There is no Fire and Ice. There is only the Force.

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: There is no Fire and Ice. There is only the Force.

Post by Psyckosama on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Rieverre wrote:Jon Snow the Jedi ... seems almost a mite stereotypical, but I guess cliches exist for a reason.

Yep. And considering he was willing and happy to join a far less pleasant monastic order with an outright ban on family and holding lands, becoming a wandering defender of peace and justice from an order which traditionally only frowns upon such things would be a step up...

Stop that, head-Obi-wan.

"No."

Anyways the boy's head lifts up and he starts to look about.

"Who's there?"

Seems he sensed your presence. Even if he can't see you.

Psyckosama
Admin

View user profile http://giantstompyrobots.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Yep. And considering he was willing and happy to join a far less pleasant monastic order with an outright ban on family and holding lands, becoming a wandering defender of peace and justice from an order which traditionally only frowns upon such things would be a step up...

Not like I'm likely to keep that tradition anyway. ^^

"No."

Anyways the boy's head lifts up and he starts to look about.

"Who's there?"

Seems he sensed your presence. Even if he can't see you.

I'd call that impressive, but this is familiar ground for him and Tholme I'm not. Wishes to the contrary aside.

I think I've seen enough here, it's time to retreat, this time actually concealing my presence.

I'll get some sleep and come up to the castle in the morning, I think. The wandering swordsman routine and asking for a bout with their arms instructor might actually work, here if not necessarily elsewhere.
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:52 pm

Rieverre wrote:Not like I'm likely to keep that tradition anyway. ^^

There are reasons. Even if they seemed to become obnoxiously overzealous about it at times.

I'd call that impressive, but this is familiar ground for him and Tholme I'm not. Wishes to the contrary aside.

Still impressive...

I think I've seen enough here, it's time to retreat, this time actually concealing my presence.

That just makes him stand up and start to look around.

I'll get some sleep and come up to the castle in the morning, I think. The wandering swordsman routine and asking for a bout with their arms instructor might actually work, here if not necessarily elsewhere.

Alright. I the morning you show up at the door. The guards demand that you identify yourself.

Introductions are in order.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Psyckosama wrote:There are reasons. Even if they seemed to become obnoxiously overzealous about it at times.

Err ... the reason was political. Back before the reformation happened, there was already a Temple, but temple Jedi were mostly sidelined and basically navel-contemplating. Then Ruusan happened, Kaan Thought-Bomb-ed the Army of Light's leadership and premier forces out of existence, the Republic had its reformation and the Temple Jedi were smug and superior assholes to what was basically a bunch of shellshocked veterans of a war they'd been to full of themselves to fight. There are the assholes who made up the leadership of the reformed Jedi Order.

Soooooo yeah ...

That just makes him stand up and start to look around.

Well, what do you know, this is promising.

Alright. I the morning you show up at the door. The guards demand that you identify yourself.

Introductions are in order.

I introduce myself as Connacht, traveling sage and swordsman, and express my wish to speak with their Master At Arms about a friendly bout to test my skill. I don't try to say any of this confidently, I _say_ all of this confidently and with the self assurance and presence of someone of considerable experience.
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:26 pm

Rieverre wrote:Err ... the reason was political. Back before the reformation happened, there was already a Temple, but temple Jedi were mostly sidelined and basically navel-contemplating. Then Ruusan happened, Kaan Thought-Bomb-ed the Army of Light's leadership and premier forces out of existence, the Republic had its reformation and the Temple Jedi were smug and superior assholes to what was basically a bunch of shellshocked veterans of a war they'd been to full of themselves to fight. There are the assholes who made up the leadership of the reformed Jedi Order.

Soooooo yeah ...

Head Obi-Wan

Except that the mindset had popped up a number of times over the past millennia and the fact is that Jedi have to be cautious about avoiding *selfish* bonds and connections, because the wrong mindset can be a path right to the Dark Side. In addition, Westerosi marriage customs are a minefield. All you need is one Jedi stuck in an arranged marriage with a person they can't stand before you're dealing with Red Blades, Black Eyeliner, and copies of Vampire the Masquerade.

The problem is the Temple Jedi took a reasonable degree of caution and turned it into dogma.

Head Obi-Wan

Well, what do you know, this is promising.

Heh.

I introduce myself as Connacht, traveling sage and swordsman, and express my wish to speak with their Master At Arms about a friendly bout to test my skill. I don't try to say any of this confidently, I _say_ all of this confidently and with the self assurance and presence of someone of considerable experience.

Well, after some talk you're lead into the courtyard. You find Lord Eddard and his family watching while a stout man, with broad, with large white whiskers walks into the center of the field. It seems that this is enough of a oddity to be interesting. They're not in the courtyard but are watching from a loft on the keep. Jon Snow seems to be giving you a strange look bordering on recognition.

All of the Starks are strong in the force, though the strongest among them is Jon. Lord Ned himself and a small, black haird girl are a close second. The others are strong but not outrageously so. The younger of the auburn haired boys though does possess a strange power that while not the force as you know it, seems to be deeply rooted in the living force.

"I am Rodrik Cassel, Master of Arms of Winterfel," he says calmly, "I heard you're a traveling... sage and swordsman and wish to challenge my men to a contest of skill. You have a foreign cast to you and that is not the tradition of the North, nor the South for that matter... but as long as you act honorably and swear that you will do no harm to any of my men, I see no reason to deny your request. Should you prove capable enough, there might even be offer of coin if you will share your skills."

Assuming you accept he nods and orders training swords brought forward.

How do you fight this? D100 please.

The roll is mainly to see how much of the force do you need to use to win. Remember, mundane people can be damned strong even against Jedi.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:06 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Except that the mindset had popped up a number of times over the past millennia and the fact is that Jedi have to be cautious about avoiding *selfish* bonds and connections, because the wrong mindset can be a path right to the Dark Side. In addition, Westerosi marriage customs are a minefield. All you need is one Jedi stuck in an arranged marriage with a person they can't stand before you're dealing with Red Blades, Black Eyeliner, and copies of Vampire the Masquerade.

The problem is the Temple Jedi took a reasonable degree of caution and turned it into dogma.

Head Obi-Wan

It's a matter of approach. Hilariously enough the freaking _Sith Code_ deals with this in a roundabout way, and properly applied stops the kind of murderhobos Dark Jedi can become from occurring.

Well, after some talk you're lead into the courtyard. You find Lord Eddard and his family watching while a stout man, with broad, with large white whiskers walks into the center of the field. It seems that this is enough of a oddity to be interesting. They're not in the courtyard but are watching from a loft on the keep. Jon Snow seems to be giving you a strange look bordering on recognition.

All of the Starks are strong in the force, though the strongest among them is Jon. Lord Ned himself and a small, black haird girl are a close second. The others are strong but not outrageously so. The younger of the auburn haired boys though does possess a strange power that while not the force as you know it, seems to be deeply rooted in the living force.

Actually, I imagine what the skinwalkers do is an extension of the Animal Friendship discipline some Force Users employ. Not to the extent of possession, no, but I think it might be a related art, or at that they at least have a significant amount in common.

"I am Rodrik Cassel, Master of Arms of Winterfel," he says calmly, "I heard you're a traveling... sage and swordsman and wish to challenge my men to a contest of skill. You have a foreign cast to you and that is not the tradition of the North, nor the South for that matter... but as long as you act honorably and swear that you will do no harm to any of my men, I see no reason to deny your request. Should you prove capable enough, there might even be offer of coin if you will share your skills."

I incline my head. "I have indeed traveled a ways. Those who follow my art occasionally choose to wander and test their skills in the world. I can safely say that I mean you nor your men harm and will endeavor to not inflict permanent injury, barring accidents."

Assuming you accept he nods and orders training swords brought forward.

I choose something relatively close to what I'm used to - that'll probably be somewhere in the dimensions of a broadsword or a bastard sword - and adjust my stance accordingly to account for a weapon that relies less on cutting strokes. In terms of approach, I think I'll start off with the basics. That's usually how these things go, as opposed to actual combat. So, I'll open with Form I to get a feel for my opponent. If and when that eventually stops being enough, I'll go for my favorites, which is mostly Soresu with a smattering of offense from Shien. Nice as Makashi is, the blade's all wrong for it and I was never much of a fencer. And Ataru I just consider too showy.

How do you fight this? D100 please.

rolling

The roll is mainly to see how much of the force do you need to use to win. Remember, mundane people can be damned strong even against Jedi.

Force Users more or less always use _some_ of their abilities, unconsciously. This is stuff that's drilled into them in training. Trust your feelings, etc. Mundane people can be damned strong even against them, yes, but the edge in melee is pretty much insane if you're not resorting to the unexpected.
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice Bot on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:06 pm

The member 'Rieverre' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd100' : 4

Dice Bot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Rieverre wrote:It's a matter of approach. Hilariously enough the freaking _Sith Code_ deals with this in a roundabout way, and properly applied stops the kind of murderhobos Dark Jedi can become from occurring.

Pray tell... because the Sith and Jedi approach to the force is almost literally day and night.

Actually, I imagine what the skinwalkers do is an extension of the Animal Friendship discipline some Force Users employ. Not to the extent of possession, no, but I think it might be a related art, or at that they at least have a significant amount in common.

Enough that the family is strong in the force as a rule. All of them would be very capable Jedi. Jon, Ned, and Arya, extremely capable Jedi. Bran? No idea what he would be, though you get the feeling that his destiny lies elsewhere.

I incline my head. "I have indeed traveled a ways. Those who follow my art occasionally choose to wander and test their skills in the world. I can safely say that I mean you nor your men harm and will endeavor to not inflict permanent injury, barring accidents."

He nods, satisfied with your answer. It's honest, direct, honorable. They approve of that in the North.

I choose something relatively close to what I'm used to - that'll probably be somewhere in the dimensions of a broadsword or a bastard sword - and adjust my stance accordingly to account for a weapon that relies less on cutting strokes. In terms of approach, I think I'll start off with the basics. That's usually how these things go, as opposed to actual combat. So, I'll open with Form I to get a feel for my opponent. If and when that eventually stops being enough, I'll go for my favorites, which is mostly Soresu with a smattering of offense from Shien. Nice as Makashi is, the blade's all wrong for it and I was never much of a fencer. And Ataru I just consider too showy.

