Chapter 1: The Beginning

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Chapter 1: The Beginning

Post by Brian Boru on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:20 am

Psyckosama wrote:"Hey, man... don't get sad." she offers you the stem of her hooka. "Come on, take a hit and relax dude."

I take a long look at it first before I ask, "This ain't the stuff that makes me run 'round nekkid in the streets is it? 'Cause momma'd be down right heart broken iffen she heard I'd done somethin like tha'"

Other wise a polite puff...nothing absurdly deep.
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:23 am

Brian Boru wrote:I take a long look at it first before I ask, "This ain't the stuff that makes me run 'round nekkid in the streets is it?  'Cause momma'd be down right heart broken iffen she heard I'd done somethin like tha'"

Other wise a polite puff...nothing absurdly deep.

She laughs. "You're a funny one. Nah. This is stuff that'll help you kick back and relax."

Rieverre wrote:"Two more where that came from. I was going to keep one on me and see if I couldn't leverage it with an innkeeper or actual cook, but I guess I could be convinced to part with the lot of it," I hedge a bit, smiling. If he makes me a good offer, well, that'll be another story and I still have that bottle of vinegar and toaster oven.

I'm not even going to mention the repair manual though.

"Break 'em out."

Psyckosama
Admin

View user profile http://giantstompyrobots.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:28 am

Psyckosama wrote:"Break 'em out."

I pull the two other cookbooks out of Eyesore's packs and show them to the guy.

"Don't suppose you've got any writing paper to sell? And something you can write with?" I ask while he's looking them over. Ever so often I'd run into something I couldn't just strap onto a mule or pry loose.

Also, on my way into Somerset, did I notice any agriculture going on nearby?
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:00 am

Rieverre wrote:I pull the two other cookbooks out of Eyesore's packs and show them to the guy.

"Don't suppose you've got any writing paper to sell? And something you can write with?" I ask while he's looking them over. Ever so often I'd run into something I couldn't just strap onto a mule or pry loose.

"I do have a number of note books..."

He smiles and looks through the others. "Hmmm... how about we do a trade in goods. I'll take these three, and you get to pick something out of my stock to your liking. I'll even throw in the notebook with some pencils as a chaser."

Also, on my way into Somerset, did I notice any agriculture going on nearby?

Quite a bit actually... you even passed within eyeshot of what looks to be a cattle ranch.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:09 am

Psyckosama wrote:"I do have a number of note books..."

He smiles and looks through the others. "Hmmm... how about we do a trade in goods. I'll take these three, and you get to pick something out of my stock to your liking. I'll even throw in the notebook with some pencils as a chaser."

"Come on, you're breaking my balls here," I reply. "Book for a book, book for a notebook and pencils. And you compensate me for the third one."

Yes, I might be going a bit high, but haggling is sort of expected given how these things go.

Quite a bit actually... you even passed within eyeshot of what looks to be a cattle ranch.

In which case, I likely have more than ample clientele for the plow attachment. I'll hold off on selling it until I get a better lay of the land tho.
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:12 am

Rieverre wrote:"Come on, you're breaking my balls here," I reply. "Book for a book, book for a notebook and pencils. And you compensate me for the third one."

"No offense, friend, but my books are better. Cookbooks are a difficult market. Like I said, most of what goes into them is almost impossible to find. Most people buy them as a starting point to reverse engineer not to cook from."

Yes, I might be going a bit high, but haggling is sort of expected given how these things go.

Roll.

In which case, I likely have more than ample clientele for the plow attachment. I'll hold off on selling it until I get a better lay of the land tho.

Yep. And waiting for that slave auction might help. You'll probably have a number of people coming into town looking for agricultural equipment then...

And yes, I know just how horrible that sounds.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:35 am

Psyckosama wrote:"No offense, friend, but my books are better. Cookbooks are a difficult market. Like I said, most of what goes into them is almost impossible to find. Most people buy them as a starting point to reverse engineer not to cook from."

"That's the way cooking always works, you know," I argue.

Roll.

Appeal(2) + Persuade(3) rolling

Yep. And waiting for that slave auction might help. You'll probably have a number of people coming into town looking for agricultural equipment then...

And yes, I know just how horrible that sounds.

Nah, that makes sense. I was actually going to angle for something else, but that sounds even better.
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice Bot on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:35 am

The member 'Rieverre' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd6' : 5, 3

Dice Bot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:49 am

Rieverre wrote:"That's the way cooking always works, you know," I argue.

"Most people don't have the resources for that, sadly. Offer stills stands, but if you'd like I'll give you some fast advice with it."

Nah, that makes sense. I was actually going to angle for something else, but that sounds even better.

Just call it your mercantile sense kicking in.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:56 am

Psyckosama wrote:"Most people don't have the resources for that, sadly. Offer stills stands, but if you'd like I'll give you some fast advice with it."

"Far be it from me to turn down advice. I might not end up taking it, but I'll certainly always listen to it."

Also, since negotiations didn't net me anything more than the starting offer, I'll go with that. And since he offered _any_ books ... does he have any repair and maintenance handbooks? One of those (or, you know, another one of those) will be a gift that keeps on giving for someone in my line of work.

Just call it your mercantile sense kicking in.

Ka-ching!
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:12 am

Rieverre wrote:
Psyckosama wrote:"Most people don't have the resources for that, sadly. Offer stills stands, but if you'd like I'll give you some fast advice with it."

"Far be it from me to turn down advice. I might not end up taking it, but I'll certainly always listen to it."

Also, since negotiations didn't net me anything more than the starting offer, I'll go with that. And since he offered _any_ books ... does he have any repair and maintenance handbooks? One of those (or, you know, another one of those) will be a gift that keeps on giving for someone in my line of work.

In fact he does. Though you might have to negotiate a little bit more for something really special.

There's always the implied "within reason".

"My advice is this. When looking for books, you won't find them in the places you always expect to find them. Back then books were everywhere. You'd be surprised where they turn up. You just have to develop a nose for them."

Ka-ching!

Heh.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:36 am

Psyckosama wrote:In fact he does. Though you might have to negotiate a little bit more for something really special.

I'll see what I can find going over the wares he has on display before I do any of that.

Rolling Senses(4). I imagine either Scavenge(4) or Notice(3) applies?

"My advice is this. When looking for books, you won't find them in the places you always expect to find them. Back then books were everywhere. You'd be surprised where they turn up. You just have to develop a nose for them."

I just nod. It's not something I wasn't aware of, seeing as I found one of those cookbooks in the back of what used to be a car, another in - judging by the still intact vinegar bottle - a pantry of some sort and the last one under a bed.
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice Bot on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:36 am

The member 'Rieverre' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd6' : 3, 1, 4, 3

Dice Bot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:45 am

Rieverre wrote:I'll see what I can find going over the wares he has on display before I do any of that.

Rolling Senses(4). I imagine either Scavenge(4) or Notice(3) applies?

Well, you do notice something you think he might be willing to pass on.

"A Scout's Guide to Electronics"

I just nod. It's not something I wasn't aware of, seeing as I found one of those cookbooks in the back of what used to be a car, another in - judging by the still intact vinegar bottle - a pantry of some sort and the last one under a bed.

Hey, from the looks of this guy, he's sure as hell doing something right.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:03 am

Psyckosama wrote:Well, you do notice something you think he might be willing to pass on.

"A Scout's Guide to Electronics"

That actually ought to work rather well with the manual on electric repair I already have. I flip through it just to make sure, but chances are I'm going to want this.

Hey, from the looks of this guy, he's sure as hell doing something right.

Yes, but I doubt that something is going out and getting the books himself. At least not anymore. He's rolling around with a literal fortune here - how many guards does he have? I suspect he's good at recognizing quality and negotiating though.

Anyway, after the deal's done I ask how long he'll be in town for, say my goodbyes, and head over to Shaundi's. If they have a doorman, I'm going to ask if they have a stable I could put Eyesore in, first thing, as well as inquiring about a room. I'm not going to let my mule out in the street while loaded down with as much potentially valuable salvage as I have on him. Even if I look like a bit of a walking arsenal myself at the moment.
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RTM on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:27 pm

Psyckosama wrote:It's midday. See previous descriptions.

