Giant Stompy Robots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are the Demon King...

+5
Kelenas
Brian Boru
mithril-blade
Silver Sun 17
Ironforge
9 posters

Page 28 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Go down

You are the Demon King... - Page 28 Empty Re: You are the Demon King...

Post by Psyckosama Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:50 pm

Rieverre wrote:"... did one of the previous Emperors decide to keep it as such to have a readily available source of stress relief? That's the only possibility that comes to mind, really, because I find myself more than a bit offended by the thought of having a place like _that_ as the representative city of the Realm ..." I say, frowning.

"Understand, that the level of... organization shown by the higher ranks of demon is not indicative of the races in general. This is a realm of power, passion, and chaos."

Actually, I'll head for the library and ask the Lamia just that. She should be able to dig up reliable accounts on the city's history, right?

Yep. And I'll tell you this. There's a reason its nicknamed 'Sin City'

... hmm ... I sort of feel like I've got my first project right here.

Good luck...

"I'd normally claim to be upset about such a cavalier attitude towards destruction of things my former people had built ... but they're not really my people and never were," I reply. "Not unless they've devised easily affordable means of information exchange and dissemination and made them widely available? Still, a bit of context please? You don't really strike me as someone who would do such things for no reason at all."

"Sometimes you have to remind the Mortals that they are not masters of all that they see. They have to remember that there are far mightier beings in these worlds that tolerate their continued existence and that the price paid for challenging their betters will be paid in fire and blood..."

Psyckosama
Admin

https://giantstompyrobots.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Psyckosama wrote:"Understand, that the level of... organization shown by the higher ranks of demon is not indicative of the races in general. This is a realm of power, passion, and chaos."

"Meaning the underlings responsible for keeping the place in line, _with fire and sword if need be_, aren't doing their jobs. Or none such have been appointed yet, which is a glaring oversight."

Yep. And I'll tell you this. There's a reason its nicknamed 'Sin City'

... so? That's no reason for it to not be run more efficiently. Some people ... or demons ... have doubtlessly forged their own organizations out of the chaos.

Good luck...

You realize that at this point my response is likely as not to be 'burn it all down and start over' right? Or maybe send in the palace guard to commit a nice pogrom or two.

And if not, then it's a city full of acceptable targets that I can feed to the Soul Reaver without any remorse whatsoever.

"Sometimes you have to remind the Mortals that they are not masters of all that they see. They have to remember that there are far mightier beings in these worlds that tolerate their continued existence and that the price paid for challenging their betters will be paid in fire and blood..."

"That's still awfully vague. I'll be the first to admit mortals can be exceptionally foolish sometimes but just hearing it, it sounds a bit extreme."
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:10 am

Rieverre wrote:"Meaning the underlings responsible for keeping the place in line, _with fire and sword if need be_, aren't doing their jobs. Or none such have been appointed yet, which is a glaring oversight."

"Actually most tend to let it run itself as long as taxes are paid. It's less bother that way."

... so? That's no reason for it to not be run more efficiently. Some people ... or demons ... have doubtlessly forged their own organizations out of the chaos.

Some... but they're clannish and normally in conflict. Which honestly is the way of the Underworld.

You realize that at this point my response is likely as not to be 'burn it all down and start over' right? Or maybe send in the palace guard to commit a nice pogrom or two.

Do you have any idea how much bother that would be?

And if not, then it's a city full of acceptable targets that I can feed to the Soul Reaver without any remorse whatsoever.

They're your subjects, dude...

"That's still awfully vague. I'll be the first to admit mortals can be exceptionally foolish sometimes but just hearing it, it sounds a bit extreme."

"They decided to stop paying tribute and start looking for Dragon Slayers... examples must be made."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:42 am

Psyckosama wrote:Some... but they're clannish and normally in conflict. Which honestly is the way of the Underworld.

On hearing that ... hmm ... the place can't have a mayor or overseer or anyone of the sort. Still, has anyone tried making their defacto management of a district or however large the respective turfs are official? And make them fight for it in a more formalized ... and entertaining ... manner?

... this tempts me to introduce Blood Bowl.

Do you have any idea how much bother that would be?

... everybody needs a hobby?

They're your subjects, dude...

Considering that description of the city? More likely than not I can find _someone_ doing _something_ atrocious enough by just picking a random direction and walking for a few minutes.

