well, then all I ask in return is you share them with your comrades and bannermen that the people of the north may stand tall and eat heartily.

I wink. Though I would be personally thankful if he says where he got 'em.

That evening, when you head to bed.  You find to your mild fear that Morra was hiding behind the door...  she only says one word.  "Mine!"

The next morning you look like you picked a fight with 100 Dothraki and your bed is shattered into 100 pieces.  You also are horrifically dehydrated.
And she's walking like she just road bareback from Sunspear to Castle Black without pause.

I make sure she gets moontea, drag myself down stairs and drink an entire pitcher of chilled water.

"If you think I look back you should see the other guy! HA!"

Anyways, we probably stay with the Umbers a bit, and I mention to father that on the way to the Iron Islands I want to stop by Bear Island.

I want to spar with Smalljon and Greatjon a bit and generally talk tactics and war, probably the three of us and robert.

Why I even take this chance to show an idea I came up with for doing war games... using gamblers dice to stand in the the ficklness of fate, and numbers and simple mathematics to represent the qualities (or lack there of) of your soldiers. It allows a men to practice the art of tactics at ease with his comrades... and while it is no true replacement for real battle, it might give one ideas... and probably would be fun with ale and snacks.

Willing to try it?

And for this event I invented the pretzel... Wink

I'm sure Robert kicks ass once he gets his head wrapped around it and has tons of input. For his faults, the man's an outstanding general. He'd probably LOVE this.

Tyrion would probably want in on it too. He's got the head for it.

Psyckosama
Admin

https://giantstompyrobots.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:19 am

Silver Sun 17 wrote:I pay the tanner and speak to those who have an idea of what is happening in the court, if the Cat and Stag are an omen (which is what i'm suspecting myself) i want to have my eyes open.
They do mention that they've heard the Lannisters have an uncomfortably great influence in the court though tearing at the stag...is not something that came to their minds, and it disconcerts them

Roll a d100.

Psyckosama wrote:"I trust you. After all, you're the Steward of Dragonstone and if all goes well, will probably my hand."

First time HE'S Ever heard that.

"Don't look so shocked, I know talent when I see it and you have it in spades. I will admit, you may not going to be my first hand. I'm going to need someone who's a known factor at first, and whom people are not going to fuck with. Which is why I'm probably going to chose Ned Stark if he's still alive when I ascend the throne, during the turbulent early years when those who will question my rule need to have someone with an established record as a general breathing down their necks... but he's going to want to be rid of it as soon as possible."

I smile. "And then together, we can remake these fucking kingdoms in our own image. We sorry lot, the bastard and the dwarf."
He's honestly touched and he says that he'll give all he has to serve after all you've given him so much it's the least he could do.

"I will, but if they push too hard they'll find that I push back... I'm going to have to establish my own credit and will have to do it by their rules."
"You will be a riot in Pyke I'm sure."

"Well, as the one who lost this challenge of arms, it's your tab... such is the way of men, right?"
But of course.

YES! Very Happy

Singing bawdy drinking songs with the Umbers.
The ones that Hothor knows from his time in Oldtown are just FILTHY! Everyone laughs themselves silly at them.

Heh. Hey, sounds fun!
Brave man.

Had to go to him first though, would be disrespectful not to speak with the lord of the castle about such matters.
But of course.

Still, I'm happy to outline it and I wish him and his family great success in this. It's my hope to spread prosperity throughout the realm one step at a time.

If he's willing to swear secrecy I'd be happy to show him some of my projects...

Yes, I'm a nerd.
Hothor is kinda curious.

Send me a raven when you get your first crop. I'd like to know how they fair... and if they do well, then all I ask in return is you share them with your comrades and bannermen that the people of the north may stand tall and eat heartily.

I wink. Though I would be personally thankful if he says where he got 'em.
He will on both accounts.

And she's walking like she just road bareback from Sunspear to Castle Black without pause.
Well actually she looks a little dissapoi...

dammit I can't say that with a straight face YES she is walking funny.

I make sure she gets moontea, drag myself down stairs and drink an entire pitcher of chilled water.
Done

"If you think I look back you should see the other guy! HA!"
Laughs abound though the Umbers themselves glance you over, unconscious twitches weapons are common.

Anyways, we probably stay with the Umbers a bit, and I mention to father that on the way to the Iron Islands I want to stop by Bear Island.
Alright by him.

I want to spar with Smalljon and Greatjon a bit and generally talk tactics and war, probably the three of us and robert.

Why I even take this chance to show an idea I came up with for doing war games... using gamblers dice to stand in the the ficklness of fate, and numbers and simple mathematics to represent the qualities (or lack there of) of your soldiers. It allows a men to practice the art of tactics at ease with his comrades... and while it is no true replacement for real battle, it might give one ideas... and probably would be fun with ale and snacks.

Willing to try it?
Their eyes glaze at the wall of rules. Though they kinda like the idea behind it.

And for this event I invented the pretzel... Wink
Enjoyed.

I'm sure Robert kicks ass once he gets his head wrapped around it and has tons of input. For his faults, the man's an outstanding general. He'd probably LOVE this.
Incredibly simple tactics, BUT THEY WORK!

Tyrion would probably want in on it too. He's got the head for it.
MUCH MORE CUNNING!
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:22 am

Brian Boru wrote:
Silver Sun 17 wrote:I pay the tanner and speak to those who have an idea of what is happening in the court, if the Cat and Stag are an omen (which is what i'm suspecting myself) i want to have my eyes open.
They do mention that they've heard the Lannisters have an uncomfortably great influence in the court though tearing at the stag...is not something that came to  their minds, and it disconcerts them

Roll a d100.
I let slip a bit of musing about the Lannisters possibly hiding something from the king, but other then that don't make much comment outside of thanking them for what they told me.

Last edited by Silver Sun 17 on Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:22 am

The member 'Silver Sun 17' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd100' : 45

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:14 am

Brian Boru wrote:This time, the two of thunder each other and your lances clashes, but for some reason, maybe by an instinctual roll, you manage to negate much of the force of Jaime's Lance.

Jaime on the other hand, is hit so hard he is literally airborne from the force of the blow.  He tumbles through the air...and lands right on his head with a sickening thud.  

Roll a d100.
... awkward. I wheel my horse in place, take a moment to quietly go 'huh, that was a thing that just happened' and shout for a physician.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:14 am

The member 'Rieverre' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd100' : 32

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:19 am

Brian Boru wrote:He's honestly touched and he says that he'll give all he has to serve after all you've given him so much it's the least he could do.
"We are much alike you and I, both cursed at birth and hated for things we have no control over. As you've probably guessed, I was the one who insisted to Father to ensure you were made the uncontested Heir of the Westerlands. I did not do so to gain your loyalty. I was given a chance and used it to overcome my adversity. It would have been unthinkable to me to ensure you had the same opportunity. Because it was your right and more importantly, because it was the right thing to do."