OOC: You are not inspiring confidence as a GM with this. Neutral

IC: Approaching the location to the inn he was recommended by Bill, Richard saw it, built out of an old duplex house, one of the doors is boarded over with a large wooden sign that said "Shaundi's" and he could already smell the smoke of marijuana, tobacco and the like, wafting over to him from the entrance.

Walking inside, Richard saw what looked like a stereotypical drinking establishment, so stereotypical that his eyes mostly slid off most of the details, which never were really remembered. There was a reason for that of course, one of the main eye catchers were the servers, all female serving staff that was basically almost naked, bringing drinks and the like while their assets bounced along with their stride, giggling when the customers swat their behinds and slipping into the back of the building for "other" services.

The other eye catches was probably the only other employee in the building and most likely the eponymous Shaundi, a pretty woman wearing purple jeans, dark body hugging shirt, purple bandana, leather choker and several other accessories Richard didn't bother mentally looking a name for. She was apparently the one serving out the drinks, but currently talking to a strong and tough looking man wearing pants and a coat over a flannel shirt, offering him a hit from her hookah.

Face as stony as possible so as to not overly react to the serving staff, Richard headed towards the bar and took a free seat, quickly glancing over the drinks selection to see if there was anything not too strong, so as to know what to order for if this place didn't turn out to be an inn and Bill had sent him to a brothel of some sort. So he could basically order one drink, finish it and leave, and not insult the owner too much by leaving right of the bat without at least paying for one drink.

He thought about maybe also asking the bartender about his parents or local news, but honestly that was probably not going to work, so he would limit himself to asking about booking some lodgings for the night or finding out where the real inn was if this wasn't the place.
RTM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Psyckosama wrote:She laughs. "You're a funny one. Nah. This is stuff that'll help you kick back and relax."

"Alright, but iffen I go bonkers then you're gonna have t' knock me out."

OOC: I assume 'the colors man!' assumes after that.
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:08 pm

Rieverre wrote:That actually ought to work rather well with the manual on electric repair I already have. I flip through it just to make sure, but chances are I'm going to want this.

It seems a lot more base level than the one you have. This is a SELF TEACHING reference for young people...

Yes, but I doubt that something is going out and getting the books himself. At least not anymore. He's rolling around with a literal fortune here - how many guards does he have? I suspect he's good at recognizing quality and negotiating though.

None you can see... though there's a good chance they've been told to blend.

Anyway, after the deal's done I ask how long he'll be in town for, say my goodbyes, and head over to Shaundi's. If they have a doorman, I'm going to ask if they have a stable I could put Eyesore in, first thing, as well as inquiring about a room. I'm not going to let my mule out in the street while loaded down with as much potentially valuable salvage as I have on him. Even if I look like a bit of a walking arsenal myself at the moment.

They don't have a cover man. That said, this town is full of guards.

RTM wrote:OOC: You are not inspiring confidence as a GM with this. Neutral

Bite me for not wanting to copy paste everything 20 times :p

IC: Approaching the location to the inn he was recommended by Bill, Richard saw it, built out of an old duplex house, one of the doors is boarded over with a large wooden sign that said "Shaundi's" and he could already smell the smoke of marijuana, tobacco and the like, wafting over to him from the entrance.

Walking inside, Richard saw what looked like a stereotypical drinking establishment, so stereotypical that his eyes mostly slid off most of the details, which never were really remembered. There was a reason for that of course, one of the main eye catchers were the servers, all female serving staff that was basically almost naked, bringing drinks and the like while their assets bounced along with their stride, giggling when the customers swat their behinds and slipping into the back of the building for "other" services.

The other eye catches was probably the only other employee in the building and most likely the eponymous Shaundi, a pretty woman wearing purple jeans, dark body hugging shirt, purple bandana, leather choker and several other accessories Richard didn't bother mentally looking a name for. She was apparently the one serving out the drinks, but currently talking to a strong and tough looking man wearing pants and a coat over a flannel shirt, offering him a hit from her hookah.