"They decided to stop paying tribute and start looking for Dragon Slayers... examples must be made."[/quote]

"Ah. Awkward. Someone was rabble-rousing, I'd wager." Well, that or the tributes were outlandish, but I'm going to err on the side of dragons not being idiots here. "There are ways around that. Make something you can provide an indispensable part of everyday life for them and any such elements would be shouted down before they could really get going."

I pause and sigh. "Well, in a perfect world where people act rationally and aren't prone to making bad decisions."
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:32 pm

Rieverre wrote:On hearing that ... hmm ... the place can't have a mayor or overseer or anyone of the sort. Still, has anyone tried making their defacto management of a district or however large the respective turfs are official? And make them fight for it in a more formalized ... and entertaining ... manner?

Yes. And they're all profoundly corrupt.

... this tempts me to introduce Blood Bowl.

Could always try.

... everybody needs a hobby?

Stick to mastering your powers... :p

Considering that description of the city? More likely than not I can find _someone_ doing _something_ atrocious enough by just picking a random direction and walking for a few minutes.

Yeah, but considering everything you might accidentally off what passes for the good guys...

"Ah. Awkward. Someone was rabble-rousing, I'd wager." Well, that or the tributes were outlandish, but I'm going to err on the side of dragons not being idiots here. "There are ways around that. Make something you can provide an indispensable part of everyday life for them and any such elements would be shouted down before they could really get going."

"What, you expect us to serve them in some way?" she looks confused. Then annoyed. "The fact that we allow them to settle within our territory without slaughtering them for the presumption should be enough."

Remember, prideful and extremely powerful super predator Wink

I pause and sigh. "Well, in a perfect world where people act rationally and aren't prone to making bad decisions."

"Indeed."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Yes. And they're all profoundly corrupt.

... nothing new there.

Stick to mastering your powers... :p

I was under the impression that training was proceeding somewhat apace on that.

Yeah, but considering everything you might accidentally off what passes for the good guys...

There is such a thing?

Honestly, I don't mind the fact that there's organized crime. I do mind that it's the capital and it's being described as a cesspool. This offends me.

"What, you expect us to serve them in some way?" she looks confused. Then annoyed. "The fact that we allow them to settle within our territory without slaughtering them for the presumption should be enough."

Remember, prideful and extremely powerful super predator Wink

"That's fair enough," I shrug. "It might be a good idea to formalize terms in the future. I've found humans at least tend to prefer these things to be written down, possibly since they haven't the benefit of draconic memory and don't live near as long. A tangible record with copies held by either side seems like the best option, worded as unambiguously as possible."
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:13 pm

Psyckosama wrote:"As long as they get their glory and loot, they care not from whose hands it was taken..."

"Good to know."

"Polymorph spells," he says with a level tone. "They make up for a world of ills. I've seen men breed with things you could not imagine... all while temporally bound to the form of a confused and extremely comely young maiden."

"..."

"Not really. With just a sliver of your power you could reduce them to a husk."

Huh

"They make amsuing slaves. It's always fun breaking an angel..."

Raised Eyebrow... never mind.

"Relatively well. They're hidebound but experienced and their formations are based on trust."

"And here I was hoping the rankers were mindless automatons who'd panic if their superiors weren't there to tell them what to do all the time."

He grimaces.

Yeah angel society must be Anathema to Demon folk.

"Especially if you were the one to make them fall..."

Heh

"I suggest you do not call it that. And they control large areas of the mortal world. None of which are of much value sadly."

"Duly noted, and good to know where they stand. Do the ones in the Mortal world answer to us or are they independent?"
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:07 pm

Rieverre wrote:... nothing new there.

Yep.

I was under the impression that training was proceeding somewhat apace on that.

True true...

There is such a thing?

Yes. As in killers with some kind of ethical center rather than ones who do it entirely in the name of greed or simply for the lulz.

Honestly, I don't mind the fact that there's organized crime. I do mind that it's the capital and it's being described as a cesspool. This offends me.

Ah. Well, one goes in hand with the other. It'll take time and effort to personally take control.

Seems the last few emperors never bothered and its gone to seed.

"That's fair enough," I shrug. "It might be a good idea to formalize terms in the future. I've found humans at least tend to prefer these things to be written down, possibly since they haven't the benefit of draconic memory and don't live near as long. A tangible record with copies held by either side seems like the best option, worded as unambiguously as possible."

"They seem to get all huffy about pointless details such as preexisting feudal relationships, 'property rights', and the whole 'we were here first' issue. As if it really matters..."

Brian Boru wrote:"Good to know."