You actually end up picking up a simple fighting stick used for both for training and light combat. It's almost the perfect size and weight. All it would need is a slight curve and some tapering and it would be a proper bokken.

There's a bit of a question about your choice in weapons, but you simply hold up your sword in its scabbard and they simply nod, seeing the similarities clearly.

Force Users more or less always use _some_ of their abilities, unconsciously. This is stuff that's drilled into them in training. Trust your feelings, etc. Mundane people can be damned strong even against them, yes, but the edge in melee is pretty much insane if you're not resorting to the unexpected.

Though the proper mindset means a lot. No jedi would ever call a trained mandoloriananything but a pain in the ass, even in blade to blade.

That said, the only one of them to even stand a chance is Rodrik himself, and even then you are able to comfortably speed blitz him if you so wish. In skill he's good, very good, but not your match. He does fight very hard though but still never manages to lay a single blow on you. He did however fight a bit longer than he should have. He seems to be mildly injured. Nothing he couldn't sleep off, but those ribs will be tender for a couple days.

Looking up you see Lord Stark looking rather impressed, his wife looking a bit stunned, his heir looking impressed, Sansa seems to have stars in her eyes, Bran looks excited, Arya's simply jumping in place seemingly begging something that has her father looking thoughtful and her mother looking annoyed at... and Jon... Jon's just looking at you as if trying to place you.

Rodrik smiles and lowers his blade, favoring his left side. "I can honestly say I've rarely seen such a capable warrior. You Ser are an outstanding swordsman, and the honor of facing you was mine..."

Lord Eddard takes this moment to enter the picture. "Well fought, Rodrik. Please attend to yourself."

"Thank you, m'lord."

Rodrik leaves and Ned nods to you. "I am Eddard Stark. Welcome to Winterfel, Connacht I believe it was? My family is soon to eat. I would like you to join us and speak of where you are from. Perhaps afterwards we can discuss some form of employment."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:27 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Pray tell... because the Sith and Jedi approach to the force is almost literally day and night.

I mean the Sith Code's emphasis on freedom, which - if you follow it through to the logical conclusion - also includes not letting yourself become a slave to emotions. Something that, sadly, a great many practitioners seem to have failed at.

Enough that the family is strong in the force as a rule. All of them would be very capable Jedi. Jon, Ned, and Arya, extremely capable Jedi. Bran? No idea what he would be, though you get the feeling that his destiny lies elsewhere.

Still, they're a statistical anomaly. Having a force sensitive parent doesn't automatically mean you're going to be a sensitive yourself. For now, I blame the creepy crying tree. It's as good a working theory as any.

You actually end up picking up a simple fighting stick used for both for training and light combat. It's almost the perfect size and weight. All it would need is a slight curve and some tapering and it would be a proper bokken.

There's a bit of a question about your choice in weapons, but you simply hold up your sword in its scabbard and they simply nod, seeing the similarities clearly.

I wonder what one of these made out of weirwood could do for me. If that's as conductive to the Force as evidence suggests, it would make for an interesting exercise.

Though the proper mindset means a lot. No jedi would ever call a trained mandoloriananything but a pain in the ass, even in blade to blade.

That said, the only one of them to even stand a chance is Rodrik himself, and even then you are able to comfortably speed blitz him if you so wish. In skill he's good, very good, but not your match. He does fight very hard though but still never manages to lay a single blow on you. He did however fight a bit longer than he should have. He seems to be mildly injured. Nothing he couldn't sleep off, but those ribs will be tender for a couple days.

Looking up you see Lord Stark looking rather impressed, his wife looking a bit stunned, his heir looking impressed, Sansa seems to have stars in her eyes, Bran looks excited, Arya's simply jumping in place seemingly begging something that has her father looking thoughtful and her mother looking annoyed at... and Jon... Jon's just looking at you as if trying to place you.

I suppose any attempts at subtlety I might have made were ultimately doomed to failure regardless. Eh. I can work well enough with this.

Rodrik smiles and lowers his blade, favoring his left side. "I can honestly say I've rarely seen such a capable warrior. You Ser are an outstanding swordsman, and the honor of facing you was mine..."

Lord Eddard takes this moment to enter the picture. "Well fought, Rodrik. Please attend to yourself."

"Thank you, m'lord."

Rodrik leaves and Ned nods to you. "I am Eddard Stark. Welcome to Winterfel, Connacht I believe it was? My family is soon to eat. I would like you to join us and speak of where you are from. Perhaps afterwards we can discuss some form of employment."

I put the fighting stick aside and nod. "Connacht will do. I would certainly not be as rude as to refuse genuine hospitality. Especially not when it comes with a hot meal."
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:41 pm

Rieverre wrote:I mean the Sith Code's emphasis on freedom, which - if you follow it through to the logical conclusion - also includes not letting yourself become a slave to emotions. Something that, sadly, a great many practitioners seem to have failed at.