Face as stony as possible so as to not overly react to the serving staff, Richard headed towards the bar and took a free seat, quickly glancing over the drinks selection to see if there was anything not too strong, so as to know what to order for if this place didn't turn out to be an inn and Bill had sent him to a brothel of some sort. So he could basically order one drink, finish it and leave, and not insult the owner too much by leaving right of the bat without at least paying for one drink.

He thought about maybe also asking the bartender about his parents or local news, but honestly that was probably not going to work, so he would limit himself to asking about booking some lodgings for the night or finding out where the real inn was if this wasn't the place.

"Hey," Shaundi spoke to him in a calm voice. "What's your poison?"

Brian Boru wrote:"Alright, but iffen I go bonkers then you're gonna have t' knock me out."

OOC:  I assume 'the colors man!' assumes after that.

More "wow, I am so fucking relaxed right now..."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RTM on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:38 pm

Psyckosama wrote:"Hey," Shaundi spoke to him in a calm voice. "What's your poison?"

"Beer I guess." Richard shrugged as the bartender asked, face relaxing slightly as the almost naked servers were now behind him and out of sight. It's not that he couldn't appreciate their beauty and all, it's just he felt uncomfortable. Dwight raised him well as he'd liked to think. "How much for that? Also, I've been told this place is an inn... how much for a room for the night."
RTM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:09 pm

Psyckosama wrote:More "wow, I am so fucking relaxed right now..."

Likely chuckling like a kid on helium I turn to Shaundi, "Wow...stuff's nice....he he he he he he he he ...."

Looking Shaundi over I chuckle again... "Did'ya know? I never met a girl tha' wasn't a cousin till today...so 'might be wrong when I'm thinking yer the prettiest girl I ever saw...girl...he he he he half the reason I came t' town was cuz me mama an' pops wanted me t' find a girl t' bring home...heh heh...though how's I's supposed t' do that I don't know nothin' 'bout girls n' cousins don' count!"

Blinking at the other guy that came in I smile and say, "You tried this stuff?" Pointing at the hookah, haven't felt this relaxed since I ate that cactus by accident when I was three...course I woke up 6 miles from home and up a tree buck nekkid howling about the green polka doted gerbils wanting to eat my nose hairs...."

And that sets me off laughing my ass again...
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RTM on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Brian Boru wrote:Blinking at the other guy that came in I smile and say, "You tried this stuff?" Pointing at the hookah, haven't felt this relaxed since I ate that cactus by accident when I was three...course I woke up 6 miles from home and up a tree buck nekkid howling about the green polka doted gerbils wanting to eat my nose hairs...."

And that sets me off laughing my ass again...

"Not really." Richard replied to the question, shifting slightly, the intoxicated man making him a bit uncomfortable, if only for a moment.
RTM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:22 pm

RTM wrote:"Not really." Richard replied to the question, shifting slightly, the intoxicated man making him a bit uncomfortable, if only for a moment.

Shrugging at the man I mutter, "Suit yerself." Then if Shaundi's still there I blabber about Boomer, the farm's stud bull that I helped raise. In my mind's eye I see Disney's Ferdinand the bull, but the picture I draw sounds more like the bull from that Loony Tunes episode where Bugs was a matador....on steroids.... Razz 
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:26 am

Psyckosama wrote:It seems a lot more base level than the one you have. This is a SELF TEACHING reference for young people...

Well, I'm not exactly an expert, but every little bit helps. If I'm going to be learning this stuff rather than just using the books as a reference every time this is probably going to be the right thing to start with.

They don't have a cover man. That said, this town is full of guards.

Considering Eyesore's pretty much carrying my livelihood on his back a place to get him squared away is kind of a must and literally what I'll be looking for before negotiating anything for myself.
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:38 pm

RTM wrote:"Beer I guess." Richard shrugged as the bartender asked, face relaxing slightly as the almost naked servers were now behind him and out of sight. It's not that he couldn't appreciate their beauty and all, it's just he felt uncomfortable. Dwight raised him well as he'd liked to think. "How much for that? Also, I've been told this place is an inn... how much for a room for the night."