"Brutal, but predictable."

"..."

"Oh the stories I could tell... why this one time..."

Huh

"Maybe it has not registered but in raw potential you're one of the most powerful beings in the 5 realms."

Raised Eyebrow... never mind.

He takes the silence as encouragement to tell you about it...

"Ah, I remember back when the 25th Emperor..."

"And here I was hoping the rankers were mindless automatons who'd panic if their superiors weren't there to tell them what to do all the time."

"They're angels, not humans..."

Yeah angel society must be Anathema to Demon folk.

Living Hell.

"Duly noted, and good to know where they stand.  Do the ones in the Mortal world answer to us or are they independent?"

"We generally have a degree of control... though far from absolute. Most reliable method is normally to choose a warlord and help him unite the tribes. The General is one such warlord."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:21 am

Psyckosama wrote:
Silver Sun 17 wrote:"So I'm a keystone. kill me before I have a son with the princess and everything comes tumbling down."

"More we'd have to summon void knows how many other poor saps and sit them on that chair to in hopes find the next one who doesn't explode on us before we have to start raiding the mortal realm for the spell components. Those rituals are not cheap."
"how expensive? enough to buy a house? a mansion? The trade value of a small kingdom?"

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:17 am

Silver Sun 17 wrote:"how expensive? enough to buy a house? a mansion? The trade value of a small kingdom?"

"Somewhere between the second and third options..."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:23 am

Psyckosama wrote:
"Somewhere between the second and third options..."
"And if that's per ritual and you have a high rate of failure..." I sit down in the nearest empty chair. "the desginer of that throne's defenses is likely the most paranoid person I've ever heard of." I lean back in the chair and pinch the bridge of my nose.

"Okay, let's move on to something else. how would you rate the current military, economic and political situations each on a scale of one to ten. the higher the better.

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:51 am

Psyckosama wrote:Yes. As in killers with some kind of ethical center rather than ones who do it entirely in the name of greed or simply for the lulz.

Those would probably be smart enough not to start anything though.

Ah. Well, one goes in hand with the other. It'll take time and effort to personally take control.

Seems the last few emperors never bothered and its gone to seed.

The citadel's guard should at least have some records on who's running what at the moment, and what groups are around.

... unpleasantness aside, this might actually be good practice for the upcoming clan meeting.

"They seem to get all huffy about pointless details such as preexisting feudal relationships, 'property rights', and the whole 'we were here first' issue. As if it really matters..."

"It's how they settle things between one-another, at least where a solution by force isn't practical. If they really did think they were there first then, from their perspective, sending out for Dragon Slayers was a reaction to a perceived act of war," I inform her. "Again, human memories aren't as long, their lives are similarly short, which is why they put such stock in records."

Snort. "Of course, it could have also been the case that such things existed and whoever ruled there conveniently forgot about them for the sake of greed. Certainly would not be the first time such a thing happened."
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Seraph Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:00 am

Psyckosama wrote:
Yep. After afew minutes your lead to a giant throne room.

On the throne is sitting a rather smug looking individual...

"Oh, hello cousin..."

The girl sneers in rage.

"How dare you..."

"How dare I what? Sit on your daddy's throne. Or is it your throne... oh wait, that's right, you can't inherit can you... after all, you're a woman and thus only good for that lukewarm hole between your thighs, right?"

With a roar of rage the girl flairs in dark power.

"Princess! NO!" the Priest exclaims.

She fires a massive blast of Black and Violet fire at the throne. It strikes against a massive shield and then purple lightening rebounds, consuming her in power as she screams in agony.

She falls to her kneels, painting...

"Oh, Ruby, you were always so easy to get all wound up..."

The priest steps forward and looks at the man on the throne.

"Just because you are of Royal Blood, doesn't mean you are KING!"

Then waves his hand and he's violently ejected.

As in literally thrown off the throne to crash into the floor infront of it.

"Heh... worth it!"
So she is the princess, daughter of the previous king.  But can't inherit because of her gender for whatever reason.  I flinched a bit as watch the Princess's own spell is reflected back on her after falling for her cousin's provocations.  As I watch him be ejected from the throne, I note that he isn't King either despite being the nephew of the previous King.  Was it something like Salic Law, that only the sons of fathers could inherit and this person could not inherit because his link to the royal family is through his mother?

As my thoughts drift back to why am I here, I think I realize what it was.  But something about it didn't add up.