Does not quite work. The Sith philosophy is founded in the idea of dominance over the force. The Jedi, submission to.

Jedi and Marriage is best approached carefully, cautiously, and with the utmost dedication. Bad marrages and Jedi can be a poor mixture.

Honestly it was Master Jolee Bindo who put the relationship between Jedi and Love very well.

"Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled... but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you... not condemn you."

Still, they're a statistical anomaly. Having a force sensitive parent doesn't automatically mean you're going to be a sensitive yourself. For now, I blame the creepy crying tree. It's as good a working theory as any.

Well, it's sure not from the mother's side of the family. Lady Cat seems to have all the force potential of your average poodle

I wonder what one of these made out of weirwood could do for me. If that's as conductive to the Force as evidence suggests, it would make for an interesting exercise.

Worth experimenting.

I suppose any attempts at subtlety I might have made were ultimately doomed to failure regardless. Eh. I can work well enough with this.

You're a Jedi. Deal with it.

I put the fighting stick aside and nod. "Connacht will do. I would certainly not be as rude as to refuse genuine hospitality. Especially not when it comes with a hot meal."

It's a smile meal. The children seem a bit excited by the strange outsider guy who kicks ass, Jon is still giving you funny looks, while Cat seems to be a bit put off by your presence. You get the feeling she things a strange wandering swordsman sharing a meal with a lord paramount is improper.

You get asked many questions. Who are you? What are you? What do you mean Sage? Can you teach me how to do that (all of the sons except Jon and Theon Greyjoy who is not sensitive) and Arya (much to her mother's displeasure). Ned seems to be politely enjoying the meal and has gently made it clear you will speak with him privately afterwards.

Though it also seems her displeasure with the situation hasn't cut down Cat's "bitch" any.

"SNOW!" she snaps, "Stop insulting our guest by looking at him if he were some kind of mummer's trick!"

"But Lady Catelyn... I can't help but feel I know him from somwhere..."

All eyes turn to you.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WatcherVoid on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:21 pm

Psyckosama wrote:

You quickly realize that the force is not a GPS.

How about compass? If anything such a thing is worth looking into later to see if it's from a lack of training and experience to bullshit such a ability from it or just flat out impossible.

Seem I'll have to attempt to be more creative in my use of force powers as trying the easy thing has failed.

Lets see what using Psychometry on the road or surrounds can turn up, what am looking for is what the surroundings looked like before the snow was too deep to cover the road.

There might be a way to use the force to give me an impression of the ground under the snow like sonar or something that can penetrate the snow to reflect back to reveal what the ground looks like.

High = Bad

Drat, i tend to have decent luck getting high rolls.

Well, roll a d10 for your crafting check.

Alright. Hopefully this isn't as bad as my last two rolls have been.

At this point it might be worth going full stupid with the force. This is a life or death situation.

It might just be being overly cautious but I'd like to try to try out my more covert options before choosing to attempt the best impression a Jedi can of the cool-aid man.

Or really in this case the Jedi snowplow service if i have the power to do that for long enough periods to make headway.
WatcherVoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice Bot on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:21 pm

The member 'WatcherVoid' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd10' : 7

Dice Bot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:28 am

WatcherVoid wrote:How about compass? If anything such a thing is worth looking into later to see if it's from a lack of training and experience to bullshit such a ability from it or just flat out impossible.

Not exactly possible now...

Seem I'll have to attempt to be more creative in my use of force powers as trying the easy thing has failed.

Sometimes the best route is the direct one.

Lets see what using Psychometry on the road or surrounds can turn up, what am looking for is what the surroundings looked like before the snow was too deep to cover the road.

There might be a way to use the force to give me an impression of the ground under the snow like sonar or something that can penetrate the snow to reflect back to reveal what the ground looks like.

You could try that, and roll...

Head Obi-wan has a suggestion: "Clear a path manually"

Or rather, play the role of telekinetic snow plow

Drat, i tend to have decent luck getting high rolls.

Yep. And the more complicated the task, the less forgiving the roll.

Alright. Hopefully this isn't as bad as my last two rolls have been.

Well, they're better than wheels. Kinda. But keep getting stuck in the snow. You're not exactly a Ski maker

It might just be being overly cautious but I'd like to try to try out my more covert options before choosing to attempt the best impression a Jedi can of the cool-aid man.

A choice sometimes, the force gives us not. Crappy rolls sometimes the force gives us instead.

Or really in this case the Jedi snowplow service if i have the power to do that for long enough periods to make headway.

You could. You'd be tired out but you could make serious head way.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WatcherVoid on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:46 am

Psyckosama wrote:Not exactly possible now...

Yeah I'll have to try giving that another spin when am not in the middle of nowhere with a snowstorm beating down on me.

You could try that, and roll...

Head Obi-wan has a suggestion: "Clear a path manually"

Or rather, play the role of telekinetic snow plow

A choice sometimes, the force gives us not. Crappy rolls sometimes the force gives us instead.

Dice gods giveth and dice gods puncheth in the dick. It's time to bite the bullet and brute force this mess.