"Well, depends man... do you want a private room, do you want to share a room, do you want to share a private room, or you just want a spot in the flop?"

Brian Boru wrote:Likely chuckling like a kid on helium I turn to Shaundi, "Wow...stuff's nice....he he he he he he he he ...."

"Yeah man, ain't it?"

Looking Shaundi over I chuckle again... "Did'ya know?  I never met a girl tha' wasn't a cousin till today...so 'might be wrong when I'm thinking yer the prettiest girl I ever saw...girl...he he he he half the reason I came t' town was cuz me mama an' pops wanted me t' find a girl t' bring home...heh heh...though how's I's supposed t' do that I don't know nothin' 'bout girls n' cousins don' count!"  

"Wow. Deep."

Shrugging at the man I mutter, "Suit yerself."  Then if Shaundi's still there I blabber about Boomer, the farm's stud bull that I helped raise. In my mind's eye I see Disney's Ferdinand the bull, but the picture I draw sounds more like the bull from that Loony Tunes episode where Bugs was a matador....on steroids.... Razz 

She listens and laughs and takes the Hooka back. She dips the stem in something to disinfect it before taking another hit.

Rieverre wrote:Well, I'm not exactly an expert, but every little bit helps. If I'm going to be learning this stuff rather than just using the books as a reference every time this is probably going to be the right thing to start with.

Alright. So you take that one?

Considering Eyesore's pretty much carrying my livelihood on his back a place to get him squared away is kind of a must and literally what I'll be looking for before negotiating anything for myself.

There are some on the other side of the square.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:47 am

Psyckosama wrote:Alright. So you take that one?

Yeah.

There are some on the other side of the square.

Some other inns that actually do have stables, or just stables?
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RTM on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:34 am

Psyckosama wrote:
RTM wrote:"Beer I guess." Richard shrugged as the bartender asked, face relaxing slightly as the almost naked servers were now behind him and out of sight. It's not that he couldn't appreciate their beauty and all, it's just he felt uncomfortable. Dwight raised him well as he'd liked to think. "How much for that? Also, I've been told this place is an inn... how much for a room for the night."

"Well, depends man... do you want a private room, do you want to share a room, do you want to share a private room, or you just want a spot in the flop?"

After a moment of trying to parse what Shaundi was offering and decide what to chose, Richard glances back at the servers and decides to clarify. "I just need a place to sleep for the night, without room service or whatever."
RTM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Rieverre wrote:Some other inns that actually do have stables, or just stables?

Stables.

RTM wrote:After a moment of trying to parse what Shaundi was offering and decide what to chose, Richard glances back at the servers and decides to clarify. "I just need a place to sleep for the night, without room service or whatever."

"So, that would be the flop?"

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Stables.

This is really weird. Considering how common riding animals are again, I'd have thought that having inns with stable attached would only make sense. Especially at a place that gets as much traffic as Somerset appears to.

Eh. Well, it's not as thought I don't have the time to look for one of those. If I can't find it I can always go explore separate arrangements.
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RTM on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Psyckosama wrote:
RTM wrote:After a moment of trying to parse what Shaundi was offering and decide what to chose, Richard glances back at the servers and decides to clarify. "I just need a place to sleep for the night, without room service or whatever."

"So, that would be the flop?"

"If that's what I'm looking for, sure. How much do I pay?" Richard asked with a shrug.
RTM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:25 pm

RTM wrote:"If that's what I'm looking for, sure. How much do I pay?" Richard asked with a shrug.

"Do you care about privacy? If not, it's probably the best option.

Rieverre wrote:This is really weird. Considering how common riding animals are again, I'd have thought that having inns with stable attached would only make sense. Especially at a place that gets as much traffic as Somerset appears to.

Eh. Well, it's not as thought I don't have the time to look for one of those. If I can't find it I can always go explore separate arrangements.

This place is built around a suburban small gated community type housing estate. One entrance/exit and lots of fencing with many a cul-de-sac. Most of the buildings are prewar and even the areas you're in now seems like it was once upon a time a public park area.

Infact, It's where they got the name... the town is... Scotchbrook.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top