"Is this why I'm here?  An empty throne and no suitable heir?" I politely inquire as I glance over the Princess and her trollish cousin.  But is that is indeed the case, why a stranger like myself instead of this prankster.  It is something I wanted to find out.

Seraph

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:19 am

Psyckosama wrote:"Brutal, but predictable."

good.

"Oh the stories I could tell... why this one time..."

After this conversation I'm planning to test the strength of my skull and horns on some unimportant wall for a while...

"Maybe it has not registered but in raw potential you're one of the most powerful beings in the 5 realms."

Right...need to remember that, I get in my head, still processing in my gut.

He takes the silence as encouragement to tell you about it...

"Ah, I remember back when the 25th Emperor..."

See above experiment with my skull and horns on a wall.

"They're angels, not humans..."

Noted, striking the 'head of the snake doesn't work'

Living Hell.

Eeesh.

"We generally have a degree of control... though far from absolute. Most reliable method is normally to choose a warlord and help him unite the tribes. The General is one such warlord."

"One such? Are there others?"
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:57 am

Silver Sun 17 wrote:"And if that's per ritual and you have a high rate of failure..." I sit down in the nearest empty chair. "the desginer of that throne's defenses is likely the most paranoid person I've ever heard of." I lean back in the chair and pinch the bridge of my nose.

"He expected to be eternal. It was only hard work and good fortune that allowed us any way around the defenses."

"Okay, let's move on to something else. how would you rate the current military, economic and political situations each on a scale of one to ten. the higher the better.

"Very complicated question that. And I am not sure I can put them to numbers. Militarily, we are still strong but have recently taken heavy losses. That might sound oxymornonic but we demons are natural warriors. Us not being strong would be odd. Economically, we are rather weak. We are dependent on trade and theft for food and in general, we lack a mindset suited to economics. Politically, we are as fractured as always."

Rieverre wrote:Those would probably be smart enough not to start anything though.

Demons are fiercely territorial.

The citadel's guard should at least have some records on who's running what at the moment, and what groups are around.

... unpleasantness aside, this might actually be good practice for the upcoming clan meeting.

Well, the Citidel Guards guard the palace. The city guards guard the city... and they're... pretty mired in the bullshit goings on.

"It's how they settle things between one-another, at least where a solution by force isn't practical. If they really did think they were there first then, from their perspective, sending out for Dragon Slayers was a reaction to a perceived act of war," I inform her. "Again, human memories aren't as long, their lives are similarly short, which is why they put such stock in records."

Snort. "Of course, it could have also been the case that such things existed and whoever ruled there conveniently forgot about them for the sake of greed. Certainly would not be the first time such a thing happened."

She sighs. "Humans are fools."

Seraph wrote:So she is the princess, daughter of the previous king.  But can't inherit because of her gender for whatever reason.  I flinched a bit as watch the Princess's own spell is reflected back on her after falling for her cousin's provocations.  As I watch him be ejected from the throne, I note that he isn't King either despite being the nephew of the previous King.  Was it something like Salic Law, that only the sons of fathers could inherit and this person could not inherit because his link to the royal family is through his mother?

As my thoughts drift back to why am I here, I think I realize what it was.  But something about it didn't add up.

"Is this why I'm here?  An empty throne and no suitable heir?" I politely inquire as I glance over the Princess and her trollish cousin.  But is that is indeed the case, why a stranger like myself instead of this prankster.  It is something I wanted to find out.

The idiot on the floor laughs. "Well, looks like you found a clever one!"

The priest sighs. "The method of inheritance is complicated and bound by the magic of the throne. Only the son of an emperor, born during his reign, can inherit the throne. Failing that, the ritual used to summon you is designed to summon individuals who may be close enough spiritually to trick the throne. And even then your progeny cannot inherit unless born to the imperial line."

The princess growls and spits up a bit of blood as she climbs to her feet, and glares at the asshole.

Brian Boru wrote:]After this conversation I'm planning to test the strength of my skull and horns on some unimportant wall for a while...

The wall gets a nice crater and you get a headache.

Right...need to remember that, I get in my head, still processing in my gut.

Yep...

See above experiment with my skull and horns on a wall.

Heh.

Noted, striking the 'head of the snake doesn't work'

"It can, but more due to the fact it takes time for them to reorient. But they rarely break."

"One such?  Are there others?"

"He's still mortal... even if his lifespan is magically extended."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:37 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Demons are fiercely territorial.