How to preamble this as am undoubtedly going to be the talk of every town that this caravan goes through and i plan on splitting off as soon as bandit hunting becomes worthwhile.

Guess I'll approach the caravan master speak with him a little first after trying things out.

" Misfortune has beset us at attempts of finesse, so I'll be using brute force to reach safety. It would have been preferred to use finesse but the world isn't looking kindly. Be prepared to move when i start as we must make the most of my efforts before i tire. "

When it's time to set off for the day I'll make some extra dramatic hand gesturing before starting to plow, may as well do some theatrics to entertain myself while doing such work and mess with them.
WatcherVoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:44 am

Psyckosama wrote:Does not quite work. The Sith philosophy is founded in the idea of dominance over the force. The Jedi, submission to.

Jedi and Marriage is best approached carefully, cautiously, and with the utmost dedication. Bad marrages and Jedi can be a poor mixture.

Honestly it was Master Jolee Bindo who put the relationship between Jedi and Love very well.

"Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled... but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you... not condemn you."

Like all philosophies, this is open to interpretation. And not actually implied or made explicit in the Code.

Well, it's sure not from the mother's side of the family. Lady Cat seems to have all the force potential of your average poodle

That's an amusing mental image.

It's a smile meal. The children seem a bit excited by the strange outsider guy who kicks ass, Jon is still giving you funny looks, while Cat seems to be a bit put off by your presence. You get the feeling she things a strange wandering swordsman sharing a meal with a lord paramount is improper.  

You get asked many questions. Who are you? What are you? What do you mean Sage? Can you teach me how to do that (all of the sons except Jon and Theon Greyjoy who is not sensitive) and Arya (much to her mother's displeasure). Ned seems to be politely enjoying the meal and has gently made it clear you will speak with him privately afterwards.

In all, typical in a relatively remote place such as this in this kind of time period. People get excited about the new thing to come in.

Though it also seems her displeasure with the situation hasn't cut down Cat's "bitch" any.

"SNOW!" she snaps, "Stop insulting our guest by looking at him if he were some kind of mummer's trick!"

"But Lady Catelyn... I can't help but feel I know him from somwhere..."

All eyes turn to you.

"The boy has talent. To fight as I do, training alone is not enough. It's a ... gift you're born with would be the best way to describe it, I suppose. Training to direct it follows. It's part of why I called myself a bit of a sage."

I give Jon a sidelong grin.

"As for tricks ... I suppose I have a few."

I reach for the Force, allowing it to flow through more with more ease, reinforcing my presence therein. I could likely use this technique to to put enemies off balance and into a state of awe, but here and now I simply use it to appear to be _more_ for a few seconds, and evaluate the reactions of the table.
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:21 pm

WatcherVoid wrote:Yeah I'll have to try giving that another spin when am not in the middle of nowhere with a snowstorm beating down on me.

Yeah. This isn't exactly a moment for experimentation. Sure, you could survive this no problem... the people you're with? Not so much.

Dice gods giveth and dice gods puncheth in the dick. It's time to bite the bullet and brute force this mess.

Heh.

How to preamble this as am undoubtedly going to be the talk of every town that this caravan goes through and i plan on splitting off as soon as bandit hunting becomes worthwhile.

Yep.

Guess I'll approach the caravan master speak with him a little first after trying things out.

" Misfortune has beset us at attempts of finesse, so I'll be using brute force to reach safety. It would have been preferred to use finesse but the world isn't looking kindly. Be prepared to move when i start as we must make the most of my efforts before i tire. "

He looks confused.

When it's time to set off for the day I'll make some extra dramatic hand gesturing before starting to plow, may as well do some theatrics to entertain myself while doing such work and mess with them.

You draw back a hand, gather the force to you. So strongly in fact you see a distortion in the air, then fire blasting a channel through the snow that actually causes an old tree to fall over.

All jaws drop. "W-what are you bloody bastards waiting for! Follow the path!"

By the end of the day you've plowed a channel miles wide that leads towards the closest hamlet. Your arrival was announced by regular blasts of snow and you see many inhabitants watching in utter awe.

"Good ser," the Caravan master asks breathlessly, "W-what are you?"
Rieverre wrote:Like all philosophies, this is open to interpretation. And not actually implied or made explicit in the Code.

True, but care is needed.

That's an amusing mental image.

heh.

In all, typical in a relatively remote place such as this in this kind of time period. People get excited about the new thing to come in.

Yep.

"The boy has talent. To fight as I do, training alone is not enough. It's a ... gift you're born with would be the best way to describe it, I suppose. Training to direct it follows. It's part of why I called myself a bit of a sage."

Arya sits up. "Could I learn?"

Cat frowns at the idea.

I give Jon a sidelong grin.

"As for tricks ... I suppose I have a few."

I reach for the Force, allowing it to flow through more with more ease, reinforcing my presence therein. I could likely use this technique to to put enemies off balance and into a state of awe, but here and now I simply use it to appear to be _more_ for a few seconds, and evaluate the reactions of the table.

Such mind tricks depend on weak minds. You'll find few of those here. The children look impressed but the adults seem less than phased. You might want to try something a bit more... obvious.

Ned though does look at you. "I had to admit I did hear the strangest stories from one of the men... about a man in brown robes with a glowing sword who could move things with his mind... is there any truth to it, or are they just a barman's tales?"

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WatcherVoid on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:36 am

Psyckosama wrote:He looks confused.

Mystery! Eh, good enough.

You draw back a hand, gather the force to you. So strongly in fact you see a distortion in the air, then fire blasting a channel through the snow that actually causes an old tree to fall over.

All jaws drop. "W-what are you bloody bastards waiting for! Follow the path!"

Yup, I've got this. Might even see about refining this later into a full fledged attack.

By the end of the day you've plowed a channel miles wide that leads towards the closest hamlet. Your arrival was announced by regular blasts of snow and you see many inhabitants watching in utter awe.

"Good ser," the Caravan master asks breathlessly, "W-what are you?"

" I am a man who left on a journey to attain enlightenment of the self, nature and the world on his own. At this time I've managed just scrapes of what I feel there is to learn; there is still far too much left on my journey of enlightenment to consider it remotely complete.

Or less long windily i suppose you could call me a sage as it seems close to what I've done.

However at the moment as am sure many others do, I'd like to see if there's an inn, a spot by it's fireplace and a proper bed to sleep in after throwing out that much of my strength around. "
WatcherVoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:56 am

WatcherVoid wrote:Mystery! Eh, good enough.

heh

Yup, I've got this. Might even see about refining this later into a full fledged attack.

It already is a full fledged attack...

" I am a man who left on a journey to attain enlightenment of the self, nature and the world on his own. At this time I've managed just scrapes of what I feel there is to learn; there is still far too much left on my journey of enlightenment to consider it remotely complete.

You can almost feel the annoyance coming from Head Obi-Wan

Or you could just tell him you've a kriffing Jedi...

Or less long windily i suppose you could call me a sage as it seems close to what I've done.

"You've a bloody wizard, that's what you are!"

However at the moment as am sure many others do, I'd like to see if there's an inn, a spot by it's fireplace and a proper bed to sleep in after throwing out that much of my strength around. "

They don't have an in. It's really only a small homestead community near the road, but they're not about to say no to a wizard. You're quickly shown into large house where sleeping places are prepared near the floor.

The children are looking at you like you're some object of wonder while the adults are somewhat intimidated to put it mildly.

The caravan master trades some coin with them and before long you're presented with some crusty black bread and a bowl of stew. Once you're shown to your bed roll you're out like a light before you even realize it. You were very tired.

Roll 2d10 and a d100 please.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Arya sits up. "Could I learn?"

Cat frowns at the idea.

"Anything beyond the simplest parts involving the blade would require a potentially lifelong commitment."

Such mind tricks depend on weak minds. You'll find few of those here. The children look impressed but the adults seem less than phased. You might want to try something a bit more... obvious.

It's not a mind trick, it's more ... making a more thorough connection with the Force and making it obvious, but I guess yeah, something more obvious would work better.

Ned though does look at you. "I had to admit I did hear the strangest stories from one of the men... about a man in brown robes with a glowing sword who could move things with his mind... is there any truth to it, or are they just a barman's tales?"

"It seems rumor has wings of its own," I say, then use the Force to lift my goblet to my hand.

Sip.
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:04 pm

Rieverre wrote:"Anything beyond the simplest parts involving the blade would require a potentially lifelong commitment."

"Absolutely not."

"But mother..."

"Absolutely not."

It's not a mind trick, it's more ... making a more thorough connection with the Force and making it obvious, but I guess yeah, something more obvious would work better.

Keep in mind, a connection to the force isn't going to be as impressive to a bunch of latent force sensitives. They probably do it subconsciously at times

"It seems rumor has wings of its own," I say, then use the Force to lift my goblet to my hand.

Sip.

All of them go gobsmacked at that.

Arya grins like an idiot. "I'm ready to commit!"

"Arya!"

Ned takes a deep breath. "What are you. Exactly. Who and what are you?"

Tell them you're a kriffing Jedi already!

Blasted head Obi-wan!

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WatcherVoid on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:17 pm

Psyckosama wrote:It already is a full fledged attack...

You can almost feel the annoyance coming from Head Obi-Wan

Or you could just tell him you've a kriffing Jedi...

"You've a bloody wizard, that's what you are!"

You know head Obi-Wan if it wasn't for the fact am a Jedi now, I'd be highly suspect of you since your a voice in my head. But I'll follow your advise because from what little i know of this verse being outright labeled a wizard isn't a good thing.

" I've heard of wizards but from what i can tell it doesn't quite fit. Nor would i like to be associated with them in the same sentence, I've been contemplating a proper title before as such i may as well put it to use.

I'd ask that you call me a Jedi. One who has sought and found balance within themselves following a path of benevolence when it can be given. It is that last part being the reason I'd so willing revealed myself and stayed with you. "

My words are back by mind tricks if needed.

They don't have an in. It's really only a small homestead community near the road, but they're not about to say no to a wizard. You're quickly shown into large house where sleeping places are prepared near the floor.

The children are looking at you like you're some object of wonder while the adults are somewhat intimidated to put it mildly.

The caravan master trades some coin with them and before long you're presented with some crusty black bread and a bowl of stew. Once you're shown to your bed roll you're out like a light before you even realize it. You were very tired.

Roll 2d10 and a d100 please.

Next in the adventure of Void can't roll low!
WatcherVoid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dice Bot on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:17 pm

The member 'WatcherVoid' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'd100' : 27

--------------------------------

#2 'd10' : 1, 7

Dice Bot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:42 pm

WatcherVoid wrote:You know head Obi-Wan if it wasn't for the fact am a Jedi now, I'd be highly suspect of you since your a voice in my head. But I'll follow your advise because from what little i know of this verse being outright labeled a wizard isn't a good thing.

Well maybe if you stopped being so obtuse...

" I've heard of wizards but from what i can tell it doesn't quite fit. Nor would i like to be associated with them in the same sentence, I've been contemplating a proper title before as such i may as well put it to use.

I'd ask that you call me a Jedi. One who has sought and found balance within themselves following a path of benevolence when it can be given. It is that last part being the reason I'd so willing revealed myself and stayed with you. "

My words are back by mind tricks if needed.

"Um, alright then..."

He doesn't quite get it.

Next in the adventure of Void can't roll low!

Actually you do find something the next day. There's a young boy there who seems to be strong in the force. Not exceptional, but the force is with him.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:28 pm

Psyckosama wrote:"Absolutely not."

"But mother..."

"Absolutely not."

Must. Keep. Straight face.

Thankyou Jedi discipline.

All of them go gobsmacked at that.

Arya grins like an idiot. "I'm ready to commit!"

"Arya!"

Ned takes a deep breath. "What are you. Exactly. Who and what are you?"

Tell them you're a kriffing Jedi already!

Blasted head Obi-wan!

Well, here and now I may as well oblige him.

"The word is Jedi. It has many connotations. It's a philosophy and the manner in which I was trained, though I have studied others that had sprung from the same premise. That there is something to the world beyond the physical. It moves through us, as it does through all things living and not. And we need not take this on faith, as there are some who are ... for lack of a better word, more Sensitive to this Force."

I shrug.

"Understand, this is gross generalization and I'm endeavoring to not mix any of the myriad of interpretations into it. At the most basic level, I am simply someone who has learned to make use of their connection to this underlying Force through training and discipline."

I take another sip of wine.

"Now, as to who I am, I suppose I would describe myself as a Knight-Errant of the Jedi Order. It is accurate enough to say that we are those who've chosen the journey. To go into the world and discover new things. Back where we are known, the overriding reputation we hold is that of sages, peacekeepers and mediators, though our abilities lend us a certain martial bent that ends up the most prolific throughout all the stories told."
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:18 pm

Rieverre wrote:Must. Keep. Straight face.

Thankyou Jedi discipline.

She crosses her arms and huffs. "I bet 'Jedi' don't have to wear stupid dresses and take stupid lessons from stupid septas."

"Arya!"

Well, here and now I may as well oblige him.

And may the Force be with you

"The word is Jedi. It has many connotations. It's a philosophy and the manner in which I was trained, though I have studied others that had sprung from the same premise. That there is something to the world beyond the physical. It moves through us, as it does through all things living and not. And we need not take this on faith, as there are some who are ... for lack of a better word, more Sensitive to this Force."

He raises an eyebrow. "Truly? And Jon is gifted with the potential to use these abilities?"

Arya grins. "Do I?"

Cat grits her teeth. "Arya Stark, another word and I shall send you to your quarters."

Ned holds up a hand. "Cat, I would like to hear this. Does she? Are any here besides Jon gifted with these abilities."

"Ned, you can't be suggesting."

"I am suggesting nothing, my dear. I just wish to know more. About these powers and about these Jedi. Bare with me."

She frowns and nods.

I shrug.

"Understand, this is gross generalization and I'm endeavoring to not mix any of the myriad of interpretations into it. At the most basic level, I am simply someone who has learned to make use of their connection to this underlying Force through training and discipline."

I take another sip of wine.

"Now, as to who I am, I suppose I would describe myself as a Knight-Errant of the Jedi Order. It is accurate enough to say that we are those who've chosen the journey. To go into the world and discover new things. Back where we are known, the overriding reputation we hold is that of sages, peacekeepers and mediators, though our abilities lend us a certain martial bent that ends up the most prolific throughout all the stories told."

Jedi Master, actually...

Bran grins, egging his sister on. "I guess only men can be Jedi then..."

Arya growls. "Can not!"

"And where would you be from?" Ned cuts in. "You've said some of who and what you are. Where are you from, Ser?"

Sometimes, the best option is truth. It is your decision, but I'd suggest telling them about the republic... only glossing over the... scale.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GundamChief on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:09 am

Psyckosama wrote:You awaken to cold. The kind of cold that cuts through clothes and flesh right down to the bone. Your mind is fuzzy and full of knowledge that is alien but almost second nature. Strange knowledge. Exotic knowledge. Knowledge right out of Star Wars. Knowledge of the force and the ways of the Jedi.

Looking down at yourself you find yourself to be dressed in simple but deceptively well made robes of brown and tan. At your side is a simple sword made in the Katana style that on the edge of your mind seems to simply hum with power. Without thought you recognize it as a force katana, the kind of force imbued weapon that the Jedi used before the creation of the lightsaber. Besides the blade you carry a simple satchel pack and bundle roll.

As you get your bearings you look up and find yourself looking at what could only be a fast cliff face of solid ice that extended to the horizon in both directions.

"So what's this now then?"

Looking behind you, you see two disheveled men in black looking at you and at one another.

"Doesn't look like 'es from the other side."

"Who the bloody 'ell are you and wot the hell you doin' this close to the wall?"

What you are doing here you don't know. Who you are, well, even before your name the little voice in your head answers that for you.

You are Jedi.

It takes me a few moments of thinking to realize where this was headed after I realized where I was and to whom I was speaking. The Night Watch, and two men who were very likely conscripts since they lacked the overall noble phonetic.

Since I was Jedi...that means I have access to some of the more basic techniques.

Utilizing the force in order to alter their perceptions of me, from someone out of place to some lowborn beggar who went the wrong way, and waved my hand to mind trick them.

"I'm just a humble traveler. I'm not worth the trouble. I will head south and never come back."
GundamChief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:12 am

GundamChief wrote:It takes me a few moments of thinking to realize where this was headed after I realized where I was and to whom I was speaking. The Night Watch, and two men who were very likely conscripts since they lacked the overall noble phonetic.

Since I was Jedi...that means I have access to some of the more basic techniques.

Utilizing the force in order to alter their perceptions of me, from someone out of place to some lowborn beggar who went the wrong way, and waved my hand to mind trick them.

"I'm just a humble traveler. I'm not worth the trouble. I will head south and never come back."

Normally I'd make you roll for it, but with these two morons...

Both their eyes glaze over.

"E's just a traveler and 'e ain't worth trouble..."

"Yeah... along with you! If you were lookin' to see the wall, you done seen it. Tell all you're friends and don't bloody come back!"

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GundamChief on Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:19 am

Psyckosama wrote:
GundamChief wrote:It takes me a few moments of thinking to realize where this was headed after I realized where I was and to whom I was speaking. The Night Watch, and two men who were very likely conscripts since they lacked the overall noble phonetic.

Normally I'd make you roll for it, but with these two morons...

Both their eyes glaze over.

"E's just a traveler and 'e ain't worth trouble..."

"Yeah... along with you! If you were lookin' to see the wall, you done seen it. Tell all you're friends and don't bloody come back!"

I play the part I made in their heads "Yessira, I be leavin I will, right as cold comes with the night." and I scurry as expected.

Eventually, when out of sight, and I sense no one around I relax and continue directly south of the wall to who knows where.

Over the course of the next few hours I think to myself as to what I now am and what I can and could do with my new found abilities, in this world, and deal with the emotional aspects.

It wasn't pretty as I threw stones here and there as a test of my powers and as a way to deal with my negative views. Darkside be damned.

Regardless. After some thought on what exactly I am going to do, three thoughts immediately entered into mind. The first, head south to Winterfell, and possibly further past that. Second, Help where I can if I can since...I have the power to do so and frankly, this world needs help and heroes. Lastly, avoid politics and any of the upcoming war if possible. I do not need to deal with that load of shit.

I continue on, goal of heading south in mind until nightfall where I can find a nice spot to sleep without being bothered, or find an inn, or homestead.
GundamChief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:02 am

GundamChief wrote:I play the part I made in their heads "Yessira, I be leavin I will, right as cold comes with the night." and I scurry as expected.

They wave you off.

Eventually, when out of sight, and I sense no one around I relax and continue directly south of the wall to who knows where.

Alright. D100 please.

Over the course of the next few hours I think to myself as to what I now am and what I can and could do with my new found abilities, in this world, and deal with the emotional aspects.

You're a defender of justice and peace. This is a world sorely in need of both...

Wait, what the hell was that?

It wasn't pretty as I threw stones here and there as a test of my powers and as a way to deal with my negative views. Darkside be damned.

Dangerous mindset...

Regardless. After some thought on what exactly I am going to do, three thoughts immediately entered into mind. The first, head south to Winterfell, and possibly further past that. Second, Help where I can if I can since...I have the power to do so and frankly, this world needs help and heroes. Lastly, avoid politics and any of the upcoming war if possible. I do not need to deal with that load of shit.

Okay, which is it...

I continue on, goal of heading south in mind until nightfall where I can find a nice spot to sleep without being bothered, or find an inn, or homestead.

D100

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GundamChief on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:29 am

Psyckosama wrote:Alright. D100 please.

You're a defender of justice and peace. This is a world sorely in need of both...

Wait, what the hell was that?

...okay. Either I am hearing a voice of whoever sent me here, or I have some force crap happening. I'm betting the latter.

Dangerous mindset...

Only if I let it control me entirely. At that point of time, it was pretty justified.

D100

GundamChief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top