I take a sip of wine (it is westeros, there is always wine!) and look at him.

"But that is not the reason you are here. That is not the reason I'm going to make you my first man, my strong right hand." I pause, "Tyrion, they say you are clever. That is bullshit. Beasts are clever, children are clever, comedians are clever. You are not a child, nor jester, nor beast. You are not clever. You are brilliant. Your mind is stronger than any sword arm and your wits sharper than any blade. You are mighty, Tyrion Lannister and no matter what dangers you face in your times to come I want you to remember that. You are a Lion, and any man fool enough to judge the Lion by its stature will soon find his throat torn out and his flesh being licked from the bone."

"That is why I asked you to come with me, and that is why I give you my full trust. You would have become a great man on your own, of this I am sure, and together we both shall become greater than we would alone. We both know that one day you will bend at the knee to me, but to me that matters not. Hand of the King, Lord of the Westerlands, Steward of Dragonstone, Lord of Casterly Rock, Bannerman of the King... to me those titles will always second to the one you hold in my heart right now. Friend."

I smile. "I've always said that your friends are the family you choose. Tyrion Lannister, you are as a brother to me."

"You will be a riot in Pyke I'm sure."
I grin like a shark. "Oh, I intend to leave a lasting impression... I also intend to throw them a bone. Or at least his daughter."

I lean back. "I have a long term plan to capture the Stepstones that ideally will use no royal troops, will be plausibly deniable, and more important... will make the crown stinking fucking rich."

"Get the Ironmen to do it." I laugh.

"Seriously, they have too many sons, not enough land, and far too much pent up aggression. They need to be directed. Pointed in a useful direction. My idea is to plant the idea with Balon's daughter, after I seduce her of course," I wink, "The idea is for the Ironmen to capture the Stepstones, forcing the pirates lords to either bend at the knee or die. Then, as a reward for thier 'service', she will be named Lord Paramount of the Stepstones. From there, they will be given a royal writ to place a... "toll"... on safe passage through their waters. To take a small percentage of goods as an iron price from those who wish to traverse that most critical of waterways... to help support their 'war on piracy' of course... and of course a fair percentage of that toll will be sent to the king in tax. "

I smile. "Balon and his ilk get to live out their historical fantasies. Asha gets to inherit a kingdom of her own. Theon gets his birthright of the Iron Islands unchallenged by his sister. The Ironmen get new lands and access to a new continent to plunder. The crown gets a whole new tax base. Westerosi merchants get a leg up on the competition. Everyone wins. Except the Free Cities. But that's kind of the point now isn't it?"

The ones that Hothor knows from his time in Oldtown are just FILTHY!  Everyone laughs themselves silly at them.
I adapt some modern drinking tunes, including Barnacle Bill the Sailor.

Hothor is kinda curious.
Oath of secrecy...

And I tell him about some of my ideas. Not the ones that undermine the tower of of course... but some I have planned like my idea of building a plow that lays seeds as you plow to ensure maximum use of the seed crop and proper spacing...

Or my four turn seed rotation.

He will on both accounts.
"Just one thing. They can be hard on the land so you'll need to fertilize it on occasion. The ideal fertilizer is a little bit of fish... which is another of my plans. Right now the fishwives and fishmongers of the coast dump the guts of the days catch. But if they were to say... desiccate and powder the bones, heads, and offal rather than throwing it out, it could be used as a rich fertilizer."

"One man's trash is another man's treasure and can enrich everyone. The fishwives sell the offal to the craftsmen who process it, who then sell it to the farmers who's, crops are stronger and heather, which allows you to take a greater share of greater profits. And every step of the way, the crown gets its cut. Everyone comes out richer," I smile. "That is how I hope to rule when my time comes, not bankrupting the kingdom with levys and taxes. No... I want to strengthen the economy. I have no desire to sit on a mountain of gold, but rather broaden the base... because when people make more money they make more taxes and... its like filling a tub with water. That is the wealth of the small folk and we float atop the waters. When you raise the level of water... the nobility will natureally rise, becoming richer and richer... and all the while... they'll fucking love us for it."

I pause. "Sorry. My apologies. Sometimes, when its a subject I'm passionate about, I can go off on a bit of a tangent..."

Well actually she looks a little dissapoi...

dammit I can't say that with a straight face YES she is walking funny.
Heh. Yeah. I am the man. Smile

Laughs abound though the Umbers themselves glance you over, unconscious twitches weapons are common.
I raise my hands passively. "In my defense I didn't start it..."

Their eyes glaze at the wall of rules.  Though they kinda like the idea behind it.
I keep them simple to start.

Incredibly simple tactics, BUT THEY WORK!
"That will improve as I tighten up and diversify the rules set."

MUCH MORE CUNNING!
I'm sure he loves it.

So, the wall?

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:40 am

Silver Sun 17 wrote:I let slip a bit of musing about the Lannisters possibly hiding something from the king, but other then that don't make much comment outside of thanking them for what they told me.
If they are then it isn't something that they'd be able to do something about.

The weather turns nasty when you enter the Riverlands, one day as you're trying to get across a small bridge you ear a massive crunch, turning to the sound, you see one of your companions pinned under a tree that got knocked over in the storm.

Rieverre wrote:... awkward. I wheel my horse in place, take a moment to quietly go 'huh, that was a thing that just happened' and shout for a physician.

Jaime isn't moving, he lies perfectly still. The dead silence is suddenly interrupted by the most blood curdling and horrific scream of rage and anguish mortal men have ever heard. It is queen Cersei who screams as such. She then turns to you and while you THINK she might be quite beautiful, you can't tell became of the inhuman HATE!!!! that twists her face. "KILL HIM!!!" She shrieks, "KILL HIM!!!" Almost immediately red cloaked Lannister men begin moving towards you, the King is Roaring for everyone to stop but he's drowned out by the queen's shrieking and the general mayhem at what's happened to Jaime and you don't think he'll be heard before the Red Cloaks reach you.

P.S. no one has check him yet.

Psyckosama wrote:"We are much alike you and I, both cursed at birth and hated for things we have no control over. As you've probably guessed, I was the one who insisted to Father to ensure you were made the uncontested Heir of the Westerlands. I did not do so to gain your loyalty. I was given a chance and used it to overcome my adversity. It would have been unthinkable to me to ensure you had the same opportunity. Because it was your right and more importantly, because it was the right thing to do."

I take a sip of wine (it is westeros, there is always wine!) and look at him.

"But that is not the reason you are here. That is not the reason I'm going to make you my first man, my strong right hand." I pause, "Tyrion, they say you are clever. That is bullshit. Beasts are clever, children are clever, comedians are clever. You are not a child, nor jester, nor beast. You are not clever. You are brilliant. Your mind is stronger than any sword arm and your wits sharper than any blade. You are mighty, Tyrion Lannister and no matter what dangers you face in your times to come I want you to remember that. You are a Lion, and any man fool enough to judge the Lion by its stature will soon find his throat torn out and his flesh being licked from the bone."

"That is why I asked you to come with me, and that is why I give you my full trust. You would have become a great man on your own, of this I am sure, and together we both shall become greater than we would alone. We both know that one day you will bend at the knee to me, but to me that matters not. Hand of the King, Lord of the Westerlands, Steward of Dragonstone, Lord of Casterly Rock, Bannerman of the King... to me those titles will always second to the one you hold in my heart right now. Friend."

I smile. "I've always said that your friends are the family you choose. Tyrion Lannister, you are as a brother to me."
He's dead silent, for once the Imp is at a loss for words. He simply stares at you with his heterochromatic eyes, then tears start to form at their edges though they don't fall.

I grin like a shark. "Oh, I intend to leave a lasting impression... I also intend to throw them a bone. Or at least his daughter."
That gets him a laugh.

I lean back. "I have a long term plan to capture the Stepstones that ideally will use no royal troops, will be plausibly deniable, and more important... will make the crown stinking fucking rich."

"Get the Ironmen to do it." I laugh.

"Seriously, they have too many sons, not enough land, and far too much pent up aggression. They need to be directed. Pointed in a useful direction. My idea is to plant the idea with Balon's daughter, after I seduce her of course," I wink, "The idea is for the Ironmen to capture the Stepstones, forcing the pirates lords to either bend at the knee or die. Then, as a reward for thier 'service', she will be named Lord Paramount of the Stepstones. From there, they will be given a royal writ to place a... "toll"... on safe passage through their waters. To take a small percentage of goods as an iron price from those who wish to traverse that most critical of waterways... to help support their 'war on piracy' of course... and of course a fair percentage of that toll will be sent to the king in tax. "

I smile. "Balon and his ilk get to live out their historical fantasies. Asha gets to inherit a kingdom of her own. Theon gets his birthright of the Iron Islands unchallenged by his sister. The Ironmen get new lands and access to a new continent to plunder. The crown gets a whole new tax base. Westerosi merchants get a leg up on the competition. Everyone wins. Except the Free Cities. But that's kind of the point now isn't it?"
He wishes you luck on that though kings have tried it before...never extremely successful.

I adapt some modern drinking tunes, including Barnacle Bill the Sailor.
Heh

Oath of secrecy...

And I tell him about some of my ideas. Not the ones that undermine the tower of of course... but some I have planned like my idea of building a plow that lays seeds as you plow to ensure maximum use of the seed crop and proper spacing...

Or my four turn seed rotation.
That piques his interest and he promises to give it a shot on a small plot to see the possible benifits.

"Just one thing. They can be hard on the land so you'll need to fertilize it on occasion. The ideal fertilizer is a little bit of fish... which is another of my plans. Right now the fishwives and fishmongers of the coast dump the guts of the days catch. But if they were to say... desiccate and powder the bones, heads, and offal rather than throwing it out, it could be used as a rich fertilizer."

"One man's trash is another man's treasure and can enrich everyone. The fishwives sell the offal to the craftsmen who process it, who then sell it to the farmers who's, crops are stronger and heather, which allows you to take a greater share of greater profits. And every step of the way, the crown gets its cut. Everyone comes out richer," I smile. "That is how I hope to rule when my time comes, not bankrupting the kingdom with levys and taxes. No... I want to strengthen the economy. I have no desire to sit on a mountain of gold, but rather broaden the base... because when people make more money they make more taxes and... its like filling a tub with water. That is the wealth of the small folk and we float atop the waters. When you raise the level of water... the nobility will natureally rise, becoming richer and richer... and all the while... they'll fucking love us for it."

I pause. "Sorry. My apologies. Sometimes, when its a subject I'm passionate about, I can go off on a bit of a tangent..."
"...indeed..."

OOC: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!! Razz 

Heh. Yeah. I am the man. Smile
Heh

I raise my hands passively. "In my defense I didn't start it..."
Yeah that floats about as well as a lead balloon, daddy's girl, sweet niece.

I keep them simple to start.
Simple table top rules.... ERROR! ERROR! DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COM...*head explodes*

"That will improve as I tighten up and diversify the rules set."
?

I'm sure he loves it.
Closest thing he thinks he'll ever get to commanding an army.

So, the wall?
Yes eventually you head on to the wall and the gigantic construct is exactly as huge as all the stories describe it as. You also luck out and the sun is out make the ice shine with a brilliance that is otherworldly. Castle Black...is a heartbreaker, derelict doesn't BEGIN to describe the men and the fort.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:43 am

Brian Boru wrote:
The weather turns nasty when you enter the Riverlands, one day as you're trying to get across a small bridge you ear a massive crunch, turning to the sound, you see one of your companions pinned under a tree that got knocked over in the storm.
I dismount and rush to aid in his rescue. I attempt to lift the tree of him so he can be moved.

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:08 am

Brian Boru wrote:He's dead silent, for once the Imp is at a loss for words.  He simply stares at you with his heterochromatic eyes, then tears start to form at their edges though they don't fall.
He gets a hug.

That gets him a laugh.
And a wink.

He wishes you luck on that though kings have tried it before...never extremely successful.
"Other kings have tried to capture them. They haven't let the Iron Men off the leash with the general instructions that "You keep what you kill". They're been waiting for this moment since Aegon the Conqueror roasted Harren Haore alive in his own keep.

That piques his interest and he promises to give it a shot on a small plot to see the possible benifits.
"...indeed..."

OOC: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!  Razz 
Would you rather I have you one word answers to everything? Communicate in grunts?

Yeah that floats about as well as a lead balloon, daddy's girl, sweet niece.
Dude, I have to call bullshit on this one. For her to be after me THAT intensely I wouldn't be the only one to notice.

Simple table top rules....  ERROR!  ERROR!  DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COM...*head explodes*
Notmy fault you have the attention span of a mentally deficient knat.

"?
"Basically the game's not done yet. It's going to get more detailed and realistic. Never will be a perfect replica for reality but it'll be a useful tool."

Closest thing he thinks he'll ever get to commanding an army.
I look at him. "Tyrion, don't be daft. You're right... you'll never have the makings of a Warlord, but as we're not a bunch of flee bitten horse fucking Dothraki. Being a General has bugger all to do with how well you can swing a sword, and everything to do of an understanding of the nature of the battlefield, of your enemy, and of your troops. Yes, it helps, but its not a job requirement."

Yes eventually you head on to the wall and the gigantic construct is exactly as huge as all the stories describe it as.  You also luck out and the sun is out make the ice shine with a brilliance that is otherworldly.  Castle Black...is a heartbreaker, derelict doesn't BEGIN to describe the men and the fort.
In general I take a tour and speak to robert that there needs to be some reform here.

Right now the Gift is a rather substantial stretch of damned near uninhabited land. Something needs to be done to encourage settlement... and interest in the Night's Watch.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:35 am

Brian Boru wrote:Jaime isn't moving, he lies perfectly still.  The dead silence is suddenly interrupted by the most blood curdling and horrific scream of rage and anguish mortal men have ever heard.  It is queen Cersei who screams as such.  She then turns to you and while you THINK she might be quite beautiful, you can't tell became of the inhuman HATE!!!! that twists her face.  "KILL HIM!!!"  She shrieks, "KILL HIM!!!"  Almost immediately red cloaked Lannister men begin moving towards you, the King is Roaring for everyone to stop but he's drowned out by the queen's shrieking and the general mayhem at what's happened to Jaime and you don't think he'll be heard before the Red Cloaks reach you.

P.S. no one has check him yet.
... so, nobody is actually going to check on the potentially mortally wounded man, or even check if he's very wounded at all as jousting armor is essentially a giant crash cage and Jamie should, by all rights, have reasonably high quality kit?

Also, congratulations, Cersei. You just managed to effectively invalidate jousting tourneys as places where liege lords might get a good idea of potential sworn swords' skills. I get the feeling if she were just left alone and free to make her own decisions for a while she'd end up self-destructing more effectively than any campaign of sabotage leveled against her would achieve.

Lovely situation she's put me in, though. And by lovely, I mean fucked. I can't very well run away - I'd be leaving Mya, even if Ser Martyn would probably take care of that issue, but more importantly if I do run it'd be as if I were admitting I am somehow guilty. That leaves me with all of one option - hoping Robert can put some kind of lid on things while I try not to get overwhelmed and stabbed to death.

So, at least I have a horse, and however much is left of my lance, as well as whatever personal arms I took (fighting when dismounted, IIRC, is still something that might happen occasionally - enemy is unseated/horse killed/etc.). I try to not outright kill, or at least I don't draw steel, using the weight and mass of my courser as well as the lance (and my weighted club/stick after the tournament lance, not meant for this kind of thing, is made completely useless) to lay about myself and into any aggressive Red Cloaks once they're close.

"WOULD YOU!" *smash* "KINDLY!" *pummel* "CHECK ON!" *crash* "SER JAMIE ALREADY!" *wallop* "YOU GODSDAMNED CUNTS!"

... yeah, something in that direction.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:04 am

Silver Sun 17 wrote:I dismount and rush to aid in his rescue. I attempt to lift the tree of him so he can be moved.
Roll a d10.

Psyckosama wrote:He gets a hug.
Nice moment, though not a long one, you're grown ass men.

"Other kings have tried to capture them. They haven't let the Iron Men off the leash with the general instructions that "You keep what you kill". They're been waiting for this moment since Aegon the Conqueror roasted Harren Haore alive in his own keep.
Maybe but are burnt slags of rock what you're after.

Would you rather I have you one word answers to everything? Communicate in grunts?
No, but gawd are these a bitch and a half to respond to sometimes.

Dude, I have to call bullshit on this one. For her to be after me THAT intensely I wouldn't be the only one to notice.
Amazing how blind some male kin are about their female kin....

Notmy fault you have the attention span of a mentally deficient knat.
Not my fault Table Top game's rules are so convoluted you need to be a member of the bar in order to understand them.

"Basically the game's not done yet. It's going to get more detailed and realistic. Never will be a perfect replica for reality but it'll be a useful tool."
We'll see.

I look at him. "Tyrion, don't be daft. You're right... you'll never have the makings of a Warlord, but as we're not a bunch of flee bitten horse fucking Dothraki. Being a General has bugger all to do with how well you can swing a sword, and everything to do of an understanding of the nature of the battlefield, of your enemy, and of your troops. Yes, it helps, but its not a job requirement."
Point there but what man would trust a commander that doesn't LEAD his men.

In general I take a tour and speak to robert that there needs to be some reform here.

Right now the Gift is a rather substantial stretch of damned near uninhabited land. Something needs to be done to encourage settlement... and interest in the Night's Watch.
Do something about the goddam wildings and something might be done. Is the general consensus by the King and Lord Commander Mormont.

Mormont describes how there are only 1000 men left in the Night's Watch, that the Wildings get ever bolder, and how at the very edge of hearing there are the slightest rumors of something horrible stirring, what they're not sure but they're too frequent to be gossip. Robert isn't inclined to believing about the rumors though he DOES promise to help with the Wildling issue someday.

Rieverre wrote:... so, nobody is actually going to check on the potentially mortally wounded man, or even check if he's very wounded at all as jousting armor is essentially a giant crash cage and Jamie should, by all rights, have reasonably high quality kit?
Actually a healer IS trying to get to him, but Cersei howling for blood is blocking him from getting to him because of the guards.

Also, congratulations, Cersei. You just managed to effectively invalidate jousting tourneys as places where liege lords might get a good idea of potential sworn swords' skills. I get the feeling if she were just left alone and free to make her own decisions for a while she'd end up self-destructing more effectively than any campaign of sabotage leveled against her would achieve.
Having Read all 5 books...he heh heh heh...hah...hah hah hah HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! cough...right...moving on.

Lovely situation she's put me in, though. And by lovely, I mean fucked. I can't very well run away - I'd be leaving Mya, even if Ser Martyn would probably take care of that issue, but more importantly if I do run it'd be as if I were admitting I am somehow guilty. That leaves me with all of one option - hoping Robert can put some kind of lid on things while I try not to get overwhelmed and stabbed to death.
He's trying and the other King's Guard members as well as the Hand, Old Jon Arryn, lord of the Eyrie are doing their best to stop the Red Cloaks, but Cersei's shrieks are loud and her demands simple.

So, at least I have a horse, and however much is left of my lance, as well as whatever personal arms I took (fighting when dismounted, IIRC, is still something that might happen occasionally - enemy is unseated/horse killed/etc.). I try to not outright kill, or at least I don't draw steel, using the weight and mass of my courser as well as the lance (and my weighted club/stick after the tournament lance, not meant for this kind of thing, is made completely useless) to lay about myself and into any aggressive Red Cloaks once they're close.

"WOULD YOU!" *smash* "KINDLY!" *pummel* "CHECK ON!" *crash* "SER JAMIE ALREADY!" *wallop* "YOU GODSDAMNED CUNTS!"

... yeah, something in that direction.
It's actually kind of hilarious to watch you demolish these grown men like this. But you continue to hold the red cloaks off until the King, redder than a beet finally get's everyone to sit the fuck down. He then demands the healer to see to Jaime,, it only takes a minute but the Healer announces that Jaime, though out cold is still alive and will continue to live though WHEN he will wake up isn't known. In order to apologize for the mishap, regardless of the outcome, you're going to get Jaime's armor's weight in gold dragons to make up for it.

Eventually everyone clears the field, your next opponent, when you get out there again, is Sandor Clegane, the hound.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:05 am

Brian Boru wrote:
Silver Sun 17 wrote:I dismount and rush to aid in his rescue. I attempt to lift the tree of him so he can be moved.
Roll a d10.

rolling

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:05 am

'd10' : 5

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:39 am

Brian Boru wrote:Having Read all 5 books...he heh heh heh...hah...hah hah hah HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!  cough...right...moving on.
*checks the wiki* ... huh ...

He's trying and the other King's Guard members as well as the Hand, Old Jon Arryn, lord of the Eyrie are doing their best to stop the Red Cloaks, but Cersei's shrieks are loud and her demands simple.
There's a certain appeal in simplicity, aye. I make a note to abuse this for my own purposes at some point in the future.

It's actually kind of hilarious to watch you demolish these grown men like this. But you continue to hold the red cloaks off until the King, redder than a beet finally get's everyone to sit the fuck down.  He then demands the healer to see to Jaime,, it only takes a minute but the Healer announces that Jaime, though out cold is still alive and will continue to live though WHEN he will wake up isn't known.  In order to apologize for the mishap, regardless of the outcome, you're going to get Jaime's armor's weight in gold dragons to make up for it.
Somehow, I can't imagine the human bullhorn ... err, the Queen ... is quite mollified by this. Ah well. What's one more person trying to kill me. If it is indeed one more person and not the same exact person, just less removed now.

Eventually everyone clears the field, your next opponent, when you get out there again, is Sandor Clegane, the hound.
That ought to be interesting. Really, this entire tier of the joust demands more focus than I've probably put into anything short of actual life and death combat. It's kind of exhilarating, and I find myself looking forward to the melee more and more.

But for now, the Hound ... this is going to be interesting. I make sure my gear is still properly adjusted after that scrap, dot my is and cross my ts, and ride out to meet him. Let's see if I can't manage that little shoulder roll I used against Jaime again.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:26 pm

Brian Boru wrote:
Nice moment, though not a long one, you're grown ass men.
Brohug.

Maybe but are burnt slags of rock what you're after.
True, but even those sun burnt rocks are a step up from the cold and dismal rocks they call home. Besides, its not the islands themselves... but rather the location. In essence I'd he offering them a base from which to strike directly at the wealthy ports of Essos."

No, but gawd are these a bitch and a half to respond to sometimes.
Ugh.

Amazing how blind some male kin are about their female kin....
They're given a funny look.

Not my fault Table Top game's rules are so convoluted you need to be a member of the bar in order to understand them.
Only the really bad ones. Remember many of these were designed to be playable by children.

We'll see.
keep experimenting...

Point there but what man would trust a commander that doesn't LEAD his men.
One who's not a goddamned bloody fool, that's who.

Seriously, I mean it. means bugger all. Battles are won by strength of arms, Wars are won through a greater understanding of the enemy. True, you will not be willing the grand melee any time soon, but ultimately it means bugger all in the big picture of things. A man can be a good commander without being a capable warrior.

What men will trust is a leader who values the lives of their soldiers and understands logistics and moral. I can only speak for myself, but if I were a soldier I'd rather be commanded by someone clever than someone strong. Any bloody fool can swig a sword, and while the story of the general in his tent, spy glass in hand watching the battle from the top of the hill, sending runners to issue orders to his commanders doesn't make for the kind of tales that make maidens wet, it is all too often the way battles are won.

Later on I start to work on a book... basically taking shit like the Art of War and rewriting it to fit Westeros.

Along with other historical war books I've read, like On War and The Influence of Sea Power upon History.

Basically its going to be a big thick book of war... based on the most beloved (by generals) books of our world that I've read... Wink

Do something about the goddam wildings and something might be done. Is the general consensus by the King and Lord Commander Mormont.

Mormont describes how there are only 1000 men left in the Night's Watch, that the Wildings get ever bolder, and how at the very edge of hearing there are the slightest rumors of something horrible stirring, what they're not sure but they're too frequent to be gossip. Robert isn't inclined to believing about the rumors though he DOES promise to help with the Wildling issue someday.
"How about making efforts to grow the watch? I had some ideas in that front..."

My general thoughts.

I have two possible plans.

First, right now there's so much land unadministered and unsettled. Second, there's a dissertation problem. I think these two could solve themselves. Simply give each brother the secondary responsibility of administering a plot of land in the name of the watch. That would of course necessitate that they be given opportunities to visit the area they're nominally managing... basically... a chance to decompress.

Third while they can't marry as part of their oath relax the attitude towards bastards a bit. While the children will never be legitimate, ease up a little. Hell, give the Gift its own bastard name. Black.

Basically ease up on things just enough so having your balls cut off no longer looks like a better option and that the only volunteers aren't people looking to die. Hell, in 15 years you could have the first generation of the Bastard's Black taking their vows.

As for peasants, right now the Gift is exempt from taxes and even with my ideas your brothers still have duties. Now, you just need some bards to sell it right... huge tracts of open land where any sheep buggering peasant with the balls to come up here can have a farm as large as he can manage with an absentee warlord who asks for a take far smaller than the lords to the south. Basically their only outstanding expense is the rent...

Also, make it so that lords cannot legally stop their serfs from moving to the gift, and that any serf who does so and labors honorably is considered a Freeman. It's a way out of the trap...

Have mandatory militias to serve as an auxiliary to swell effective numbers. They're not members of the watch, just normal men protecting their homes. Men heavily encouraged to train with bow and spear... commanded by sworn brothers in the field.

Finally, raise the number of crimes that sentence people to the walls. Less executions, more wall time.

An other thought would be just bring the watch under the mild authority of the crown. Have the crown send a royal commissioner to manage the Gift. Basically an appointed positions where they basically serve as the Hand of the Knight Commander, keeping the King abreast of the situation, managing your finances, setting rents, encouraging settlement, and generally build up your war chest so you can spend your time on more material duties like keeping out the wildlings, growing the watch, and fighting any freakish abominations against gods and man that may or may not come streaming down from the north...

(last part is said with a slight bit of sarcasm)

Hell, I even know the perfect man for the job.

His name is Petyr Baelish...

OOC yes, I'm suggesting we send Littlefinger to the Wall... with orders to make the gift profitable and help grow the Night's Watch. Let him use his powers for good, not evil... and if he tries to fuck around and gets caught, well, hope you like the place because now you're never leaving! Very Happy

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Silver Sun 17 wrote:5
Your muscles strain and slowly and surely the tree is wrenched high enough to yank the man out from under it. Broken legs but he'll live. That tree weighed several tons.

Rieverre wrote:*checks the wiki* ... huh ...
You realize how prophetic you were? Or you don't get it?

There's a certain appeal in simplicity, aye. I make a note to abuse this for my own purposes at some point in the future.
Indeed.

Somehow, I can't imagine the human bullhorn ... err, the Queen ... is quite mollified by this. Ah well. What's one more person trying to kill me. If it is indeed one more person and not the same exact person, just less removed now.
Oh she isn't but she's too busy fluttering by Jaime's side to HATE!!! you at the moment.

That ought to be interesting. Really, this entire tier of the joust demands more focus than I've probably put into anything short of actual life and death combat. It's kind of exhilarating, and I find myself looking forward to the melee more and more.

But for now, the Hound ... this is going to be interesting. I make sure my gear is still properly adjusted after that scrap, dot my is and cross my ts, and ride out to meet him. Let's see if I can't manage that little shoulder roll I used against Jaime again.
Roll a d10

Psyckosama wrote:Brohug.
Heh

True, but even those sun burnt rocks are a step up from the cold and dismal rocks they call home. Besides, its not the islands themselves... but rather the location. In essence I'd he offering them a base from which to strike directly at the wealthy ports of Essos."
That to.

They're given a funny look.
Heh

Only the really bad ones. Remember many of these were designed to be playable by children.
We'll see.

One who's not a goddamned bloody fool, that's who.

Seriously, I mean it. means bugger all. Battles are won by strength of arms, Wars are won through a greater understanding of the enemy. True, you will not be willing the grand melee any time soon, but ultimately it means bugger all in the big picture of things. A man can be a good commander without being a capable warrior.

What men will trust is a leader who values the lives of their soldiers and understands logistics and moral. I can only speak for myself, but if I were a soldier I'd rather be commanded by someone clever than someone strong. Any bloody fool can swig a sword, and while the story of the general in his tent, spy glass in hand watching the battle from the top of the hill, sending runners to issue orders to his commanders doesn't make for the kind of tales that make maidens wet, it is all too often the way battles are won.
Tyrion is complemented, Robert is vaguely offended.

Later on I start to work on a book... basically taking shit like the Art of War and rewriting it to fit Westeros.

Along with other historical war books I've read, like On War and The Influence of Sea Power upon History.

Basically its going to be a big thick book of war... based on the most beloved (by generals) books of our world that I've read... Wink
We'll see.

"How about making efforts to grow the watch? I had some ideas in that front..."

My general thoughts.

I have two possible plans.

First, right now there's so much land unadministered and unsettled. Second, there's a dissertation problem. I think these two could solve themselves. Simply give each brother the secondary responsibility of administering a plot of land in the name of the watch. That would of course necessitate that they be given opportunities to visit the area they're nominally managing... basically... a chance to decompress.
Once the shock of change is recovered from he does think that it MIGHT help a bit. Though there is a proposal that each plot is rotated so that the land is never administered by one man for longer than a single year.

Third while they can't marry as part of their oath relax the attitude towards bastards a bit. While the children will never be legitimate, ease up a little. Hell, give the Gift its own bastard name. Black.

Basically ease up on things just enough so having your balls cut off no longer looks like a better option and that the only volunteers aren't people looking to die. Hell, in 15 years you could have the first generation of the Bastard's Black taking their vows.

As for peasants, right now the Gift is exempt from taxes and even with my ideas your brothers still have duties. Now, you just need some bards to sell it right... huge tracts of open land where any sheep buggering peasant with the balls to come up here can have a farm as large as he can manage with an absentee warlord who asks for a take far smaller than the lords to the south. Basically their only outstanding expense is the rent...

Also, make it so that lords cannot legally stop their serfs from moving to the gift, and that any serf who does so and labors honorably is considered a Freeman. It's a way out of the trap...

Have mandatory militias to serve as an auxiliary to swell effective numbers. They're not members of the watch, just normal men protecting their homes. Men heavily encouraged to train with bow and spear... commanded by sworn brothers in the field.

Finally, raise the number of crimes that sentence people to the walls. Less executions, more wall time.
That makes the two of them think. They don't agree to anything...but they think on it might need a few days to decide.

An other thought would be just bring the watch under the mild authority of the crown. Have the crown send a royal commissioner to manage the Gift. Basically an appointed positions where they basically serve as the Hand of the Knight Commander, keeping the King abreast of the situation, managing your finances, setting rents, encouraging settlement, and generally build up your war chest so you can spend your time on more material duties like keeping out the wildlings, growing the watch, and fighting any freakish abominations against gods and man that may or may not come streaming down from the north...

(last part is said with a slight bit of sarcasm)

Hell, I even know the perfect man for the job.

His name is Petyr Baelish...

OOC yes, I'm suggesting we send Littlefinger to the Wall... with orders to make the gift profitable and help grow the Night's Watch. Let him use his powers for good, not evil... and if he tries to fuck around and gets caught, well, hope you like the place because now you're never leaving! Very Happy
THAT on the other hand gets slapped down so hard you get whiplash.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Brian Boru wrote:You realize how prophetic you were?  Or you don't get it?
The former. That's kind of sad, really.

Roll a d10

Rolling.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:00 pm

The member 'Rieverre' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd10' : 6

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:48 pm

Brian Boru wrote:Tyrion is complemented, Robert is vaguely offended.
I give Robert a look. "Oh don't be like that. Never said you can't be both. While you might be a bit eager to mix it up, you are an outstanding general."

I smile. "The Battle of Summerhall was an outstanding. It was both the perfect example of the use of superior initiative and your innate mastery of moral. You defeated three armies in a row and then convinced them to join you. It's one for the story books."

"The Battle of Ashford, while a technically loss was an example of how to accept defeat without lose Some people say they smashed your army. I say they are fools. You preserved the bulk of your force and pulled back in good order. Where there is life, there is hope, and there you faced a defeat that could have broken some men and withdraw from the field in good order in good order. Something that they would come to regret during the Battle of the Bells."

"Then you have the Battle of the Trident..." I pause for a moment, "I know it was intensely personal, but right now I'm looking at it from a purely academic sense. You faced a fresh force half again your number and won by personally decapitating the enemy leadership, which utterly destroyed their moral. All personal issues aside, that was risky, but the strategic payoff was immense. Probably more than you'd bargained for as its the battle that won you the crown."

I take a deep breath. "All in all, if I was writing a history of your battles I'd say you're an aggressive gambler in the field with the skill needed to know how mitigate losses and when to take risks. You're very fast to seize the initiative, your natural understanding of the value of troop moral is unmatched by any living general, and while your logistical skills are weak... you're well aware of your shortcomings and have a good eye for talent, compensating for your weaknesses with the wise selection of subordinates and a willingness to actually heed their council."

I pause. "You are, one of the best generals in the world. Your record speaks for itself."

We'll see.
Take a couple weeks to work out.

Once the shock of change is recovered from he does think that it MIGHT help a bit.  Though there is a proposal that each plot is rotated so that the land is never administered by one man for longer than a single year.
I'd personally suggest Three years. One year gives them just enough time to learn everybody's name before they're forced to move on. Three gives them the time needed to get a good read on the local situation and work effectively for a time without feeling entitled to it, and have one third relocate every year. That way you don't have one of every three years lose production due to all the Brothers needing six months to pull their heads out of their arses.

That makes the two of them think.  They don't agree to anything...but they think on it might need a few days to decide.
Bated breath.

THAT on the other hand gets slapped down so hard you get whiplash.
Didn't think you'd go for it. But it was more of an alternative to the others, and still, a financial adviser might be beneficial. Gods know you could use someone who knows how to work magic with funds. And in this case my suggestion stands.

I think Baelish could be useful to you. I will leave it at that.

And in private I tell Robert my concerns with Baelish's reputation. Including that he's quite possibly obsessed with Ned's wife and the leverage he has over Lord Jon's wife. He knows his way around money though, even if he's a potential liability.

Its amazing the things you learn from servant gossip. Wink

I'm basically trying to promote him to a post in northern Alaska... one where he'll be marginalized from court politics but his skills would do well. Wink

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:58 am

Rieverre wrote:The former. That's kind of sad, really.
Heh

It's a spectacular hit you shatter the lance and nearly knock the man clean off his horse...nearly...while he only makes a glancing blow, harder than Jaime's last hit but still glancing.

Another d10

Psyckosama wrote:I give Robert a look. "Oh don't be like that. Never said you can't be both. While you might be a bit eager to mix it up, you are an outstanding general."

I smile. "The Battle of Summerhall was an outstanding. It was both the perfect example of the use of superior initiative and your innate mastery of moral. You defeated three armies in a row and then convinced them to join you. It's one for the story books."

"The Battle of Ashford, while a technically loss was an example of how to accept defeat without lose Some people say they smashed your army. I say they are fools. You preserved the bulk of your force and pulled back in good order. Where there is life, there is hope, and there you faced a defeat that could have broken some men and withdraw from the field in good order in good order. Something that they would come to regret during the Battle of the Bells."

"Then you have the Battle of the Trident..." I pause for a moment, "I know it was intensely personal, but right now I'm looking at it from a purely academic sense. You faced a fresh force half again your number and won by personally decapitating the enemy leadership, which utterly destroyed their moral. All personal issues aside, that was risky, but the strategic payoff was immense. Probably more than you'd bargained for as its the battle that won you the crown."

I take a deep breath. "All in all, if I was writing a history of your battles I'd say you're an aggressive gambler in the field with the skill needed to know how mitigate losses and when to take risks. You're very fast to seize the initiative, your natural understanding of the value of troop moral is unmatched by any living general, and while your logistical skills are weak... you're well aware of your shortcomings and have a good eye for talent, compensating for your weaknesses with the wise selection of subordinates and a willingness to actually heed their council."

I pause. "You are, one of the best generals in the world. Your record speaks for itself."
He smiles like a satisfied cat, "Well when you put it that way lad..."

I'd personally suggest Three years. One year gives them just enough time to learn everybody's name before they're forced to move on. Three gives them the time needed to get a good read on the local situation and work effectively for a time without feeling entitled to it, and have one third relocate every year. That way you don't have one of every three years lose production due to all the Brothers needing six months to pull their heads out of their arses.
Two years...

Bated breath.
Roll a d100

Didn't think you'd go for it. But it was more of an alternative to the others, and still, a financial adviser might be beneficial. Gods know you could use someone who knows how to work magic with funds. And in this case my suggestion stands.

I think Baelish could be useful to you. I will leave it at that.

And in private I tell Robert my concerns with Baelish's reputation. Including that he's quite possibly obsessed with Ned's wife and the leverage he has over Lord Jon's wife. He knows his way around money though, even if he's a potential liability.

Its amazing the things you learn from servant gossip. Wink

I'm basically trying to promote him to a post in northern Alaska... one where he'll be marginalized from court politics but his skills would do well. Wink
Well unless you get his private books then you're never going to pin anything on him, but Robert promises to look in on this mess once you return.

Anything else you wish to do at the wall?
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:00 am

Brian Boru wrote:
Silver Sun 17 wrote:5
Your muscles strain and slowly and surely the tree is wrenched high enough to yank the man out from under it.  Broken legs but he'll live.  That tree weighed several tons.
Once's he's out I check to see if we are moving on. if so I ride my horse close by to keep help keep on the man. if we are setting up camp here I find an axe and turn that damn tree into fire wood.

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:15 am

Brian Boru wrote:He smiles like a satisfied cat, "Well when you put it that way lad..."
I smile. "And a bit longer and you'll be back to that condition. The time north and the weight loss suit you." I wink, "You might not quite be back to being a Maiden's dream, but before long you'll be leaving something of a impression... a damp on on the ladies and hammer shaped one on anyone fool enough to question you."

My smile goes down right dark. "I think you're going to be back to your prime just in time to greet Balon. I'm sure that fuck has been making many a joke about 'Fat King Robert'. Fitting that he's the first Lord Paramount to see you restored to your prime."

ITwo years...
In the end its up to you two. Reason I suggested three was for the sake of efficiency. This might be something worth experimenting with to see what gets the ideal effect. But I digress and leave it to your judgements.

Roll a d100
Psyckosama carried out 1 launched of one d100 :

Well unless you get his private books then you're never going to pin anything on him, but Robert promises to look in on this mess once you return.
Some times the best thing you can do is if you KNOW he's dirty but can't prove it, is to promote them to somewhere that they can't do any damage.

Reason I suggested sending him as a royal advisor to the head of the nights watch. Sounds prestigious and can be played off as something grand... but really its just sentencing him to freeze his ass off on castle black until his balls rot off or he decides to quit, upon which he opens himself to being humiliated at court for disrespectng the king and the great trust shown in him. It's a win win for us, a lose lose for him. Perfect way to contain a competent but corrupt bureaucrat while still making use of him.

Anything else you wish to do at the wall?
First, I want to walk on the wall itself and study it.

Second, I want to speak to Jamie again. I still respect him. He's an honorable man who was caught in the web of a rather nasty she-spider.

Does Tyrion visit his brother?

Also, did the man I sent north show up anywhere yet? He was told we were visiting Castle Black and the Wall.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:35 am

Silver Sun 17 wrote:Once's he's out I check to see if we are moving on. if so I ride my horse close by to keep help keep on the man. if we are setting up camp here I find an axe and turn that damn tree into fire wood.
Everyone, especially the man you saved, is in awe at what you did, they knew you had stupendous potential but this? This show of strength is utterly astounding.

Further south you ride through the riverlands, as you near the border of the crownlands.

Roll a d100

Psyckosama wrote:I smile. "And a bit longer and you'll be back to that condition. The time north and the weight loss suit you." I wink, "You might not quite be back to being a Maiden's dream, but before long you'll be leaving something of a impression... a damp on on the ladies and hammer shaped one on anyone fool enough to question you."
That gets a laugh out of him.

My smile goes down right dark. "I think you're going to be back to your prime just in time to greet Balon. I'm sure that fuck has been making many a joke about 'Fat King Robert'. Fitting that he's the first Lord Paramount to see you restored to your prime."
That smile is downright EVIL

In the end its up to you two. Reason I suggested three was for the sake of efficiency. This might be something worth experimenting with to see what gets the ideal effect. But I digress and leave it to your judgements.
Quite.

They come to you a few days later and say that they'll agree to your plan, though Jeor insists that two years is the maximum he's willing to accept and each man will HAVE to be taught how to manage a plot. Also if this falls utterly apart then it is on your head entirely.

Some times the best thing you can do is if you KNOW he's dirty but can't prove it, is to promote them to somewhere that they can't do any damage.
True

Reason I suggested sending him as a royal advisor to the head of the nights watch. Sounds prestigious and can be played off as something grand... but really its just sentencing him to freeze his ass off on castle black until his balls rot off or he decides to quit, upon which he opens himself to being humiliated at court for disrespectng the king and the great trust shown in him. It's a win win for us, a lose lose for him. Perfect way to contain a competent but corrupt bureaucrat while still making use of him.
Well the problem is that a great part of the night's watches culture is that it is COMPLETELY separate from Westerosi politics, it's why they take such draconian oaths, they aren't truly Westerland men or Stomlanders, they aren't truely Mallisters or Mormonts, or even Targaryans, they are brothers of the Night's Watch first, last and only. This might wreck things, the ONLY argument you could make was that the night's watch was founding during a time of multiple kingdoms, however there is now only one but still....

Study it how? The wall is EFFING COLD! Especially up here on the top of the wall and the wind feels like it'd blow you right off.

Second, I want to speak to Jamie again. I still respect him. He's an honorable man who was caught in the web of a rather nasty she-spider.

He's actually at the Shadow tower right now. Blocks of ice kept falling at inopportune times right above him. No one could be accused so Jeor felt it wise to simply send the man away.

Also, did the man I sent north show up anywhere yet? He was told we were visiting Castle Black and the Wall.
They were sorely tempted to bar the nut but finally relented when he showed the royal missive though the Maester did ask that a rubbing of the Tablets be made for the Night's Watch's library. That was a while back and they haven't seen him since.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:38 am

Brian Boru wrote:
Silver Sun 17 wrote:Once's he's out I check to see if we are moving on. if so I ride my horse close by to keep help keep on the man. if we are setting up camp here I find an axe and turn that damn tree into fire wood.
Everyone, especially the man you saved, is in awe at what you did, they knew you had stupendous potential but this?  This show of strength is utterly astounding.

Further south you ride through the riverlands, as you near the border of the crownlands.

Roll a d100

rolling

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:38 am

'd100' : 17

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:49 am

Brian Boru wrote:That gets a laugh out of him.
And a pat on the back from me.

That smile is downright EVIL
So is mine. We're going to enjoy this.

Quite.
I'm giving ideas not commandments.

They come to you a few days later and say that they'll agree to your plan, though Jeor insists that two years is the maximum he's willing to accept and each man will HAVE to be taught how to manage a plot.  Also if this falls utterly apart then it is on your head entirely.
He gets a level look. "Right now the Night's Watch is dying a slow death. Less men take the black every year, the Gift is virtually uninhabited, and your coffers are almost as empty as your lands. Something has to be done. You can't look me in the eyes and say its not worth at least the attempt."

Well the problem is that a great part of the night's watches culture is that it is COMPLETELY separate from Westerosi politics, it's why they take such draconian oaths, they aren't truly Westerland men or Stomlanders, they aren't truely Mallisters or Mormonts, or even Targaryans, they are brothers of the Night's Watch first, last and only.  This might wreck things, the ONLY argument you could make was that the night's watch was founding during a time of multiple kingdoms, however there is now only one but still....
Actually that's something of an argument for. This adviser would not be a sworn brother, but rather someone who's job it is to be the bridge between the Watch and the rest of Westeros. Someone approachable to sit in front of the merchants. Someone that gives them plausible deniablity if there's ever a bad turn. Someone they can afford to throw to the wolves...

One part adviser, one part envoy, one party patsy.

Still, just consider it and I'll be pleased they considered my ideas.

Study it how?  The wall is EFFING COLD!  Especially up here on the top of the wall and the wind feels like it'd blow you right off.

He's actually at the Shadow tower right now.  Blocks of ice kept falling at inopportune times right above him.  No one could be accused so Jeor felt it wise to simply send the man away.[/quote]We're headed that direction anyways. After all, we need to get to the sea to head to Bear Island and from there, the Iron Islands.

They were sorely tempted to bar the nut but finally relented when he showed the royal missive though the Maester did ask that a rubbing of the Tablets be made for the Night's Watch's library.  That was a while back and they haven't seen him since.
Yeah, it was hard to find someone desperate enough to take the job. Big bribe attached too.... though he seemed competent enough.

Note: The Tablets were replicas...

BTW, I'm rolling for his success.

Psyckosama carried out 1 launched of one d100 :

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 34 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 25 ... 34  Next