Yeah, but I was assuming they had some sense of self-preservation too. Wishful thinking probably. Besides, I'm very territorial too, and this _is_ my territory.

Well, the Citidel Guards guard the palace. The city guards guard the city... and they're... pretty mired in the bullshit goings on.

That's annoying. I momentarily contemplate burning it all down and starting again, then sigh and decide to acquire information anyway. Even if the city guard is mired in the bullshit. The Citadel guard likely has a line to them that won't draw as much attention as I would just walking to wherever they have their headquarters in person.

She sighs. "Humans are fools."

"In any number of cases, I'm certain this is indeed the truth, but some might be blamed on a difference in perspective. Things that make sense when you're looking at them from a distance might not be as clear cut when you're in closer proximity to the subject matter."

Fairly sure it continues in that vein and we while away the afternoon with small talk and getting to know one-another. That is, unless Blue has something more serious to discuss. But I'm perfectly okay with it being this way. Not every event has to be of vital importance and bring with it dire consequences.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Seraph Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:10 am

Psyckosama wrote:
The idiot on the floor laughs. "Well, looks like you found a clever one!"

The priest sighs. "The method of inheritance is complicated and bound by the magic of the throne. Only the son of an emperor, born during his reign, can inherit the throne. Failing that, the ritual used to summon you is designed to summon individuals who may be close enough spiritually to trick the throne. And even then your progeny cannot inherit unless born to the imperial line."

The princess growls and spits up a bit of blood as she climbs to her feet, and glares at the asshole.
"That explains a lot.  I was wondering why you didn't have the Princess or this fellow take the throne," I reply.  "So Kingship is based on this throne and I would likely have to marry the Princess.  Presuming this throne even accepts me.  Did I get that right?"  I ask of the priest inquisitively.

Seraph

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:18 am

Rieverre wrote:Yeah, but I was assuming they had some sense of self-preservation too. Wishful thinking probably. Besides, I'm very territorial too, and this _is_ my territory.

They're also aggressive and hot blooded. You'd probably have to gib a couple before the rest fell in line.

That's annoying. I momentarily contemplate burning it all down and starting again, then sigh and decide to acquire information anyway. Even if the city guard is mired in the bullshit. The Citadel guard likely has a line to them that won't draw as much attention as I would just walking to wherever they have their headquarters in person.

The Royal Guard is extremely loyal and are pretty much the personal army of the emperor.

That said, they're a bit undermanned right now. The Last Emperor went out with a bang.

"In any number of cases, I'm certain this is indeed the truth, but some might be blamed on a difference in perspective. Things that make sense when you're looking at them from a distance might not be as clear cut when you're in closer proximity to the subject matter."

The problem is they seem to not know their place. She will give humans some credit, they're not prey... eating them is such a bother and she's always frowned upon the fools who demand the sacrifice of princesses (unless they have some from of magical bloodline and its for breeding use) but they seem to think they're the masters of all they see. Foolish, arrogant creatures...

Fairly sure it continues in that vein and we while away the afternoon with small talk and getting to know one-another. That is, unless Blue has something more serious to discuss. But I'm perfectly okay with it being this way. Not every event has to be of vital importance and bring with it dire consequences.

IT does. Anything you want to bring up? Like the mount thing or anything?

Seraph wrote:"That explains a lot.  I was wondering why you didn't have the Princess or this fellow take the throne," I reply.  "So Kingship is based on this throne and I would likely have to marry the Princess.  Presuming this throne even accepts me.  Did I get that right?"  I ask of the priest inquisitively.

"Yes. Exactly. The power of the throne, and the magic contained within are literally what makes the Demon Emperor the Emperor and without it, it's a title that would easily be forgotten in the fractious nature of the Dark World."

He grins.

"So, would you like to begin the ritual?"

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:59 am

Psyckosama wrote:
"He expected to be eternal. It was only hard work and good fortune that allowed us any way around the defenses."

"Sounds like someone should have read the evil overlord list. Did he day saying something about it being impossible?"

"Very complicated question that. And I am not sure I can put them to numbers. Militarily, we are still strong but have recently taken heavy losses. That might sound oxymornonic but we demons are natural warriors. Us not being strong would be odd. Economically, we are rather weak. We are dependent on trade and theft for food and in general, we lack a mindset suited to economics. Politically, we are as fractured as always."

"That... is not good. I would guess finding a way to reduce the dependence on food imports would likely strengthen the Empire greatly. water aligned magic might make hydroponics possible but getting beings who are good at water magic to be farmers will be like pulling teeth i wager."

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:03 am

Silver Sun 17 wrote:"Sounds like someone should have read the evil overlord list. Did he day saying something about it being impossible?"

"Evil Overlord List?

"That... is not good. I would guess finding a way to reduce the dependence on food imports would likely strengthen the Empire greatly. water aligned magic might make hydroponics possible but getting beings who are good at water magic to be farmers will be like pulling teeth i wager."

"This realm is elementally aligned to fire," he states. "And what is hydroponics?"

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:20 am

Psyckosama wrote:

"Evil Overlord List?
"To amuse themselves someone went over the actions of fictional evil rulers and wrote a list of about 100 rules to follow to avoid getting defeated by heroes. over the years since then it's been expanded to almost 300.

"This realm is elementally aligned to fire," he states. "And what is hydroponics?"
"Hyrdoponics are a way to grow food without farmable land. I'm over simplifying but you mix water with decent compost and grow the crops in that water. But if this realm is aligned with fire then it's likely going to be just as hard as doing it without magic as my homeworld is trying to figure out.

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:15 am

Psyckosama wrote:The wall gets a nice crater and you get a headache.

Are the horrible images hammered out of my brain?

If not I GET HAMMERED!

"It can, but more due to the fact it takes time for them to reorient. But they rarely break."

Still useful information thank you.

"He's still mortal... even if his lifespan is magically extended."

"Ah nevermind then." I incline my head and thank him for for the information and unless there's anything he wishes to bring up I let him go on his way.

Guess it's back to more practice, more reading, and more scouting out the Princess, the female cousin, and the other important members of the court.

I prepare for the clan head meeting and hope I don't make a fool of myself. Remember, firm, and polite. While I have potential I'm not skilled enough to use it properly like swinging a club against professional swordsmen, at least one of whom could take me on strength for strength on top of his much greater skill.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:45 am

Psyckosama wrote:They're also aggressive and hot blooded. You'd probably have to gib a couple before the rest fell in line.

I'd only maim them a little!

The Royal Guard is extremely loyal and are pretty much the personal army of the emperor.

That said, they're a bit undermanned right now. The Last Emperor went out with a bang.

I assume recruitment of replacements is in the works already?

The problem is they seem to not know their place. She will give humans some credit, they're not prey... eating them is such a bother and she's always frowned upon the fools who demand the sacrifice of princesses (unless they have some from of magical bloodline and its for breeding use) but they seem to think they're the masters of all they see. Foolish, arrogant creatures...

There's a certain pot-kettledness to that which I won't be calling her out on.

I do say that audacity is both humanity's greatest advantage and pitfall at the same time. Still, she's just made the point herself - fools can naturally occur, no matter the race.

IT does. Anything you want to bring up? Like the mount thing or anything?

Actually, _while_ we're in a reasonably isolated portion of the Citadel where other than various examples of flora there aren't too many breakables, I might as well let her know that for obvious reasons - such as the fact that I don't really have much experience with this level of management and Ruby would likely end up doing most of that anyway - it's my intent to make Ruby Eyes my Vizier and announce it during the clan meeting.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Seraph Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:11 am

Psyckosama wrote:
Seraph wrote:"That explains a lot.  I was wondering why you didn't have the Princess or this fellow take the throne," I reply.  "So Kingship is based on this throne and I would likely have to marry the Princess.  Presuming this throne even accepts me.  Did I get that right?"  I ask of the priest inquisitively.

"Yes. Exactly. The power of the throne, and the magic contained within are literally what makes the Demon Emperor the Emperor and without it, it's a title that would easily be forgotten in the fractious nature of the Dark World."

He grins.

"So, would you like to begin the ritual?"
"What are the risks? I did see the throne defend itself," I pointed out objectively. Considering how it reacted to the Princess, like something dangerous. "And presuming it works, what then? I am a stranger to your culture and way of life after all."

Seraph

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:19 am

Silver Sun 17 wrote:
"To amuse themselves someone went over the actions of fictional evil rulers and wrote a list of about 100 rules to follow to avoid getting defeated by heroes. over the years since then it's been expanded to almost 300.

"Interesting... you wouldn't have happened to have memorized it, have oyu?"

"Hyrdoponics are a way to grow food without farmable land. I'm over simplifying but you mix water with decent compost and grow the crops in that water. But if this realm is aligned with fire then it's likely going to be just as hard as doing it without magic as my homeworld is trying to figure out.

"Interesting. It might be worth kidnapping some water mages to find out."

Brian Boru wrote:Are the horrible images hammered out of my brain?

No

If not I GET HAMMERED!

You start looking for a hammer.

Still useful information thank you.

Nd.

"Ah nevermind then."  I incline my head and thank him for for the information and unless there's anything he wishes to bring up I let him go on his way.

Guess it's back to more practice, more reading, and more scouting out the Princess, the female cousin, and the other important members of the court.

Yep.

I prepare for the clan head meeting and hope I don't make a fool of myself.  Remember, firm, and polite.  While I have potential I'm not skilled enough to use it properly like swinging a club against professional swordsmen, at least one of whom could take me on strength for strength on top of his much greater skill.

Anything you want to do before the meeting?

You have the time.

Rieverre wrote:I'd only maim them a little!

You'd look soft. If the words "reduced to a thin red paste", "exploded like a blood sausage", or "screaming font of gore" aren't appropriate you've probably been too light handed...

I assume recruitment of replacements is in the works already?

Sadly, not with speed. Normally the Emperor and his handmiadens chose his guard based on his personal fighting style.

There's a certain pot-kettledness to that which I won't be calling her out on.

She's a dragon. There's a reason they say "as proud as a dragon" or "as arrogant as a wyrm"

I do say that audacity is both humanity's greatest advantage and pitfall at the same time. Still, she's just made the point herself - fools can naturally occur, no matter the race.

"They can be annoyingly persistant."

Actually, _while_ we're in a reasonably isolated portion of the Citadel where other than various examples of flora there aren't too many breakables, I might as well let her know that for obvious reasons - such as the fact that I don't really have much experience with this level of management and Ruby would likely end up doing most of that anyway - it's my intent to make Ruby Eyes my Vizier and announce it during the clan meeting.

She puffs up then sighs. "Well, she's reasonably competent and sadly you are going to have to live with her. So I guess sacrifices must be made in the name of household peace..."

Seraph wrote:"What are the risks?  I did see the throne defend itself," I pointed out objectively.  Considering how it reacted to the Princess, like something dangerous.  "And presuming it works, what then?  I am a stranger to your culture and way of life after all."

The priest pauses for a moment, "There is some danger..."

"Meaning that you'll probably be cooked inside out, screaming in agony with fire shooting from your eyes before your head explodes..." the smartass says with a smile, "Like the other 12."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:27 am

Psyckosama wrote:
"Interesting... you wouldn't have happened to have memorized it, have oyu?"
"not completely but i remember great deal of it. Though i suspect i have broken number 22. No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

"any groups with talent for non-fire magic already in the empire? best to start local before importing talent."

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:18 am

Psyckosama wrote:You'd look soft. If the words "reduced to a thin red paste", "exploded like a blood sausage", or "screaming font of gore" aren't appropriate you've probably been too light handed...

Bah. Heavy-handed philistines with no artistry to their souls.

Sadly, not with speed. Normally the Emperor and his handmiadens chose his guard based on his personal fighting style.

... which I don't really have yet. Joy. Or rather, I'm not in a position to clearly see what it's going to be yet. The handmaidens likely have more of an idea by now so they can take it on as their side-project.

"They can be annoyingly persistant."

"I'd say they're right up there but I can't really make an informed judgement before I've seen what the local gnomes are like. Because gnomes."

She puffs up then sighs. "Well, she's reasonably competent and sadly you are going to have to live with her. So I guess sacrifices must be made in the name of household peace..."

"And she was as much as doing the job anyway already," I shrug. "It's probably also preferable to not let the house appear divided during the clan meeting. I expect it will be interesting enough regardless, without helping any of the attendees get ideas."
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Seraph Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:55 pm

Psyckosama wrote:The priest pauses for a moment, "There is some danger..."

"Meaning that you'll probably be cooked inside out, screaming in agony with fire shooting from your eyes before your head explodes..." the smartass says with a smile, "Like the other 12."
My face turns blank as the troll bluntly tells me what will likely happen.  To be honest, I'm not that surprised as it explains the other actions.  I'm not sure about this guy's angle though, unless being a troll is all that he is.  

"You're quite forthcoming with information," I reply simply as I then turn to the Priest and Princess.  "If what he says is true, my chances aren't great.  Why should I accept this?  I can understand this is greatly important for you, but why should I take the risks and, if it succeeds, the responsibility of rulership?"  Despite the attempt to withhold the dangerous risks, I held no hostility for them.

It was obvious that having the Demon King was that important that they were willing to neglect to mention it, on top of allowing a complete stranger take the throne.  In that light, it was understandable.  But I wasn't willing to just risk my life and then commit to a life of great responsibility, of which I had no prior training for even if some of what I knew would be helpful, for this people I did not know.  Not to mention I was still on the fence about presuming about having to marry the Princess.  Even if she is quite the looker.

Seraph

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:44 pm

Silver Sun 17 wrote:"not completely but i remember great deal of it. Though i suspect i have broken number 22. No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

He laughs. "Very wise... ideally it is best to divide such power sources into more manageable head sized chunks."

He does look VERY amused by this.

"Tell more more..."

He glances into a corner and nods.

And you have the sudden feeling that you just issued a royal order...

"any groups with talent for non-fire magic already in the empire? best to start local before importing talent."

"Yes. Several clans. For example the Laima clan have a very rare gift for Earth and Light magic as they are a race found both here and in the Spirit Realm."

Rieverre wrote:Bah. Heavy-handed philistines with no artistry to their souls.

They like clear and explosive examples.

... which I don't really have yet. Joy. Or rather, I'm not in a position to clearly see what it's going to be yet. The handmaidens likely have more of an idea by now so they can take it on as their side-project.

"Understandably, most emperors do not enter into it ignorant of their power. But if you have any vision for what you'd like them to be under your command... this is the time to shape it."

"I'd say they're right up there but I can't really make an informed judgement before I've seen what the local gnomes are like. Because gnomes."

She looks befuddled. Bit of a non sequitur. That or she wonders how anyone could like gnomes. Or maybe a bit of both.

"And she was as much as doing the job anyway already," I shrug. "It's probably also preferable to not let the house appear divided during the clan meeting. I expect it will be interesting enough regardless, without helping any of the attendees get ideas."

"Very true. Though do understand I will be your ally in this if you will have me." she gives you a coy smile.

Seraph wrote:My face turns blank as the troll bluntly tells me what will likely happen.  To be honest, I'm not that surprised as it explains the other actions.  I'm not sure about this guy's angle though, unless being a troll is all that he is.  

He looks like he's enjoying the trolling... that's for sure.

"You're quite forthcoming with information," I reply simply as I then turn to the Priest and Princess.  "If what he says is true, my chances aren't great.  Why should I accept this?  I can understand this is greatly important for you, but why should I take the risks and, if it succeeds, the responsibility of rulership?"  Despite the attempt to withhold the dangerous risks, I held no hostility for them.

The priest glares at the troll, who grins. "And this is why we don't tell them."

"I thought that was the explody part?"

"That too..."

The princess growls. It's a feral sound that sounds like it should be coming out of a tiger, not a woman. "Because if we don't get a demon emperor our entire society will collapse. And you will have a front row seat for the carnage. And unlike us, you're not immune to fire and supernaturally resistant to injury."

It was obvious that having the Demon King was that important that they were willing to neglect to mention it, on top of allowing a complete stranger take the throne.  In that light, it was understandable.  But I wasn't willing to just risk my life and then commit to a life of great responsibility, of which I had no prior training for even if some of what I knew would be helpful, for this people I did not know.  Not to mention I was still on the fence about presuming about having to marry the Princess.  Even if she is quite the looker.

They never said marry, just mate with...

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:25 am

Psyckosama wrote:

He laughs. "Very wise... ideally it is best to divide such power sources into more manageable head sized chunks."

He does look VERY amused by this.

"Tell more more..."

He glances into a corner and nods.

And you have the sudden feeling that you just issued a royal order...
I'll have to write the list down for you considering the sheer number but the most relvent is 124: Prior to kidnapping an older male scientist and forcing him to work for me, I will investigate his offspring and make sure that he has neither a beautiful but naive daughter who is willing to risk anything to get him back, nor an estranged son who works in the same field but had a falling-out with his father many years ago.

in the case of the daughter leave a forged letter claiming the father received a special job offer and a case filled with enough local currency to support the family. they won't come looking that way. as for an estranged son in the same feild grab him to.

"Yes. Several clans. For example the Laima clan have a very rare gift for Earth and Light magic as they are a race found both here and in the Spirit Realm."

both light and earth magic would be useful for the project. assigning Laima's to administrative positions over the hydroponics project if it's feasible might be a bargaining chip to use with them to keep them on our side.

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum