Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Gear on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Okay, let's start actually doing something.
Writers, what do you thing Dansel's fate should be?

Killed in the crane crash?
Seriously Wounded?
Lightly Wounded?
Just unconscious?
Something Else?

And after the battle, should he:

Leave the service?
Remain in the reserves in the background?
Medical Discharge?
Put in a pure PR position with only a background mention or two?
Something Else?

I want at least lightly wounded, and either Medically discharged or PR position.

But most definitely not a mech pilot.

Heck, let's go a bit further and give him that brain mis-wiring that prevents the neuro-helmet from working on him.

Now, Discuss.
avatar
Gear

Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-02-04
Age : 35
Location : Arkansas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Agelastus on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:59 am

Leave his posts mostly alone but have him assassinated before Samsonov's strike on Antallos if so many people have grown to dislike him.

Seriously - this forum was created to encourage progress on the RR, yet most of what's been posted involves major rewrites of existing story. The Columbus posts ought to be edited due to the decision already taken by the authors that less stuff was actually retrieved than the story posts indicate. However, f we also start removing Dansel posts we'll end up having to go back and rewrite a huge chunk of the invasion; this forum will have delayed rather than advanced the progress of the story.

Agelastus

Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-02-04
Age : 42
Location : Too far from the sea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Gear on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:21 pm

At this point, even a rewrite is progressing the story.

And Dansel needs to be rewritten. He turned into a cartoon character after the crane, and had far too much spotlight for the story.
avatar
Gear

Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-02-04
Age : 35
Location : Arkansas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Agelastus on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:07 pm

I still don't see the need for getting rid of/rewriting him - even at his most cartoonish his segments were still enjoyable; I can't remember skipping/speed-reading any of the Dansel segments, something I certainly did with the vast majority of the Columbus arc.

Agelastus

Posts : 5
Join date : 2012-02-04
Age : 42
Location : Too far from the sea

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Gear on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:43 pm

I certainly skimmed through the Dansel parts of the story post crane crash.

He needs to have some of his spotlight taken away at the very least.
avatar
Gear

Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-02-04
Age : 35
Location : Arkansas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Norgarth on Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:39 am

Agelastus wrote:Leave his posts mostly alone but have him assassinated before Samsonov's strike on Antallos if so many people have grown to dislike him.

Seriously - this forum was created to encourage progress on the RR, yet most of what's been posted involves major rewrites of existing story. The Columbus posts ought to be edited due to the decision already taken by the authors that less stuff was actually retrieved than the story posts indicate. However, f we also start removing Dansel posts we'll end up having to go back and rewrite a huge chunk of the invasion; this forum will have delayed rather than advanced the progress of the story.

Frankly there are several things that should be edited out of the story. A bunch of pointless 'cameos' and the Columbus cats for starters, and Japan's LAM fetish can be turned down a couple notches as well. I can understand Japan being pro-Mech/LAM, but the nation seemed to restructure it's entire economy around the LAM and GM products as the RR progressed.

One reason I think Dansel was used so much, was nobody could be bothered to think up more characters. They just used one of the small number of pre-established characters whenever they wanted to write something. We actually had a fairly small cast of characters.

Norgarth

Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Psyckosama on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:59 pm

[quote="Norgarth"]
Frankly there are several things that should be edited out of the story. A bunch of pointless 'cameos' and the Columbus cats for starters,

Agreed.

and Japan's LAM fetish can be turned down a couple notches as well.

I will second this. It was made too successful too fast for one.

I can understand Japan being pro-Mech/LAM, but the nation seemed to restructure it's entire economy around the LAM and GM products as the RR progressed.

Yeah. Which is insane. They're a nation of ofr weird closet otaku, but not that insane.

One reason I think Dansel was used so much, was nobody could be bothered to think up more characters. They just used one of the small number of pre-established characters whenever they wanted to write something. We actually had a fairly small cast of characters.

Larger than you think. Notice noone did jack nor shit with the Free Azami other than Aladdin. But I agree. I think we need to split dansel's later role into about 3 other, less silly, people

Psyckosama
Admin

Posts : 2229
Join date : 2012-02-04

View user profile http://giantstompyrobots.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Gear on Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:20 pm

[quote="Psyckosama"]
Norgarth wrote:
Frankly there are several things that should be edited out of the story. A bunch of pointless 'cameos' and the Columbus cats for starters,

Agreed.
Agreed as well.

I'm not saying we take them all out, the Remus Lupin one was alright, since Wolfnet does have a dog theme going, and they took pains not to keep it going.

But some of them were like bricks to the face, and existed entirely to be cameos, not characters with their own stuff who just happened to be cameos.

I will second this. It was made too successful too fast for one.

Yeah. Which is insane. They're a nation of ofr weird closet otaku, but not that insane.
Seconding this as well.

Larger than you think. Notice noone did jack nor shit with the Free Azami other than Aladdin. But I agree. I think we need to split dansel's later role into about 3 other, less silly, people
Yes, totally agree on this.

So, where should Dansel stop being Dansel?

I'm willing to compromise and support leaving in him capturing Hale's mech, but I'd like some more medical issues resulting from all that, either permanent or temporary.

I'd like the 'new' Dansel to be C-Earth's first Mechwarrior.

And for the third, head of the Foreign Legion?
avatar
Gear

Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-02-04
Age : 35
Location : Arkansas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Norgarth on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:11 am

Actually I figure that for as far as Remus goes, we don't even need for his last name to be Lupin. He could be Remus Larson, and we could still have the smart ass private make a Harry Potter joke just because of the simularity in names.

Hell we could do something similar with 'Lois Lane' or other characters. Give her a name that sounds close, and have people do double takes because of what they thought they heard.

'I'm Lois Trehane."
*surprised look* "Did you say 'Lois Lane'?"
"No, 'Treh - hane'. Why?"

Norgarth

Posts : 25
Join date : 2012-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:34 am

Norgarth wrote:Actually I figure that for as far as Remus goes, we don't even need for his last name to be Lupin. He could be Remus Larson, and we could still have the smart ass private make a Harry Potter joke just because of the simularity in names.

Hell we could do something similar with 'Lois Lane' or other characters. Give her a name that sounds close, and have people do double takes because of what they thought they heard.

'I'm Lois Trehane."
*surprised look* "Did you say 'Lois Lane'?"
"No, 'Treh - hane'. Why?"

Lois Lehane :p

Psyckosama
Admin

Posts : 2229
Join date : 2012-02-04

View user profile http://giantstompyrobots.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Knobby on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 am

Psyckosama wrote:
Norgarth wrote:"I'm Lois Trehane."
*surprised look* "Did you say 'Lois Lane'?"
"No, 'Treh - hane'. Why?"
Lois Lehane :p
But that doesn't make her available to be mistaken for kin of the Squire of Gothos.

/smartass
/derail
avatar
Knobby

Posts : 18
Join date : 2012-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Knobby on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:27 am

Crap, I killed the thread didn't I? Sad

(Or, alternately: "I accidentally the forum")
avatar
Knobby

Posts : 18
Join date : 2012-02-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Gear on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Knobby wrote:Crap, I killed the thread didn't I? Sad

(Or, alternately: "I accidentally the forum")
A little.

It's all of our faults really, as we're not really trying to write anything, just complaining about what we think is wrong with the story.
avatar
Gear

Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-02-04
Age : 35
Location : Arkansas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Issue #1 Dansel's Fate

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum