You are the Demon King...

Page 9 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next

Go down

You are the Demon King... - Page 9 Empty Re: You are the Demon King...

Post by Kelenas on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:25 am

Psyckosama wrote:Yes.

The Lamia seems to take to the water like a fish. Snakes are good swimmers and she's a bit cold blooded so it warms her right up!
Glad she enjoys herself.
Both the concubines are nervous as hell... especially the Arachne who admits she has no table manners... where she's from if you don't eat as fast as you can, you don't eat.
Hm... let's see if we can coach her a bit, then. Maybe with a reward if she's doing particularly well in remembering the most important rules. Wink
You sure Wink

Well, they're professional and flirtatious.

After all, you basically are their husband... Wink
Well, since we apparently do have the time; maybe a bit once we're in the water. Very Happy
"Until you learn to manage your powers on your own, our most critical role is to act as a power sink to keep you from... overloading your power. If you did so you could harm yourself."

"Or us."
"I'd rather prevent both from happening, so I'll do my best to keep my temper in check from now on. Anything else I need to look out for? And how or when I'll learn to manage my powers?"
Depends on what you want to know about.

The sisters could tell you ALL about Oni politics as well as kingdom.

The Lamia knows about her peoples internal politics...

While the Arachne admits she knows more about low society than high...
For the moment, I'm more interested in general knowledge, such as what issues the kingdom is facing (aside from the self-evident bit of having lost their old emperor and a new, summoned one), like any active conflicts, shortages, or whatever, and which major power-groups there are and who's likely to try and take advantage of my inexperience.
Then, if time allows, some insights into Oni and Lamia politics, but there too only the more general, or higher-up things that are more likely to have a direct affect on my in the near future. In the long run, I'll probably count on them to get a more detailed insight into the politics and power-structures of their respective clans/species, and Arachne's knowledge about the lower echelons of society will no doubt prove quite useful as well, in time.

"He's the second son of one of the previous Emperors. Nobody knows which... he's been around damned near forever. He's never made a go for the thrown and has always been loyal and helpful to the standing Emperor. At best he's just not interested in the throne. At worst, he's the rule from the shadows type... nobody is entirely sure. He's an odd one..."
"Sounds like I can definitely rely on him to know his way around the politics and duties I'll be faced with, but I'll have to be careful not to become *too* reliant on him in the long run."
"Head of Security and Intelligence. He hated the old Emperor with a passion... some people think he even arranged for him to be killed."

The younger shakes her head. "I don't believe so. The Emperor was notorious for disregarding his warnings and schemes as cowardly nonsense. It is quite possible that he simply disregarded the wrong warning."

"True sister. Very true. It is a possibility..."

She nods. "But be careful master. He's useful but profoundly dangerous and inevitably always has his own agenda. He's loyal to the throne and cannot inherit, but he always has some self serving agenda."

"Even if it is to simply entertain himself by infuriating those around him for his own personal amusement."
I grimace at what they're telling me. "Sounds like he'll be one of the most important and useful people for me to deal with, but also easily one of the most infuriating, great. And I also might have to keep an eye on him just in case he *did* arrange the previous Emperor's death."
"She's very scholarly. Well bred and well educated, she's knows as being rather approachable... but terribly powerful."

"Her knowlidge of magic is simply obscene for one her age. She's able to use all of the elements to some degree, and her mastery of Darkness and Fire is already the stuff of legend. There are some rumors that claim she's more powerful than her father was."
"If she's approachable, then I'll have to see if I can get some time to talk with her in private. I can't really blame her if she's bitter at her situation and directs her anger at me, since unlike all of you she doesn't have a choice in it, but I'd like to find a way to get along with her.

Hm... is there anything she particularly likes? Some specific flowers or foods, anything like that?"
They do. (no I'm not inventing manners)
I do my best to thoroughly commit them to memory. Probably alongside Arachne.
Kelenas
Kelenas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:03 am

Kelenas wrote:Glad she enjoys herself.
Her mother is going to be SO proud of her!

Shit.

She needs to send a message to her mother!

Hm... let's see if we can coach her a bit, then. Maybe with a reward if she's doing particularly well in remembering the most important rules. Wink
She'll try...

It's hard to get over a lifetime of fear and food hoarding.

]Well, since we apparently do have the time; maybe a bit once we're in the water. Very Happy
Heh.

"I'd rather prevent both from happening, so I'll do my best to keep my temper in check from now on. Anything else I need to look out for? And how or when I'll learn to manage my powers?"
"Just try and keep calm..."

"And we need to have regular sex."

It helps them absorb excess energy.

For the moment, I'm more interested in general knowledge, such as what issues the kingdom is facing (aside from the self-evident bit of having lost their old emperor and a new, summoned one), like any active conflicts, shortages, or whatever, and which major power-groups there are and who's likely to try and take advantage of my inexperience.
Food is always a problem... the land here is shit for growing.

Then, if time allows, some insights into Oni and Lamia politics, but there too only the more general, or higher-up things that are more likely to have a direct affect on my in the near future. In the long run, I'll probably count on them to get a more detailed insight into the politics and power-structures of their respective clans/species, and Arachne's knowledge about the lower echelons of society will no doubt prove quite useful as well, in time.
Well, the Demon world Lamia and Arachnes aren't true demons but are descended from populations from the spirit world. Thus they're considered "Lower class" and not "true demons" even though over the centuries they've built up a goodly amount of demonic blood in their veins. It's the secret to the Lamia's powers. They're actually pretty close to spiritually neutral... at least on the Light/Dark axis which makes them one of the few races in the demon world capable of actually USING Light Magic.

Arachne are just nasty as a rule. They breed quickly and are very aggressive and territorial. Most of the races in the spirit world pushed them to the deepest woods while others fled into the mortal and demon worlds... which in retrospect was something of a mistake. Large numbers in small spaces with little food and highly predatory, territorial natures leads to supreme nastiness...

Has she mentioned how happy she is to be your concubine and how she'll happily let you use her body to fulfill any urge you have no matter how depraved as long a she doesn't have to go back!

"Sounds like I can definitely rely on him to know his way around the politics and duties I'll be faced with, but I'll have to be careful not to become *too* reliant on him in the long run."
"Exactly... though be warned about his power. No knows how strong he really..."

I grimace at what they're telling me. "Sounds like he'll be one of the most important and useful people for me to deal with, but also easily one of the most infuriating, great. And I also might have to keep an eye on him just in case he *did* arrange the previous Emperor's death."
Enjoy the headache!

If she's approachable, then I'll have to see if I can get some time to talk with her in private. I can't really blame her if she's bitter at her situation and directs her anger at me, since unlike all of you she doesn't have a choice in it, but I'd like to find a way to get along with her.
Probably just need to talk to her and become friends. She just lost her father and has been through a lot.

Hm... is there anything she particularly likes? Some specific flowers or foods, anything like that?"
Honestly... she's a bit of a glutton. She likes salty fried foods and sweets.

Don't tell her they said that.

I do my best to thoroughly commit them to memory. Probably alongside Arachne.
Her eyes kinda glaze over....

And before long you're given clothes... you get an awesome dark lord outfight, the concubines are given something tailored and expensive, and the commander girls wear something nice from their wardrobe.

You're lead to a dining room where the three are waiting.

"Oh," the duke says with a smile, "You brought your pets as well..."

He gives the concubines a jaunty wave.

Arachne is barely being able to restrain herself from TACKLING the table.

So much FOOD!

Brian Boru wrote:"I meant interesting as in 'Keep my eye on her or my head would likely be on a platter.' But I thank you for the warning never the less."
"Actually if you manage to meet her standards she'll happily kill any of your enemies."

"Dragons are complicated."

Dawww....she's adorable, though running through the help like tissue paper might be frowned upon, and a bit cliche.
Hey, nothing wrong with banging the help... :p

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you Chamber Maid, so..." and an embarrassed tone sneaks in, "You wouldn't happen to know where the bath is in this place because I haven't exactly had the chance to get the layout of my quarters just yet?"
"I'll take youthere, sire...

She does along with the Oni sisters and the others if you invite them...

Hotspring swiming pool!

Psyckosama
Admin

View user profile https://giantstompyrobots.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelenas on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:58 am

Psyckosama wrote:Her mother is going to be SO proud of her!

Shit.

She needs to send a message to her mother!
Well, she's free to send one via the servants the castle no doubt has.
She'll try...

It's hard to get over a lifetime of fear and food hoarding.
I can imagine, somewhat.
"Just try and keep calm..."

"And we need to have regular sex."

It helps them absorb excess energy.
... so I'll blow up if I don't fuck often enough? ... I'm not sure whether I should consider that awesome or horrifying.
Food is always a problem... the land here is shit for growing.
Hm... something I'll have to think about, then.
Well, the Demon world Lamia and Arachnes aren't true demons but are descended from populations from the spirit world. Thus they're considered "Lower class" and not "true demons" even though over the centuries they've built up a goodly amount of demonic blood in their veins. It's the secret to the Lamia's powers. They're actually pretty close to spiritually neutral... at least on the Light/Dark axis which makes them one of the few races in the demon world capable of actually USING Light Magic.

Arachne are just nasty as a rule. They breed quickly and are very aggressive and territorial. Most of the races in the spirit world pushed them to the deepest woods while others fled into the mortal and demon worlds... which in retrospect was something of a mistake. Large numbers in small spaces with little food and highly predatory, territorial natures leads to supreme nastiness...
That's quite interesting to know. If entire races can eventually change their spiritual aligntment over time, individuals can probably do so as well? It also means the Lamia are actually much more important than their status would indicate, as they diversify the demons' magical arsenal. The main problem might be if they're slowly sliding further towards the Dark end of the axis, removing their ability to use Light Magic.
[quote]Has she mentioned how happy she is to be your concubine and how she'll happily let you use her body to fulfill any urge you have no matter how depraved as long a she doesn't have to go back!Whoa, easy there! I'm definitely not going to send her back, but I'd much rather she's my concubine and has sex with me because she *likes* being my concubine and having sex with me. Not because I'm essentially holding her hostage!
"Exactly... though be warned about his power. No knows how strong he really..."
"Don't worry, I wouldn't go around challenging him to a fight any time soon even if I had a good reason to. I don't know how much power being the Demon Lord actually gives me, but that doesn't really matter since I don't even know how to actually make it *do* anything."
Enjoy the headache!
New Sidequest Gained: Find a way to open a portal back to your homeworld, and raid a few warehouses to gain a few centuries' worth of aspirin and similar medications!
Probably just need to talk to her and become friends. She just lost her father and has been through a lot.
Yep. I also hope she might be willing to help me learn magic if she's really that good with it, and I intend to give her as much freedom within the situation that's forced on her as possible. Like letting her determine when she wants to actually go and see about having a child.
Honestly... she's a bit of a glutton. She likes salty fried foods and sweets.

Don't tell her they said that.
I make a note of that, and maybe dig deeper if she has anything amongst those two she specifically favors. Either that, or find out if they're familiar with some of the salty snacks I know, such as pretzels, salted peanuts, fries, things like that.

And I promise I won't ever tell anyone! Now please stop looking at me with those pleading eyes!
Her eyes kinda glaze over....

And before long you're given clothes... you get an awesome dark lord outfight, the concubines are given something tailored and expensive, and the commander girls wear something nice from their wardrobe.
Spiffy!
You're lead to a dining room where the three are waiting.

"Oh," the duke says with a smile, "You brought your pets as well..."

He gives the concubines a jaunty wave.
"Good morning, Princess, Duke, High Priest," I greet the three of them with a small bow - essentially just leaning my upper body forward a bit - each, in order of what I guess their 'official' social standing would be, though I easily might be mistaken. As emperor I probably didn't need to bow, but I figure that showing some manners and politeness can't hurt. And while I guess that unofficially, both the Duke and the High Priest might outrank the Princess due to their respective age and influence or power, it probably wouldn't do to go with that, especially since I could make even more mistakes here than with the "official" bit.

Instead, I turned my attention to the Duke's comment, answering in a similarly cheerful or jaunty tone, "I'm afraid my pets were left behind on my world when I was summoned here, which is one of the few things I regret about the recent events. I'm not sure why you think I brought them here with me, however. Are you sure you're alright? To mistake such lovely girls as these two for mere pets... I don't know whether optometrists or eyeglasses exist here, but perhaps you should have a skilled healer take a look at your eyes, just to make sure there is nothing wrong?"

Arachne is barely being able to restrain herself from TACKLING the table.

So much FOOD!
I place a hand on her shoulder and give her a reassuring squeeze, that'll hopefully help her restrain herself.
Kelenas
Kelenas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:35 am

Psyckosama wrote:By the time you're finished you've wasted theday...
... totally worth it.

It's a damned swimming pool!

Well, a swimming pool sized hot spring...
Perfect for a number of purposes, including enjoying the scenery while we soak and converse, no doubt.

They're wide awake. An its Arachne.
Not sure it was mentioned ICly yet, but I consider myself ICly corrected now.

I could probably say something in the way of explaining my reasoning now, but A) I'm more than a little drunk on happy and B) I realize I don't actually need to.

I give both sisters, the lamia, and the arachne an appreciative look before simply saying,

"Attend me."

And have the maid take us to the baths.

Once I get there, I find a comfortable lounging spot in the water and settle down with an oni on either side - a situation I am rapidly coming to accept as perfectly normal, if no less awesome for it. ^^ I indicate the spot opposite to the arachne and the lamia.

"Both of you have shown a commendable degree of resourcefulness and tenacity," again, I momentarily consider giving some explanation for why I'm saying this, but then realize I don't actually need to. That's both convenient and sobering in its own way. "Tell me more about yourselves and report, in detail, the particulars of your infiltration."

The arachne managed to get past the other hopefuls, even the battle maniac ones - I assume that there was a number of these present - and survived a dragon. A dragon that was holding back, yes, but a dragon nonetheless. Meanwhile, the lamia managed a dungeon bypass somehow, by the looks of it and of _her_ when she arrived, delicious nightie and not a hair or scale out of place. I want to know how. Plus, this allows for the sisters to vet them more thoroughly.

She flushes and stammers her thanks.

Seems they don't thank the help much. But it did make her happy.
... cannot ... resist ... adorable meido ...

Deploy tactical headpat.

Then ask if she is a servant of the palace/castle/etc. or whether she's been assigned to me specifically.

Yes, I do have a motive other than 'cute meido' here. I'm trying to get a grasp of whether or not I've inherited a household complete with staff, or if I'll have to see that that's put together on my own. Both have advantages, but I'd prefer the latter if given the choice.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:42 am

Kelenas wrote:Well, she's free to send one via the servants the castle no doubt has.
Her thanks, sire!

I can imagine, somewhat.
And this food isn't even related!

... so I'll blow up if I don't fuck often enough? ... I'm not sure whether I should consider that awesome or horrifying.
Half of one, two thirds of the other? Wink

Hm... something I'll have to think about, then.
Good luck...

That's quite interesting to know. If entire races can eventually change their spiritual aligntment over time, individuals can probably do so as well? It also means the Lamia are actually much more important than their status would indicate, as they diversify the demons' magical arsenal. The main problem might be if they're slowly sliding further towards the Dark end of the axis, removing their ability to use Light Magic.
It's less slowly sliding and more they're kinda demonic hybrids now. Lamia are a female only breed.

Whoa, easy there! I'm definitely not going to send her back, but I'd much rather she's my concubine and has sex with me because she *likes* being my concubine and having sex with me. Not because I'm essentially holding her hostage!
SHE LIKES IT! SHE LIKES IT!

"Don't worry, I wouldn't go around challenging him to a fight any time soon even if I had a good reason to. I don't know how much power being the Demon Lord actually gives me, but that doesn't really matter since I don't even know how to actually make it *do* anything."
Demon Emperors are FANTASTICALLY powerful...

New Sidequest Gained: Find a way to open a portal back to your homeworld, and raid a few warehouses to gain a few centuries' worth of aspirin and similar medications!
Don't hold your breath...

Actually, hold your breath. Could use the entertainment. Razz

Yep. I also hope she might be willing to help me learn magic if she's really that good with it, and I intend to give her as much freedom within the situation that's forced on her as possible. Like letting her determine when she wants to actually go and see about having a child.
She's pretty much going to be your first wife.

And probably soon.

I make a note of that, and maybe dig deeper if she has anything amongst those two she specifically favors. Either that, or find out if they're familiar with some of the salty snacks I know, such as pretzels, salted peanuts, fries, things like that.

And I promise I won't ever tell anyone! Now please stop looking at me with those pleading eyes!
Okay. You can look.

"Good morning, Princess, Duke, High Priest," I greet the three of them with a small bow - essentially just leaning my upper body forward a bit - each, in order of what I guess their 'official' social standing would be, though I easily might be mistaken. As emperor I probably didn't need to bow, but I figure that showing some manners and politeness can't hurt. And while I guess that unofficially, both the Duke and the High Priest might outrank the Princess due to their respective age and influence or power, it probably wouldn't do to go with that, especially since I could make even more mistakes here than with the "official" bit.

Instead, I turned my attention to the Duke's comment, answering in a similarly cheerful or jaunty tone, "I'm afraid my pets were left behind on my world when I was summoned here, which is one of the few things I regret about the recent events. I'm not sure why you think I brought them here with me, however. Are you sure you're alright? To mistake such lovely girls as these two for mere pets... I don't know whether optometrists or eyeglasses exist here, but perhaps you should have a skilled healer take a look at your eyes, just to make sure there is nothing wrong?"
The duke looks up. "I'll give that a 2.5..."

I place a hand on her shoulder and give her a reassuring squeeze, that'll hopefully help her restrain herself.
She's drooling and all of her eyes are wide.

"Would someone get the Spider a dribble cup. She's creating a slip and fall hazard..."

Anyways you do see potatos on the table.

The princess scowls. "Are you going to stand there or join us?"

Rieverre wrote:... totally worth it.
Yep.

Perfect for a number of purposes, including enjoying the scenery while we soak and converse, no doubt.
Though the sky is a murky featureless red. No sun, no clouds.

Okay.

I could probably say something in the way of explaining my reasoning now, but A) I'm more than a little drunk on happy and B) I realize I don't actually need to.

I give both sisters, the lamia, and the arachne an appreciative look before simply saying,

"Attend me."
The Laima nods. The Arachne looks somewhat confused but follows.

And have the maid take us to the baths.
She does.

Once I get there, I find a comfortable lounging spot in the water and settle down with an oni on either side - a situation I am rapidly coming to accept as perfectly normal, if no less awesome for it. ^^ I indicate the spot opposite to the arachne and the lamia.

"Both of you have shown a commendable degree of resourcefulness and tenacity," again, I momentarily consider giving some explanation for why I'm saying this, but then realize I don't actually need to. That's both convenient and sobering in its own way. "Tell me more about yourselves and report, in detail, the particulars of your infiltration."
"Yes sire..."

The arachne managed to get past the other hopefuls, even the battle maniac ones - I assume that there was a number of these present - and survived a dragon. A dragon that was holding back, yes, but a dragon nonetheless. Meanwhile, the lamia managed a dungeon bypass somehow, by the looks of it and of _her_ when she arrived, delicious nightie and not a hair or scale out of place. I want to know how. Plus, this allows for the sisters to vet them more thoroughly.
Uncommonly known fact. Most people don't look UP. She almost got past the damned dragon too and had it not been an indirect hit she's be dead.

Fucking flying idiots drawing attention to her. She was almost in the clear!

Thank god for that shield amulet she look off of on of her last... um... she looks from side to side and giggles.

"Assassination targets" the Lamia supplies, getting a glare.

*sigh* "Yes."

As for the Lamia.... she found a copy of a maintenance diagram of the vents in the archives. Where she used to work.

And if she hadn't had to stop to clean herself up, shed have won!

*glares at the sisters*

... cannot ... resist ... adorable meido ...
You are the Demon King... - Page 9 JnOSpDv

Deploy tactical headpat.

Then ask if she is a servant of the palace/castle/etc. or whether she's been assigned to me specifically.
"C-castle servant m'lord..."

Yes, I do have a motive other than 'cute meido' here. I'm trying to get a grasp of whether or not I've inherited a household complete with staff, or if I'll have to see that that's put together on my own. Both have advantages, but I'd prefer the latter if given the choice.
The sisters tell youthat traditionally the demon emperors harem handles his personal tasks... better security.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:21 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Though the sky is a murky featureless red. No sun, no clouds.
"Huh ... don't know what you've got until it's gone, I guess. I'll miss the blue sky just a little bit."

Okay.

The Laima nods. The Arachne looks somewhat confused but follows.
Looks like both she and I are going to need a primer on basic etiquette too. Fortunately, I think the sisters and the Lamia can provide that.

Uncommonly known fact. Most people don't look UP. She almost got past the damned dragon too and had it not been an indirect hit she's be dead.

Fucking flying idiots drawing attention to her. She was almost in the clear!

Thank god for that shield amulet she look off of on of her last... um... she looks from side to side and giggles.

"Assassination targets" the Lamia supplies, getting a glare.

*sigh* "Yes."
I simply nod at that, accepting it for what it was. The DRAGON INTERRUPT was fairly explicit in demonstrating the nature of that particular competition.

"Still, you managed to adapt and overcome in a hostile environment. It's alright to take pride in your abilities, even ones of that nature. And," here I take a sidelong look at one of the sisters. "We can certainly see where such talents might be useful."

Back to the Arachne. "Tell me what you've observed so far, on our way here and back in my chambers, and how you would go about executing a successful assassination of either myself, one of my handmaidens, or our current bedguests."

I want to see if she can come up with something on the spot, with limited intelligence available. Show her work, so to speak.

And if she manages a convincing case, I give both my handmaidens another glance. "I can definitely see the potential."

Before addressing the Arachne again. "I can use you. Certainly, my handmaidens serve as my bodyguards, but to simply use them as that would be woefully inefficient. So, given your resume, I'm offering you the position of concubine. Your most important duty would be to keep vigilant against precisely the approaches you outlined, towards myself or any in my entourage, and take action where necessary."

As for the Lamia.... she found a copy of a maintenance diagram of the vents in the archives. Where she used to work.

And if she hadn't had to stop to clean herself up, shed have won!

*glares at the sisters*
"Lesson learned, then," I say. "So, beyond simply infiltration, you are familiar with research, archival systems and sorcery, as you demonstrated not so long ago. What is the extent of your magical aptitude?"

She already got a concubine slot, but I want to have a better idea of what she's capable of ... and the sisters will give me feedback as to how that's rated.

"C-castle servant m'lord..."
Nod. "Someone instructed you to tell me about the bath. Who? And were you informed to tell me of further points on my agenda for today?"

The sisters tell youthat traditionally the demon emperors harem handles his personal tasks... better security.
And who sees to the harem, or are they meant to take care of themselves? I suppose we could have some whose dedicated task it is to _be_ our household staff. In which case, we're ending up with one anyway.

Speaking of which, what _is_ the gender distribution of the demon world anyway? So far, other than the orc guards, the duke, the general and the high priest, I've been running into women ... is this deliberate, or representative of population trends?
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelenas on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Psyckosama wrote:It's less slowly sliding and more they're kinda demonic hybrids now. Lamia are a female only breed.
That raises some interesting questions about how the different demon-species reproduce and interbreed. For example, do Lamia always beget Lamia-children? Or would her children be a mix, with some being Lamia, and others being whatever breed the father is? Also, how many different demon-breeds are there?
Demon Emperors are FANTASTICALLY powerful...
Well, that should be useful once I actually figure out how to use all that power.
She's pretty much going to be your first wife.

And probably soon.
I admit I'm looking forward to spending some time talking with her.
The princess scowls. "Are you going to stand there or join us?"
(kinda assumed I'd sit down automatically. meh.)
Taking that as my cue, I sit down at the table (after giving Arachne a nudge to shake her out of her food-stupor and simply ignoring the Duke's further jabs), trying to remember and follow the rules and manners my handmaidens briefed me in as best as possible. I continue eating and maybe making a bit smalltalk (such as asking about unfamiliar dishes), until I feel it's polite to start a conversation.
I'd like to do so by talking with the princess, but business comes before pleasure, and aside from that, I would prefer my first conversation with her to be private, not with the Duke (or the High Priest and my Handmaidens/Concubines) present. So instead, I focus on the High Priest, by starting with how the maid who led me to the bath mentioned that he was responsible for my schedule, and by asking about my duties as the emperor. Basically, trying to get an idea of what's in store for me today, so I can start mentally preparing for it.
Kelenas
Kelenas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:56 pm

Rieverre wrote:
"Huh ... don't know what you've got until it's gone, I guess. I'll miss the blue sky just a little bit."
The sisters think the sky in the mortal world is a bit busy.

Others have never seen it.

Looks like both she and I are going to need a primer on basic etiquette too. Fortunately, I think the sisters and the Lamia can provide that.
Actually the sisters are better for that. The Lamia knows table manners. The Sisters know courtly manners.

I simply nod at that, accepting it for what it was. The DRAGON INTERRUPT was fairly explicit in demonstrating the nature of that particular competition.
She grimances.

"Still, you managed to adapt and overcome in a hostile environment. It's alright to take pride in your abilities, even ones of that nature. And," here I take a sidelong look at one of the sisters. "We can certainly see where such talents might be useful."
"Actually it's more I don't like mentioning that aspect of my... former career. Tends to draw daggers to ones back. After the first half dozen attempts on ones life you get a bit... touche"

Back to the Arachne. "Tell me what you've observed so far, on our way here and back in my chambers, and how you would go about executing a successful assassination of either myself, one of my handmaidens, or our current bedguests."
She pauses for a moment. "Um. This might be a while..."

I want to see if she can come up with something on the spot, with limited intelligence available. Show her work, so to speak.
She gives you an itemized LIST.

She's very creative and a bit terrifying really.

And if she manages a convincing case, I give both my handmaidens another glance. "I can definitely see the potential."
The girls look a bit put off by it that's for sure...

Before addressing the Arachne again. "I can use you. Certainly, my handmaidens serve as my bodyguards, but to simply use them as that would be woefully inefficient. So, given your resume, I'm offering you the position of concubine. Your most important duty would be to keep vigilant against precisely the approaches you outlined, towards myself or any in my entourage, and take action where necessary."
She grins and looks at the Lamia. "I'll need that map..."

"Why?"

"Mousetraps! By all rights they should have only known you were going through the vents when they started smelling the decaying body. The fact you got out ALIVE says that someones has been SLACKING!"

"MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

She looks... kinda scary.

"Lesson learned, then," I say. "So, beyond simply infiltration, you are familiar with research, archival systems and sorcery, as you demonstrated not so long ago. What is the extent of your magical aptitude?"
She's an accolyte capable in Light and Dark magic both... though she aptitude for Light magic is the stronger of the two

Besides that... filing clerk.

She already got a concubine slot, but I want to have a better idea of what she's capable of ... and the sisters will give me feedback as to how that's rated.
Low level but might have some potential.

Nod. "Someone instructed you to tell me about the bath. Who? And were you informed to tell me of further points on my agenda for today?"
"The High Priest ordered me to show you to the baths... and said to bring you to breakfast when you were finished."

And who sees to the harem, or are they meant to take care of themselves? I suppose we could have some whose dedicated task it is to _be_ our household staff. In which case, we're ending up with one anyway.
The Harem basically was to include your personal staff.

Speaking of which, what _is_ the gender distribution of the demon world anyway? So far, other than the orc guards, the duke, the general and the high priest, I've been running into women ... is this deliberate, or representative of population trends?
More the nature of the competition along with the fact there are some female only demon breeds... like Arachne and Lamia

Kelenas wrote:That raises some interesting questions about how the different demon-species reproduce and interbreed. For example, do Lamia always beget Lamia-children? Or would her children be a mix, with some being Lamia, and others being whatever breed the father is? Also, how many different demon-breeds are there?
Lamia tend to bare Lamia. It's why their status is so low. The normal intermarrages don't work. Same with Arachne.

Well, that should be useful once I actually figure out how to use all that power.
Yep.

I admit I'm looking forward to spending some time talking with her.
Alright.

Taking that as my cue, I sit down at the table (after giving Arachne a nudge to shake her out of her food-stupor and simply ignoring the Duke's further jabs), trying to remember and follow the rules and manners my handmaidens briefed me in as best as possible. I continue eating and maybe making a bit smalltalk (such as asking about unfamiliar dishes), until I feel it's polite to start a conversation.
It's polite though the Duke is a smartass, the princess is cranky as hell, and the priest is aloof.

I'd like to do so by talking with the princess, but business comes before pleasure, and aside from that, I would prefer my first conversation with her to be private, not with the Duke (or the High Priest and my Handmaidens/Concubines) present. So instead, I focus on the High Priest, by starting with how the maid who led me to the bath mentioned that he was responsible for my schedule, and by asking about my duties as the emperor. Basically, trying to get an idea of what's in store for me today, so I can start mentally preparing for it.
Today is mostly to fill you in on how the world works and the nature of some of your clans. Beyond that... they're starting you slow.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelenas on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:01 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Lamia tend to bare Lamia. It's why their status is so low. The normal intermarrages don't work. Same with Arachne.
Ah, okay.
It's polite though the Duke is a smartass, the princess is cranky as hell, and the priest is aloof.
Pretty much as expected.
Today is mostly to fill you in on how the world works and the nature of some of your clans. Beyond that... they're starting you slow.
Alright, what's the first thing, then?

(OOC: Short reply, but not really much to work with.)
Kelenas
Kelenas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironforge on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Indeed. He heard what she tried. He doesn't know if he should feel cross or not.
"Well look on the bright side there High Priest, it just added another layer of challenge to that test and made it even more likely that only the very best and craftiest made it past."

A couple, most of them are in this room.
"Well that makes things rather easy then in deciding.

So Royal Princess, might I ask for your aid as my adviser? As while I know you share no love for me or why I'm here.

I am rather sure you would be the best suited to be my adviser. As with how you royal upbringing must have prepared you to rule, your experience in the courtly arts/customs and how with you I would not have to worry overly much in how you might favor one clan over all others since you are of the royal blood, while at the same time your appointment should not ruffle to many feathers of the other leaders."

How many pages has this gone to in how many days? I'm pretty much writing it as I come up with it at this point.
OC: Point.

That and a sink or swim culture. Remember, you're replaceable. She's not.

"Consider it a test of your ability to adapt."
"You know considering how long live your people are, I figured you might have taken a slower or longer view at things here.

But I guess I really should have expect a more sink or swim mindset here considering what I've already seen of your people and the fact that I must still be utter replaceable to you.

Though if you don't mind a asking, what is the standard lifespan of a summoned Demon King to your people? As for most summoned ones, I would wager they don't make it very far if they don't just become figureheads or puppets considering you don't really seem to have any real expectations of me considering your past comments?"

In a day or so. Enough to ask specific questions.
OC: Alright then how does this work for yeah?

"So High Priest, might I ask what are the current strong religions in the kingdom and who of the clans leaders follow which ones or if at all? As I'm sure talk of the gods or god will come up during the clan meeting and if your people share anything remotely similar as my people in how you hold your faith. Screwing up how I handle that or worse yet insulting one of the clan leaders faith seems like a really quick way for me to make things go fubar here and I rather avoid that pitfall if at all possible.

Also The Duke, of the current leaders I will meet later. Are there're any long term rivalries or allies between clans that I should know about? As I would like to know who I will be pissing off or pleasing when I side with or favor one clans ideas over another.

An of the clans who currently most supports the throne, as beside the dark elves and the dragons what can I expect on that front of the other clans?

Also what does each clan do for the empire? As besides the easy one like the orcs most likely being the bulk of our armed forces, the main muscle and have a most likely very military mindset because of it overall. What can I expect from the others in that respect?'
Ironforge
Ironforge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Psyckosama wrote:The sisters think the sky in the mortal world is a bit busy.

Others have never seen it.
... might be a good and fairly natural place to ask the sisters what _this_ human world is like.

Actually the sisters are better for that. The Lamia knows table manners. The Sisters know courtly manners.
Yes, but I should probably start from the beginning and work my way up from there.

She grimances.

"Actually it's more I don't like mentioning that aspect of my... former career. Tends to draw daggers to ones back. After the first half dozen attempts on ones life you get a bit... touche"
"Understandable. At risk of stating the obvious, let me make one thing clear. I don't condone in-house assassinations without good reason. And ambition does not qualify as a good reason."

She pauses for a moment. "Um. This might be a while..."
"The ones most likely to succeed and not lead to the assassin getting killed as a likely secondary outcome. One where nobody knows the assassin was even there are preferable."

She gives you an itemized LIST.

She's very creative and a bit terrifying really.
I look at the list.

Then back to her.

Then back at the list.

Then back to her ...

"You. Are _mine_."

She grins and looks at the Lamia. "I'll need that map..."

"Why?"

"Mousetraps! By all rights they should have only known you were going through the vents when they started smelling the decaying body. The fact you got out ALIVE says that someones has been SLACKING!"

"MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

She looks... kinda scary.
"I'd save the laughter until after Akagi," I incline my head towards the elder sister, "or Akatsuki," the younger, "have given you your straight up combat evaluation."

Pause to wait for a reaction.

She's an accolyte capable in Light and Dark magic both... though she aptitude for Light magic is the stronger of the two

Besides that... filing clerk.
Oh.

For a moment, I don't react.

Then, a positively demonic (^^) grin finds its way onto my face. I knew both of them would be useful ... I just didn't know they'd be _this_ useful. And yes, I mean her having experience with the workings of local bureaucracy at least as much as I mean her aptitude for light magic.

"Have you ever supervised a clerical staff? Or were you too junior?"

"The High Priest ordered me to show you to the baths... and said to bring you to breakfast when you were finished."
"Have clothes ready for myself and my handmaidens. Something comfortable without being too informal. The sisters ... ask what they would like prepared, they have a better idea of what is appropriate than I do. Will it be just the High Priest, or are others in attendance?"

Anyway, I also leave instructions to have a breakfast spread delivered to the suite for my concubines. After we're done with the bath, I inform Lamia and Arachne that the sisters and myself will be attending a breakfast meeting, food is being brought to the suites for their morning meal, and I have instructions.

To Arachne: "You will begin a comprehensive security evaluation and risk assessment of our suite, as well as prepare a list of proposals for solutions to any problems you discover. Also, while neither myself nor my Hands are present, you will be responsible for the safety of my possessions. Not that those are very numerous at the moment, but I felt it a good idea to get this out of the way early."

To Lamia: "You will prepare a report regarding recent history for me. The events you deem important, and ones that are a matter of public record."

I could just get one from the sisters, but they'll be attending the meeting with me and thus busy, so ... resource management.

Then I dress and have the maid lead myself and the sisters to breakfast ... though I tell her to pick a route that leaves us with a bit of travel time.

"So," I say to the sisters as we walk. "Opinions? Speak freely."

And yes, I'm aware that you can either have servants or you can have privacy, but not both, and I expect the sisters are equally aware of that.

Oh, yes, and I ask them which of them is more skilled at penning formal missives, messages and letters, and to remind me of that when we get back to our suite.

The Harem basically was to include your personal staff.
There's a joke in here that I'm not touching because it's too easy.

Will have to work on that. Hmm ... as cute as the meido is, she's probably a plant put here precisely because of that. Could be useful if played correctly.

More the nature of the competition along with the fact there are some female only demon breeds... like Arachne and Lamia
Well, that explains that. Are there any other notable breeds that share the characteristic?

... please be kitsune. Please be kitsune.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Psyckosama wrote:"Actually if you manage to meet her standards she'll happily kill any of your enemies."

"Dragons are complicated."
"Well, as the old saying goes, 'hope for the best and plan for the worst' and all that."

Hey, nothing wrong with banging the help... :p
In that case....though maybe later.

"I'll take youthere, sire..."
"Thank you little maid. Is there anything on the agenda for me today or am I supposed to still be getting settled in?"

She does along with the Oni sisters and the others if you invite them...
But of course I'm sure they're a bit...sweaty... from the night before.

Hotspring swiming pool!
..."AWESOME!!!" Guilty pleasure of mine...I enjoy relaxing in hot water.

As I clean up I ask the girls a little about themselves, backstory and skills, why they volunteered for this sort of thing. As well as a bit about their particular species and just how many others are in the demon realm. I also mention that the orcs are not what would have expected orcs to be.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Kelenas wrote:Alright, what's the first thing, then?

(OOC: Short reply, but not really much to work with.)
At this point how about all of you start asking questions about setting and groups and I'll post this for all of you because copy pasting it a thousand times is for the fucking birds.

Ironforge wrote:"Well look on the bright side there High Priest, it just added another layer of challenge to that test and made it even more likely that only the very best and craftiest made it past."
"I don't care about that. As it seems you've collected a useful set of servants. That's the entire point. You also managed to make a good impression on the Dragons. That's even better."

"Well that makes things rather easy then in deciding.
"Indeed."

So Royal Princess, might I ask for your aid as my adviser? As while I know you share no love for me or why I'm here.
"Of course," she replies, "Have no other choice in the matter so I might as well make this as... low conflict as possible."

She has a large scowl.

I am rather sure you would be the best suited to be my adviser. As with how you royal upbringing must have prepared you to rule, your experience in the courtly arts/customs and how with you I would not have to worry overly much in how you might favor one clan over all others since you are of the royal blood, while at the same time your appointment should not ruffle to many feathers of the other leaders."
"Yes, that is true. I do expect you to pay attention. Understand while this may be strange and outside for you, for me, this is my home and birthright and I will not have you destroy my family legacy."

"You know considering how long live your people are, I figured you might have taken a slower or longer view at things here.

But I guess I really should have expect a more sink or swim mindset here considering what I've already seen of your people and the fact that I must still be utter replaceable to you.

Though if you don't mind a asking, what is the standard lifespan of a summoned Demon King to your people? As for most summoned ones, I would wager they don't make it very far if they don't just become figureheads or puppets considering you don't really seem to have any real expectations of me considering your past comments?"
"Most are just intern leaders... though once in a while we are pleasantly surprised."

"So High Priest, might I ask what are the current strong religions in the kingdom and who of the clans leaders follow which ones or if at all? As I'm sure talk of the gods or god will come up during the clan meeting and if your people share anything remotely similar as my people in how you hold your faith. Screwing up how I handle that or worse yet insulting one of the clan leaders faith seems like a really quick way for me to make things go fubar here and I rather avoid that pitfall if at all possible.
"There are many faiths, though ancestor worship is very common as is the veneration of the Dark Gods. I'm the Keeper of the Imperial Shrine, among my many duties."

Also The Duke, of the current leaders I will meet later. Are there're any long term rivalries or allies between clans that I should know about? As I would like to know who I will be pissing off or pleasing when I side with or favor one clans ideas over another.
"Plenty. Any clans you're interested in asking about?"

An of the clans who currently most supports the throne, as beside the dark elves and the dragons what can I expect on that front of the other clans?
"The Dark Elves are allied more than subordinate as the bulk of their holdings are in the mortal realm. The Orcs are reliable as long as you can hold the support of their Warlord. The Oni are highly political but a strong island of support. The Lamia tend to be semi-independent but give their proper tribute, and while they may be political creatures, they're often rather low...drama. The Arachne as you've probably already guessed are delightfully vicious and duplicitous creatures who would eat you as much as look at you. I suggest you extract the true name from your little pet as soon as possible as insurance."

The princess scoffs. "You do not simply 'extract' someones true name. There are traditions to be followed..."

If you ask.

"You have to make an equal trade."

"Considering her fate if he rejected her, I believe he already has."

"Well then, that's up to the Emperor to decide."

They're judging you!

Also what does each clan do for the empire? As besides the easy one like the orcs most likely being the bulk of our armed forces, the main muscle and have a most likely very military mindset because of it overall. What can I expect from the others in that respect?'
Orcs, Goblins, an Kobolds are the bulk of the ground forces along with allied humans.

Then you have the "common" demons... and then the clans.

Rieverre wrote:... might be a good and fairly natural place to ask the sisters what _this_ human world is like.
Insert description of Stereotypical fantasy world here

Yes, but I should probably start from the beginning and work my way up from there.
True.

"Understandable. At risk of stating the obvious, let me make one thing clear. I don't condone in-house assassinations without good reason. And ambition does not qualify as a good reason."
She pouts. "Not even the annoying ones?"

"The ones most likely to succeed and not lead to the assassin getting killed as a likely secondary outcome. One where nobody knows the assassin was even there are preferable."
She gives you a level look. You can almost read the words "No shit" on her face.

I look at the list.

Then back to her.

Then back at the list.

Then back to her ...

"You. Are _mine_."
She grins.

Pretty smile.

"I'd save the laughter until after Akagi," I incline my head towards the elder sister, "or Akatsuki," the younger, "have given you your straight up combat evaluation."

Pause to wait for a reaction.
"Ah... I don't really 'do' combat..." ^_^'''

Oh.

For a moment, I don't react.

Then, a positively demonic (^^) grin finds its way onto my face. I knew both of them would be useful ... I just didn't know they'd be _this_ useful. And yes, I mean her having experience with the workings of local bureaucracy at least as much as I mean her aptitude for light magic.

"Have you ever supervised a clerical staff? Or were you too junior?"
"Do Neophytes count?"

"Have clothes ready for myself and my handmaidens. Something comfortable without being too informal. The sisters ... ask what they would like prepared, they have a better idea of what is appropriate than I do. Will it be just the High Priest, or are others in attendance?"
He will be along with the Duke and Princess.

Anyway, I also leave instructions to have a breakfast spread delivered to the suite for my concubines. After we're done with the bath, I inform Lamia and Arachne that the sisters and myself will be attending a breakfast meeting, food is being brought to the suites for their morning meal, and I have instructions.
Alright.

To Arachne: "You will begin a comprehensive security evaluation and risk assessment of our suite, as well as prepare a list of proposals for solutions to any problems you discover. Also, while neither myself nor my Hands are present, you will be responsible for the safety of my possessions. Not that those are very numerous at the moment, but I felt it a good idea to get this out of the way early."
Yes sire... she'll start looking over the Royal Wing.

To Lamia: "You will prepare a report regarding recent history for me. The events you deem important, and ones that are a matter of public record."
Anypoints of interest?

I could just get one from the sisters, but they'll be attending the meeting with me and thus busy, so ... resource management.
Ah.

Then I dress and have the maid lead myself and the sisters to breakfast ... though I tell her to pick a route that leaves us with a bit of travel time.

"So," I say to the sisters as we walk. "Opinions? Speak freely."
Honestly the snake seems to be a bit inexperienced and unexceptional... more young and lucky than anything. Though luck is still useful.

The Spider they don't trust. That said, Arachne on the whole are not truthsworthy.

And yes, I'm aware that you can either have servants or you can have privacy, but not both, and I expect the sisters are equally aware of that.
Okay.

Oh, yes, and I ask them which of them is more skilled at penning formal missives, messages and letters, and to remind me of that when we get back to our suite.
The younger tends to do most of the writing. The elder tends to become a bit too impassioned with the details.

There's a joke in here that I'm not touching because it's too easy.
Believe me, I don't want to touch your staff either.

Will have to work on that. Hmm ... as cute as the meido is, she's probably a plant put here precisely because of that. Could be useful if played correctly.
You'll see.

Well, that explains that. Are there any other notable breeds that share the characteristic?

... please be kitsune. Please be kitsune.[/quote]
Kitsune are nature spirits. Razz

Brian Boru wrote:"Well, as the old saying goes, 'hope for the best and plan for the worst' and all that."
You're given a funny look. "In this case plan for the worst is 'prepare for death'."

In that case....though maybe later.
Heh.

"Thank you little maid.  Is there anything on the agenda for me today or am I supposed to still be getting settled in?"
"A breakfast with the High Priest, The Duke, and the Royal Princess."

But of course I'm sure they're a bit...sweaty... from the night before.
Alright.

[quote..."AWESOME!!!"  Guilty pleasure of mine...I enjoy relaxing in hot water.  

As I clean up I ask the girls a little about themselves, backstory and skills, why they volunteered for this sort of thing.  As well as a bit about their particular species and just how many others are in the demon realm.  I also mention that the orcs are not what would have expected orcs to be.[/quote]
Would it be alright if I just pointed "up" on this one? OR what details would you like?

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Insert description of Stereotypical fantasy world here
Including stereotypical slew of fantasy religions?

She pouts. "Not even the annoying ones?"
"Well, I don't know, it depends on whether or not you want to go looking for a new patron so soon," I start, perfectly deadpan and serious. Pause.

Grin.

"So no, not even the annoying ones. Save it for clear and present danger to the household. The others, you come to me about."

She gives you a level look. You can almost read the words "No shit" on her face.
Shrug. "Fanatics, true believers, disposable dupes, constructs," I tick off on my fingers. And probably a number of other possibilities I'd missed.

"Ah... I don't really 'do' combat..."  ^_^'''
"An assassin might have the luxury of choosing the time, place and conditions of an engagement, to a certain extent. Given your new responsibilities, though, I believe the time will come where you'll need to be more flexible than that. You'll learn," I tell her, calmly. "Mind, I don't intend to send you into heavy combat situations, but I do want you to be able to be capable of neutralizing a threat to myself or my entourage with as little risk as possible to my property. That includes you. Sweat in training to not bleed in combat. Bleed in training to not die in combat."

"Do Neophytes count?"
"Did they run around like a herd of willful cats if left without supervision for too long? If so, then I'd say yes. Especially if you managed to get them to be productive."

He will be along with the Duke and Princess.
Figures. Once more unto the breach.

Yes sire... she'll start looking over the Royal Wing.
I give a pointed look, first to the Lamia, then the Arachne herself when I say the bit about her being responsible for the safety of my possessions in my absence. Yes, I'm being about as subtle as brick through the window, but I want to make sure the point is understood.

Anypoints of interest?
Events pertaining to my predecessor and his household. Possibly ones related to the Fire Dragon Clan as well. Otherwise, general recent history and state of the realm kind of thing.

Honestly the snake seems to be a bit inexperienced and unexceptional... more young and lucky than anything. Though luck is still useful.
"Is healing magic common enough that it doesn't rate a mention?" I ask.

"I'm actually more interested in the other experience she's had," I offer, referring to her prior job. "Let's wait until we get back and see the quality of her report. If she's as good at that as I hope, then she will be extremely useful in the long run, with her talents properly fostered."

The Spider they don't trust. That said, Arachne on the whole are not truthsworthy.
"That sounds like a story and a half. Elaborate?"

The younger tends to do most of the writing. The elder tends to become a bit too impassioned with the details.
I instruct her to remind me that I wish to use of that talent of hers when we get back to the suites.

What I have in mind is sending a very formal, very proper, very polite letter to Grand Princess Fire Dragon inviting her to visit and expressing interesting in learning more about her people, as well as making use of her counsel. And append a second letter, written by my own hand, saying exactly the same thing but using my own phrasing. I'm hoping to show that, yes, I can follow established forms, but value personal touches and connections as well.

... yes, I'm doing all that for the coffee. I have no other ulterior motives. At all. ^^

You'll see.
That I will.

Kitsune are nature spirits. Razz
... mah fluffy ... bring back mah fluffy ...

... this calls for diplomacy!
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironforge on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:26 pm

Psyckosama wrote:
"Of course," she replies, "Have no other choice in the matter so I might as well make this as... low conflict as possible."

She has a large scowl.
"Well then thanks for agreeing to the post and the chance, as I can imagine how all this must gall you so."

"Yes, that is true. I do expect you to pay attention. Understand while this may be strange and outside for you, for me, this is my home and birthright and I will not have you destroy my family legacy."
"Oh I have no intention of doing that and every intention of learning as much and as quickly as I can about your realm and it's people as soon as possible. As I like how things are set up no more then you right now.

Though I must ask that we will meet up later today or soon then to set up a schedule into fixing those issues and a chance to get to learn about who will working with for a long time to come, as I rather us can at least learn to stand each other in some kind of mutual respectful way. As the sooner we can fix those issues, the happier I think we can both be Royal Princess."

"Most are just intern leaders... though once in a while we are pleasantly surprised."
"Well if you don't mind me asking, when was the last pleasant surprise of a summoned king then?"

"There are many faiths, though ancestor worship is very common as is the veneration of the Dark Gods. I'm the Keeper of the Imperial Shrine, among my many duties."
"Well are there any major religious faux pas I should be aware of then that might not be noticeable to someone without any knowledge on the religious customs of your lands and Great Clan leaders?"

"Plenty. Any clans you're interested in asking about?"
"Well I would prefer to know how all the Great Clans deal with each other on that front, but if that is not possible. Can you tell me how the relationships between the Oni, Lamia and dragons work then? As since I doubt I will be able to please all of the Great Clan leaders. I would like to know more about those I should have best odds in dealing with the proper Info and my current resources. An I would like to see if doing so would be possible."

"The Dark Elves are allied more than subordinate as the bulk of their holdings are in the mortal realm."
"So would you say they are more like a satellite Great Clan then? Since while they hold power here, their main interests most likely lay outside our lands."

"The Orcs are reliable as long as you can hold the support of their Warlord."
"Good to know, though how often do they usually go through Warlords?"

The Oni are highly political, but a strong island of support.
Well that should help with my current plans then.

The Lamia tend to be semi-independent but give their proper tribute, and while they may be political creatures, they're often rather low...drama.
"Good to know, as have low drama is always a plus in dealing with political powers."

The Arachne as you've probably already guessed are delightfully vicious and duplicitous creatures who would eat you as much as look at you. I suggest you extract the true name from your little pet as soon as possible as insurance."

The princess scoffs. "You do not simply 'extract' someones true name. There are traditions to be followed..."

If you ask.

"You have to make an equal trade."

"Considering her fate if he rejected her, I believe he already has."

"Well then, that's up to the Emperor to decide."

They're judging you!
OC: Aren't they always?

"Ok first off, while I think I understand the basic practice to true name giving as a lot like binding in a lesser scale here. An how that a equal trade or one that both parties can agree to most be met for it to be fair. An as The Duke pointed out it seems that a fair trade has already been reached for a life for a life.

I most ask what is that proper way of this here, as considering how I don't have either of your understand or knowledge here to this practice. It would be nice to know what are my options here first before I move forward. As I'm getting tried of all these blind choices I have been forced into making as of late and would like to avoid them further if I can."

Orcs, Goblins, an Kobolds are the bulk of the ground forces along with allied humans.

Then you have the "common" demons... and then the clans.
"Ok then, besides the Great Clans then. How many smaller clans do we have that either fall under them or are on there own?

Also with the rest of the Great clans, who of them currently has the the most power in the court and out of it?"
Ironforge
Ironforge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:56 pm

Psyckosama wrote:You're given a funny look. "In this case plan for the worst is 'prepare for death'."
"Amend to pray that the worst never happens?"

"A breakfast with the High Priest, The Duke, and the Royal Princess."
"Very well then, I'll be ready as quickly as I can."

If I notice spider girl dribbling I mention, "Any chance we could get something for the Arachne right quick to take the edge off? Rather not have her embarrassing herself you know."

Would it be alright if I just pointed "up" on this one? OR what details would you like?
Oni Sisters: Combat and command
Lamia: Magic and Clerical work
Spider: Infiltration and espionage.

Once I hear about that I nod, "Not a bad spread of skills there. Not bad at all."

I glance at them, "You know, the four of have been rather uninquisitive about myself, I'm kind of surprised at that. Especially considering we're going to be working with each other for a long while. Any reason for that."

OOC: Not asking that YOU make up questions just wondering why they haven't.

Either way I eventually clean up, get dressed, and head down to breakfast, time to deal with the old man, Princess Justifiably Angry, and Duke need to be introduced to a sledgehammer to the face. I DON'T voice these monikers.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:14 am

Okay, Iron gave me these questions... consider your characters all being told this at some point in the day

1: The break down of the magic system in this setting and the effects it is
currently being used in.

Magic is divided into 4 Elements and 4 spirital polarities.

The Elements are Earth, Fire, Wind, and Water. The Polarities are Light and Darkness, and Order and Chaos.

Most magic involves one or more of the elements and/or polarities being combined to create a desired effect.

Elements cannot be combined with their opposite and the same is true for the spiritual polarities.

2: What is the current level of tech and or Sciences in our Realm and of the other Major
Powers?

Seems to be Renaissance meets steampunk. A good deal of intermediate technology was never created mainly due to the fact that it really didn't do anything that they couldn't already do better and more cheaply with a spell.

3: Is there such thing as Magic-Tech or does magic and mundane tech not mix well at all?

Steampunk.

4: What are the other major Powers Besides the Demon Kingdom/Empire?

Powers is not the right word for it. Realms is more like it.

The Demon Realm in a world of Fire, Chaos, and Darkness... the inhabitants are extremely powerful but are naturally contrary and very individualistic and agressive. Without the Demon Emperor to unite them and anchor the realm they'd fall the fuck apart... and are well aware of it.

The Ethereal Realm is the home of the various Angelic beings. It's oriented towards Law, Order, and Light. They tend to be very moralistic and strict, with a very strong sense of honor but extremely benevolent in a patronizing kind of way. As you can expect they get along with Demons in that special way elemental sodium does pure water...

The Spirit Realm is oriented towards Earth, Chaos, and Light. It's the home of the Fey and Animal Spirits. They tend to be very independent, easy going, and happy go lucky... but they're also very irrelevant and thoughtless, and tend to have a mixed reputation as cruel pranksters or extremely benevolent depending on their mood.

Finally you have the Neather Realm ruled by the "Undead", its a realm of Water, Darkness, and Order. The undead tend to be hierarchical, decedent, and domineering. (Please note, the so called Undead very often aren't truly dead as much as they are a different form of life. Vampires especially can reproduce naturally with both each other and mortals.)

Finally, between the 4 and serving as a bridge you have the mortal realm which is neutral and because of that has profound power...

5: What do each of the 5 Great clans do for the Demon Empire and there
History with said Empire?

Five great clans? When did I define a number and say they were the only ones. Let the GM come up with new content.

The Oni were conquered early during the empire. Back then they were divided into dozens of competing noble houses who fought for constant dominance but one family was with the emperor's assistance and in exchange for their submission, create the Red Oni bloodline and conquer the other houses and then conquer the other families. That being the Blue Oni family.

The Fire Demons have reduced in numbers dramatically and in many areas are still pretty much the local unwashed psychotic barbarians.

The Fire Dragons are technically a mortal race that is descended from dragons who allied with the first Demon Emperor during his quest to conquer the 5 worlds. They've done rather well for themselves.

The Lamia and Arachne are imports from the Spirit world.

Then you have the other demon types I haven't gone into, (sorry) and the "humanoid" demons who are the mixed blooded decedents of the first emperor's human followers. On the whole they tend to look like humans with horns. Technically the royal family are all humanoid demons. While of mortal decent they're pretty much a mixing pot of demonic bloodlines these days and the main human features they retain are their mostly human looks and a less polarized spirituality.

The Dark Elves are Fey blooded "mortal" beings who have willingly embraced the darkness. They are arrogant, manipulative, and somewhat megalomaniacal. They live mostly in the mortal realm and have something of an overinflated sense of self-worth. Basically they're Elves.

Finally you have the beast races, the most prominant of which are orcs. They are pure blooded mortals for the most part, most of whom come from or are descended from the various clans in the mortal realm who have made pacts to deal with the more organized and magically talented humans and elves who in many areas have driven them into the scrublands. They give the Demons their numbers, the demons give them their power, and they respect strength. As long as you don't dick around with them and are able to make sure they remember who's the strongest, they're very stalwart.

6: What kinds of Gods are in these setting both god and Bad and how often do they get
involved.

Not very often... at least not directly, but they're perfectly willing to aid your enemies in back handed ways should you piss them off.

Thankfully they tend to be somewhat neutrally minded.

7: What kinds of lands does the Empire have and what kinds do the other realms have?

The Demon Realm is a blasted vulcanic wasteland. Red clay and black sand, with a sunless red sky during the day and a dark violet sky at night. The only plants that live in the realm are hearty and slow growing, or feed off of the very magic of the realm. The only water tends to be in the form of mud pools and hot springs, while there are in some areas entire oceans of lava.

It's basically hell.

The Ethereal is a land of towering mountains, deep valleys, and eternal light. It's hauntingly beautiful, but can be unforgiving to the unwary.

The Spirit World is a vast woodland that is alive with spirits and said to have a soul of its own. It can be bountiful and care free, a virtual eden in some places... and in others its more nightmarish and forboding as any of the dark realms.

The Neather is a vast expanse of ocean and ice trapped in eternal twilight. Noone knows what lives in the abyss of its oceans, and most fear to find out. The Undead live in palaces built on the few rocky islands or literally carved out of the great ice.

The mortal realm is ye olde generic fantasy world.

9: How large is the current pop. of the Demon Empire and the other Major Powers?

OOC No.

10: How is the trade and financial economy of the Empire?

Problematic. As you can imagine food is always an issue. Most of the mortal realms don't like to sell to demons, a bias the Angels do their damnedest to perpetuate and honestly the Demons don't do much to change.

11: What kind of History does the Empire have?

Long. Thousands of years.

12: How to the other realms usually deal with and think about the Empire?

Mostly dislike. The Mortals consider demons "Evil" though there are always those willing to do buisness.

The Angelic leadership HATES the demonic, though frankly they tend to be a rather unforgiving bunch who are fast to even exile thier own for not living up totheir standards (Fallen Angels)

The Demons and Undead tend to get along rather poorly but since the rise of the demon emperor most of the heats left things... though they still see demons are classless savages who are incapable of appreciating the finer things in life.

The Spirits and Demons get along rather well as long as they can keep from antagonizing each other.

13: What kind of culture does the Demon Empire have and what is the culture of the other
Major Powers?

Just say no to Monoculture.

14: What kind of creatures live in our Lands and those of the other Major Powers?

I'm not rewriting the Monster Manuel here. Assume generic fantasy unless told othewise.

15: What are the strengths and weaknesses of all the Major Powers?

Demons have poor organization and numbers, tending to be very poor soldiers but superb warriors.

Angels are very inflexible and lack the more powerful forms of attack magic.

Spirits are individually powerful and have greater numbers, but are even more poorly organized than demons.

Undead have vast numbers of cannon fodder controlled by small numbers of powerful commanders, but their soldiers are literally brainless and are pretty much nothing without their leaders.

Mortals have powerful magics, massive numbers, and are insanely adaptable... but have a tendency to forget damned near everything they learned damned near between naps.

16: Do the other major powers know how Demon Kings are chosen?

Some. Most can't do anything about it. Attacking the Demon realm is a bad idea.

17: What are the current state of the arms for each Major Power?

Like its going to be that easy.

18: What are the Histories of the other Major Powers?

Ask again later

19: What are the Major Goals of all the Major Powers?

see #17

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelenas on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:48 am

Psyckosama wrote:Okay, Iron gave me these questions... consider your characters all being told this at some point in the day
Some additional questions for clarification/more details/etc from me:

Magic:
- I assume that as a demon we're barred from learning Light and Order magic, but what about the elements? Can we learn only two (for example, Fire and Air), with the other two being completely blocked, or is it just that you can't *use* two opposing elements in the same magic (ie, no combining Fire and Water to create some kind of steam spell), but otherwise learn all for just fine?

Technology:
- What kind of intermediate technologies weren't created? Printing Press? Mechanical Loom/Spindle? Steam Engine? Firearms? Gas Lamps? Balloons/Gliders?
- How do machinery and magic/enchantments interact with each other? Is it possible, for example, to have a steam engine that uses some kind of fire-enchantment as fuel rather than coal or wood? Spells specifically designed to disable machines?
- Are golems/automata a thing (perhaps by combining magic and technology)?
- Is the level of technology consistent through all realms?

The Realms:
- What are the realms like geographically? Not from their climate and whatever, but from their... hm.. how to put it... their rules? Do they work more akin to planets like earth, or are they more like, say infinite planes that literally go on forever, or islands with definite borders hovering in the sea of pure magic connecting all realms; that sort of thing.
- Does the Mortal realm have an equivalent to the Underdark (which could probably count as its own realm if it does)?
- How common/easy is it to cross from one Realm into another? If it varies from which Realm you start in and where you're going from there, could you give a guideline?

Population/Society:
- Are the Humanoid Demons a specific species, or more akin to a grouping of similar ones? And if so, do they also include Suc-/Incubi and similar species?
- What is included under the "Beast Races"? The more common humanoid fantasy-monsters such as (hob)goblins, trolls, kobolds, ogres, and so on?
- Does our population include Were-races? If not, which Realm do they fall under?
- Which species is generally considered the "dominant" one? Not necessarily in "which is the most powerful in a fight", but more in which is the most populous and common, thus forming the "norm" or "baseline" for demon society?
- How intermingled are the various races? Ie, do they normally stick together with their own people, forming separate cultures, cities, etc? Or do they intermingle, with mixed cities, clans, families, etc?

Economy:
- How are trade, travel and communication between Realms normally conducted? For example, are there portals in static locations, or spellcasters/items that create portals wherever desired?
- What are the individual realms' major imports/exports? With the Demon Realm I suspect food is imported, and things like metals exported?

Intelligence:
- How does Intelligence-gathering or covert operations between Realms work? Bribed informants and traitors, since I doubt demons would have an easy time disguising themselves as angels or skeletons, and vice-versa?
- How wide-spread are shapeshifters? Is it a learnable skill/magic, or limited to specific races? And what are the limitations?

Politics:
- Which clans/groups are likely support us, and which are likely to oppose us?
- What (basic) information (ie, name, personality, outlook on certain matters) can they give us on the heads of the more powerful/important clans/groups?
- Besides the Princess, High Priest, Duke and Warlord/General, what other important individuals are there in the government (for lack of a better term)? Ie, much like how the Duke handles Intelligence stuff and the General (probably) military matters, do we have someone respsonsible for finances and economics, or a court magician, or head diplomat, that sort of thing.

In time I'll probably have even more questions, but for the moment that's all I can think of.
Kelenas
Kelenas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:03 pm

Kelenas wrote:

Magic:
- I assume that as a demon we're barred from learning Light and Order magic, but what about the elements? Can we learn only two (for example, Fire and Air), with the other two being completely blocked, or is it just that you can't *use* two opposing elements in the same magic (ie, no combining Fire and Water to create some kind of steam spell), but otherwise learn all for just fine?
Not entirely... since you're part human you're just really bad at it...

Water too.

- What kind of intermediate technologies weren't created? Printing Press? Mechanical Loom/Spindle? Steam Engine? Firearms? Gas Lamps? Balloons/Gliders?
Printing press. Steam Engine. The others are made kinda pointless by magic.

- How do machinery and magic/enchantments interact with each other? Is it possible, for example, to have a steam engine that uses some kind of fire-enchantment as fuel rather than coal or wood? Spells specifically designed to disable machines?
They use fuel most of the time. And Chaos magic mucks with machines.

- Are golems/automata a thing (perhaps by combining magic and technology)?
An uncommon one.

- Is the level of technology consistent through all realms?
No.

- What are the realms like geographically? Not from their climate and whatever, but from their... hm.. how to put it... their rules? Do they work more akin to planets like earth, or are they more like, say infinite planes that literally go on forever, or islands with definite borders hovering in the sea of pure magic connecting all realms; that sort of thing.
Not fully charted.

- Does the Mortal realm have an equivalent to the Underdark (which could probably count as its own realm if it does)?
Kinda. Nothing so elaborate as the Underdark or DK underworld.

- How common/easy is it to cross from one Realm into another? If it varies from which Realm you start in and where you're going from there, could you give a guideline?
Natural portals just need walking through. Creating one is pretty hard... lucky natural ones appear with semi-regularity... and the outer realms can only connect to the mortal realm so its the crossroads

- Are the Humanoid Demons a specific species, or more akin to a grouping of similar ones? And if so, do they also include Suc-/Incubi and similar species?
They're a race of mixed breeds and human hybrids for the most part.

- What is included under the "Beast Races"? The more common humanoid fantasy-monsters such as (hob)goblins, trolls, kobolds, ogres, and so on?
Yes

- Does our population include Were-races? If not, which Realm do they fall under?
No. Spirit.

- Which species is generally considered the "dominant" one? Not necessarily in "which is the most powerful in a fight", but more in which is the most populous and common, thus forming the "norm" or "baseline" for demon society?
Depends on region. Near the capitol, humanoid.

- How intermingled are the various races? Ie, do they normally stick together with their own people, forming separate cultures, cities, etc? Or do they intermingle, with mixed cities, clans, families, etc?
Not very. Theres some admixture but they tend to stick to their own.

- How are trade, travel and communication between Realms normally conducted? For example, are there portals in static locations, or spellcasters/items that create portals wherever desired?
Generally through the longer standarding and more reliable natural portals.

- What are the individual realms' major imports/exports? With the Demon Realm I suspect food is imported, and things like metals exported?
General natural resources.

Trade between realms is somewhat uncommon due to the fact said exports normally have a "shadow" from thier own reality. And the underworld being a world of chaos and darkness tends to be somewhat nasty. Still, makes for some nasty magical weapons...

- How does Intelligence-gathering or covert operations between Realms work? Bribed informants and traitors, since I doubt demons would have an easy time disguising themselves as angels or skeletons, and vice-versa?
Basically.

- How wide-spread are shapeshifters? Is it a learnable skill/magic, or limited to specific races? And what are the limitations?
Somewhat. Some are naturlas while most good demons can hide their horns.

- Which clans/groups are likely support us, and which are likely to oppose us?
Vague question.

- What (basic) information (ie, name, personality, outlook on certain matters) can they give us on the heads of the more powerful/important clans/groups?
- Besides the Princess, High Priest, Duke and Warlord/General, what other important individuals are there in the government (for lack of a better term)? Ie, much like how the Duke handles Intelligence stuff and the General (probably) military matters, do we have someone respsonsible for finances and economics, or a court magician, or head diplomat, that sort of thing.
That shit sorry to say, I'm making up as I go along and find interesting images :p

In time I'll probably have even more questions, but for the moment that's all I can think of.
Joy.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelenas on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:42 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Joy.
Oh, don't be like that. Razz

In any case, I assume the breakfast is essentially one large Q&A session between me and the other three, generously sprinkled with awkwardness. What with me being very much a stranger and my concubines likely being unfamiliar with high-society etiquette, and all that.

To the High Priest:
"Thank you for answering my many questions. No doubt there is still much, much more for me to learn, but at least I no longer completely feel like I'm stumbling in the dark; only mostly. Now, I'm eager to learn more about my duties and my position, but from what I understand that's not really up to me, yet, so would you mind telling me what's next on my agenda for the day?"

To the Duke:
"Well, I'd like to say it was a pleasure, but that would be a blatant lie, since I found your constant jabs at myself or my concubines rather irritating. However, I hope that you learned what you needed to know about me, and I'm honestly looking forward to see what those wits and tongue of yours can do to our enemies. I'm sure it would be a spectacle to behold."

To the Princess:
"Princess... if our schedules permit, would you be willing to meet with me later today? It's nothing urgent as such, but there are some things I'd like to tell you, or talk about with you, and I would very much prefer to do so in private."

Also, once the breakfast is over, I'll talk with some of the servants, or my concubines/handmaidens to get in contact with the cook(s) that prepared our meal, and get them to prepare some salty snacks or foods (including fries, if necessary by explaining the concept/recipe to the chef/cook in question, first) and some sweet desserts, which I can then take with me when I go to meet the Princess.

I also want to talk with my Harem about their skills and duties, but that has some time until later, depending on how you want to handle that.
Kelenas
Kelenas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:32 pm

Rieverre wrote:Including stereotypical slew of fantasy religions?
Somewhat.

"Well, I don't know, it depends on whether or not you want to go looking for a new patron so soon," I start, perfectly deadpan and serious. Pause.
She goes totally white.

"ImFinethankyouverymuch!"

Grin.

"So no, not even the annoying ones. Save it for clear and present danger to the household. The others, you come to me about."
"Yes mlord!"

[quote]Shrug. "Fanatics, true believers, disposable dupes, constructs," I tick off on my fingers. And probably a number of other possibilities I'd missed. [quote]

"People without self-preservation insticts never really get to an appreciable level of talent."

"An assassin might have the luxury of choosing the time, place and conditions of an engagement, to a certain extent. Given your new responsibilities, though, I believe the time will come where you'll need to be more flexible than that. You'll learn," I tell her, calmly. "Mind, I don't intend to send you into heavy combat situations, but I do want you to be able to be capable of neutralizing a threat to myself or my entourage with as little risk as possible to my property. That includes you. Sweat in training to not bleed in combat. Bleed in training to not die in combat."
"Oh... um... I'm good with knives. Thrown knives. With poison."

"Did they run around like a herd of willful cats if left without supervision for too long? If so, then I'd say yes. Especially if you managed to get them to be productive."
"I wouldn't say productive as much as kept them from blowing themselves up too badly..."

Figures. Once more unto the breach.
Heh.

I give a pointed look, first to the Lamia, then the Arachne herself when I say the bit about her being responsible for the safety of my possessions in my absence. Yes, I'm being about as subtle as brick through the window, but I want to make sure the point is understood.
She gets you.

Events pertaining to my predecessor and his household. Possibly ones related to the Fire Dragon Clan as well. Otherwise, general recent history and state of the realm kind of thing.
Your predecessor was very very militant. The Fire Dragons didn't really support his aggressiveness but they didn't object.

"Is healing magic common enough that it doesn't rate a mention?" I ask.
"Among Lamia."

"I'm actually more interested in the other experience she's had," I offer, referring to her prior job. "Let's wait until we get back and see the quality of her report. If she's as good at that as I hope, then she will be extremely useful in the long run, with her talents properly fostered."
Okay.

"That sounds like a story and a half. Elaborate?"
"Spider Demons are naturally treacherous beings who eat their mates and sometimes their own young."

I instruct her to remind me that I wish to use of that talent of hers when we get back to the suites.
"Yes master."

What I have in mind is sending a very formal, very proper, very polite letter to Grand Princess Fire Dragon inviting her to visit and expressing interesting in learning more about her people, as well as making use of her counsel. And append a second letter, written by my own hand, saying exactly the same thing but using my own phrasing. I'm hoping to show that, yes, I can follow established forms, but value personal touches and connections as well.

... yes, I'm doing all that for the coffee. I have no other ulterior motives. At all. ^^
Consider it written and sent.

... mah fluffy ... bring back mah fluffy ...

... this calls for diplomacy!
"..."

Anyways, Breakfast. You're met by the Duke, the Princess, and the High Priest.

"Oh, matched set," the Duke says with a grin.

Ironforge wrote:"Well then thanks for agreeing to the post and the chance, as I can imagine how all this must gall you so."
"No, you really can't." she replies calmly.

"Oh I have no intention of doing that and every intention of learning as much and as quickly as I can about your realm and it's people as soon as possible. As I like how things are set up no more then you right now.
"Good intentions are of no intrinsic value. I will judge when I see the results."

Though I must ask that we will meet up later today or soon then to set up a schedule into fixing those issues and a chance to get to learn about who will working with for a long time to come, as I rather us can at least learn to stand each other in some kind of mutual respectful way. As the sooner we can fix those issues, the happier I think we can both be Royal Princess."
"Very well."

"Well if you don't mind me asking, when was the last pleasant surprise of a summoned king then?"
"My Great Grandfather, the 38th Demon Emperor,"

"Well are there any major religious faux pas I should be aware of then that might not be noticeable to someone without any knowledge on the religious customs of your lands and Great Clan leaders?"
"Demons are not Angels," he points out, "You will not find many god-botherers among us."

Honestly those clans tend to mostly mind their own business.
The Dragons are rather private.

The Oni are centered a goodly distance away.

The Lamia tend to be healers and bureaucrats. Low ranking but valued in the scheme of things.

"So would you say they are more like a satellite Great Clan then? Since while they hold power here, their main interests most likely lay outside our lands."
Whould be fair to say.

"Good to know, though how often do they usually go through Warlords?"
"Every thirty or so years. They're not immortal like demons... the current one has a good 15 years left before he grows too told."

Well that should help with my current plans then.
"In deed. But do not offend the blue oni queen."

"Good to know, as have low drama is always a plus in dealing with political powers."
They're ambitious but practical.

"Ok first off, while I think I understand the basic practice to true name giving as a lot like binding in a lesser scale here. An how that a equal trade or one that both parties can agree to most be met for it to be fair. An as The Duke pointed out it seems that a fair trade has already been reached for a life for a life.

I most ask what is that proper way of this here, as considering how I don't have either of your understand or knowledge here to this practice. It would be nice to know what are my options here first before I move forward. As I'm getting tried of all these blind choices I have been forced into making as of late and would like to avoid them further if I can."
"Traditionally you'd make a trade... normally grant a request in trade for her eternal service..."

]"Ok then, besides the Great Clans then. How many smaller clans do we have that either fall under them or are on there own?
OOC Glare.

Also with the rest of the Great clans, who of them currently has the the most power in the court and out of it?"
The humanoid demons.

Brian Boru wrote:"Amend to pray that the worst never happens?"
"Yes."

"Very well then, I'll be ready as quickly as I can."
"Yes sire..."

If I notice spider girl dribbling I mention, "Any chance we could get something for the Arachne right quick to take the edge off?  Rather not have her embarrassing herself you know."
SHe's handed something. Its like it vanished in a poof of smoke... she's looking a bit wild eyed.

Once I hear about that I nod, "Not a bad spread of skills there.  Not bad at all."
You have their thanks.

I glance at them, "You know, the four of have been rather uninquisitive about myself, I'm kind of surprised at that.  Especially considering we're going to be working with each other for a long while.  Any reason for that."

OOC:  Not asking that YOU make up questions just wondering why they haven't.
You're the demon emperor... not their place to ask.

Either way I eventually clean up, get dressed, and head down to breakfast, time to deal with the old man, Princess Justifiably Angry, and Duke need to be introduced to a sledgehammer to the face.  I DON'T voice these monikers.
Heh.

"Well, I see he's brought the menagerie with him."

Kelenas wrote:In any case, I assume the breakfast is essentially one large Q&A session between me and the other three, generously sprinkled with awkwardness. What with me being very much a stranger and my concubines likely being unfamiliar with high-society etiquette, and all that.
Basically.

To the High Priest:
"Thank you for answering my many questions. No doubt there is still much, much more for me to learn, but at least I no longer completely feel like I'm stumbling in the dark; only mostly. Now, I'm eager to learn more about my duties and my position, but from what I understand that's not really up to me, yet, so would you mind telling me what's next on my agenda for the day?"
"You're welcome... and I'd like you to decide for yourself what to do with the day."

To the Duke:
"Well, I'd like to say it was a pleasure, but that would be a blatant lie, since I found your constant jabs at myself or my concubines rather irritating. However, I hope that you learned what you needed to know about me, and I'm honestly looking forward to see what those wits and tongue of yours can do to our enemies. I'm sure it would be a spectacle to behold."
Actually he mentioned just as many if not more of the questions than the high priest. The man is VERY politically astute.

He laughs at you. "If you cannot grin and bare my presence, then believe me when I say your enemies will eat you alive. Quite possibly literally..." he glances to the Arachne who it seems has eaten her own weight in food... all while holding back sounds that were downright pronographic "If that one doesn't do it first..."

"Ugh... too much fooooood... it hurts so goooood..."

To the Princess:
"Princess... if our schedules permit, would you be willing to meet with me later today? It's nothing urgent as such, but there are some things I'd like to tell you, or talk about with you, and I would very much prefer to do so in private."
"Of course."

Also, once the breakfast is over, I'll talk with some of the servants, or my concubines/handmaidens to get in contact with the cook(s) that prepared our meal, and get them to prepare some salty snacks or foods (including fries, if necessary by explaining the concept/recipe to the chef/cook in question, first) and some sweet desserts, which I can then take with me when I go to meet the Princess.
Done...

I also want to talk with my Harem about their skills and duties, but that has some time until later, depending on how you want to handle that.
The Arachne isn't good for much right now...

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Psyckosama wrote:She goes totally white.

"ImFinethankyouverymuch!"
"Give it time. Time for me to trust your judgment, and for you to learn my fancies and preference."

"People without self-preservation insticts never really get to an appreciable level of talent."
"Quality over quantity. But quantity has a quality of its own."

"Oh... um... I'm good with knives. Thrown knives. With poison."
I stand up, and wade through the hotspring, coming close to the Arachne and stepping up so as to press against her front. One hand goes up to cup her face as I lean in to whisper in her ear.

"You want to be useful to me, don't you?"

Why ... yes, I'm fully willing to attempt and play on her motivations for my benefit. Why do you ask? ^^

"I wouldn't say productive as much as kept them from blowing themselves up too badly..."
"Interesting. Clerical work seems far more hazardous than what I'm used to, over here," I tell the Lamia. "Still, that's definitely a skill I intend to make use of. Hone it."

Your predecessor was very very militant. The Fire Dragons didn't really support his aggressiveness but they didn't object.
Any projects or undertakings other than building up armies. And how did he come to an end?

"Among Lamia."
"Natch. Useful."

"Spider Demons are naturally treacherous beings who eat their mates and sometimes their own young."[/quote]"Good to know ... what do you make of her reaction to the prospect of being dismissed?"

I'm trying not to assume too much about that.

Consider it written and sent.
The Grand Princess was ... reasonable. That's a valuable trait in an advisor. That, and he has an outside perspective on the Empire. Also coffee. Have I repeated that enough times? Probably. But still. Coffee.

Anyways, Breakfast. You're met by the Duke, the Princess, and the High Priest.

"Oh, matched set," the Duke says with a grin.
"A flower on each ... no, wait, that doesn't quite fit," I pause, deliberately, before smiling wryly. "A blade in each hand. Yes, that works better."

And then nod in greeting, as well as greeting the High Priest and the Princess.

... so, breakfast spread? Appropriately impressive and varied?[/quote]
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Psyckosama wrote:"Yes."
"Put to memory."

"Yes sire..."
Smile and move on.

SHe's handed something. Its like it vanished in a poof of smoke... she's looking a bit wild eyed.
I look at her slightly confused.  "Is she alright, what was that just now?  I thought it was supposed to take the edge off not HONE it!?"

You have their thanks.
"You're quite welcome my dears."

You're the demon emperor... not their place to ask.
I shrug, alright.

"Well, I see he's brought the menagerie with him."
"Good Morning Duke, I see your wit and tounge are in fine order already."

"Good Morning High Priest you look well."

"And Good Morning Princess, you look lovely though I do wish you'd smile, the grimace does not suit you."

I sit down and set to my breakfast.  I look to the three of them and ask, "So what has happened in the week I was out cold from drinking that liquid Pain you gave me on the throne?  And I would like to ask, could you have least warned me what was going to happen?  Not that I'm exactly complaining about the result,"  I strike my newly flattened stomach with my right to indicate what I was talking about.  "but the method...well let's just say they left much to be desired," and I shudder dramatically to emphasize my point.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Rieverre wrote:"Give it time. Time for me to trust your judgment, and for you to learn my fancies and preference."
That was the Arachne.

"Quality over quantity. But quantity has a quality of its own."
"Yes, sire."

I stand up, and wade through the hotspring, coming close to the Arachne and stepping up so as to press against her front. One hand goes up to cup her face as I lean in to whisper in her ear.

"You want to be useful to me, don't you?"
"Yes Master."

She's quaking with fear.

Why ... yes, I'm fully willing to attempt and play on her motivations for my benefit. Why do you ask? ^^
By that you mean terrify her?

"Interesting. Clerical work seems far more hazardous than what I'm used to, over here," I tell the Lamia. "Still, that's definitely a skill I intend to make use of. Hone it."
She nods. "Of course."

Any projects or undertakings other than building up armies. And how did he come to an end?
"Not really. And he was slain by a band of heroes."

"Good to know ... what do you make of her reaction to the prospect of being dismissed?"

I'm trying not to assume too much about that.
"Chances are she'll be eaten alive by her superiors, either for her failure or she made the attempt entirely with the idea that she'd die anyways so why not."

"Spider Demons are extremely cannibalistic. Their main sources of food are those foolish enough to wander into their lairs and their own kin."

The Grand Princess was ... reasonable. That's a valuable trait in an advisor. That, and he has an outside perspective on the Empire. Also coffee. Have I repeated that enough times? Probably. But still. Coffee.
Yes, coffee...

"A flower on each ... no, wait, that doesn't quite fit," I pause, deliberately, before smiling wryly. "A blade in each hand. Yes, that works better."

And then nod in greeting, as well as greeting the High Priest and the Princess.

... so, breakfast spread? Appropriately impressive and varied?
Yes. it's VERY big.

Do you order your concubines to be fed?

Brian Boru wrote:I look at her slightly confused.  "Is she alright, what was that just now?  I thought it was supposed to take the edge off not HONE it!?"
The Arachne is looking around a bit spaced out. "That was sooo good... more! Please master! Please! More!"

"Good Morning Duke, I see your wit and tounge are in fine order already."
"Interesting collection. Why you managed to do what few men have and fuck an Arachne without being on the menu."

"Good Morning High Priest you look well."
He nods. "Majesty."

"And Good Morning Princess, you look lovely though I do wish you'd smile, the grimace does not suit you."
Glower.

I sit down and set to my breakfast.  I look to the three of them and ask, "So what has happened in the week I was out cold from drinking that liquid Pain you gave me on the throne?  And I would like to ask, could you have least warned me what was going to happen?  Not that I'm exactly complaining about the result,"  I strike my newly flattened stomach with my right to indicate what I was talking about.  "but the method...well let's just say they left much to be desired," and I shudder dramatically to emphasize my point.
Unimpressed looks all around...

So, breakfast?

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironforge on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Psyckosama wrote:"No, you really can't." she replies calmly.
"You sure Royal Princess? As it must feel a lot like your entire world is being turned upside down because of the actions of some stranger you have never met. An how you then most worry about how the stranger would effect those you care for and weather or not they will bring ruin to all that. Not to mention weather they will end up getting you killed either for one reason or another.

But yeah, how could I understand that feeling at all right? As it's not like I've been ripped from all that I have known my entire life, have all that I shrived for made moot because someone else, lose all those I loved and cared and bought to a place against my will never to see them again. All so I can serve a group of strangers that in most cases would rather think of me and mine as something that they would be disgusted to find at the bottom of there shoes.

So tell me again Royal Princess, do you really think I can't understand your feelings at all here?" I return just as calmly.

"Good intentions are of no intrinsic value. I will judge when I see the results."
"That's fair."

"Demons are not Angels," he points out, "You will not find many god-botherers among us."
"Well thank the hells for small blessings then."

"Traditionally you'd make a trade... normally grant a request in trade for her eternal service..."
"So beside the trade, there is no other special ritual or pledge that needs to takes place then correct?"

OOC Glare.
OC: You could have just said to many to count here mate.

The humanoid demons.
"Well then who is there leader?

Or are they just directly under the Royal families control, since they always seem to be humanoid demons?"[/quote]
Ironforge
Ironforge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:26 pm

Psyckosama wrote:That was the Arachne.
Quite. And that was me hoping that eventually I won't need arguments this heavy handed.

"Yes Master."

She's quaking with fear.
I probably overdid that more the a little. But backpedaling right now would be equally bad, if not worse, so ...

"Combat evaluation. Training. I want you to become even more useful to me."

Then I lean in and kiss her, gently, and head back to my lounging spot.

By that you mean terrify her?
... maybe a little. Bad Demon Emperor. Bad.

"Not really. And he was slain by a band of heroes."
Huh. So that's a thing here. I was hoping it wasn't. Oh well. Any particulars known about said heroes?

"Chances are she'll be eaten alive by her superiors, either for her failure or she made the attempt entirely with the idea that she'd die anyways so why not."

"Spider Demons are extremely cannibalistic. Their main sources of food are those foolish enough to wander into their lairs and their own kin."
Such a cheerful thought. Definitely useful information, though, and a reason why she was so terrified.

Yes. it's VERY big.

Do you order your concubines to be fed?
The Arachne and Lamia are back in the Royal Wing, and I'd left instructions with the meido to have breakfast provided to them while I'm up here with the sisters a few posts back.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:29 am

Psyckosama wrote:The Arachne is looking around a bit spaced out. "That was sooo good... more! Please master! Please! More!"
"Alright, but first you need to promise me something first. Can you do that?"

"You have to promise to control yourself just a little. No one will take it and there is as much as you want, so just slow down and enjoy it. It makes it even better that way. Do you think you can do that?" I place my hand on her shoulder when I say this.

"Interesting collection. Why you managed to do what few men have and fuck an Arachne without being on the menu."
"Interesting achievement but not one, I hope posterity will use to record me."

He nods. "Majesty."
I nod back.

Glower.
Eh...talking to women, of any species, is not one of my strong suits.

Unimpressed looks all around...

So, breakfast?
Yes, something with meat in it, I enjoyed it before and I'll enjoy is NOW!

"Well...horrific failure of a joke aside, what HAS happened this last week?"

Once I get the answer from that about the summoned clans and their general make up, I then ask, "Are there any with a particular grudge against the monarchy for his policies are am I going to be tossed into a pit where the beasts are all roughly the same in size and ferocity."
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:56 am

Ironforge wrote:"You sure Royal Princess? As it must feel a lot like your entire world is being turned upside down because of the actions of some stranger you have never met. An how you then most worry about how the stranger would effect those you care for and weather or not they will bring ruin to all that. Not to mention weather they will end up getting you killed either for one reason or another.

But yeah, how could I understand that feeling at all right? As it's not like I've been ripped from all that I have known my entire life, have all that I shrived for made moot because someone else, lose all those I loved and cared and bought to a place against my will never to see them again. All so I can serve a group of strangers that in most cases would rather think of me and mine as something that they would be disgusted to find at the bottom of there shoes.

So tell me again Royal Princess, do you really think I can't understand your feelings at all here?" I return just as calmly.
"So you're upset that you have been removed from whatever form of literal or economic bondage that may or may not have been under a thin veneer of social acceptability then freed of your brief lifespan, and then placed in a position of near absolute power over millions after being granted a degree of magical power that in your previous life you very may well have described as 'unimaginable'.

Beat.

"Yes, I'm sure you understand exactly."

If he delivery was any dryer you'd be left a dessicated husk.

"That's fair."
"I believe so."

"Well thank the hells for small blessings then."
"Though there are some of the more zealous cults... they tend to be somewhat opposed to the crown."

"So beside the trade, there is no other special ritual or pledge that needs to takes place then correct?"  
"Yes. You swear to do something, and agree on a task that is sufficient, she gives you her name. Your oath will bind you to that action, and her true name will allow you to do as you wish with her body and spirit."

"It will not be as powerful as your control over us, master, as she's not granting you her total submission, but you'll in essence have her by the throat at all times."

"Well then who is there leader?

Or are they just directly under the Royal families control, since they always seem to be humanoid demons?"
Yes. It would be you, though functionally its the Royal Princess. They're internally factionalized but all answer directly to the royal family as a 'clan'

Rieverre wrote:I probably overdid that more the a little. But backpedaling right now would be equally bad, if not worse, so ...
You think? You're basically threatening to have her eaten alive through inaction.

"Combat evaluation. Training. I want you to become even more useful to me."

Then I lean in and kiss her, gently, and head back to my lounging spot.

"Yes master."

... maybe a little. Bad Demon Emperor. Bad.
Heh.

Huh. So that's a thing here. I was hoping it wasn't. Oh well. Any particulars known about said heroes?
OOC I'll get to that. Once I get the art for the party.

Such a cheerful thought. Definitely useful information, though, and a reason why she was so terrified.
"Understand that in that Demons are not like mortals. We can be directly sustained by the magical energy of the realm, but while it can keep our bodies functional it does nothing to sate the cravings for food. Spider Demons are a rather pitiful and isolationist breed who live in their pits and will only leave to murder and steal, either on the orders of their masters, or to get food, and in many cases this is often the same thing."

The Arachne and Lamia are back in the Royal Wing, and I'd left instructions with the meido to have breakfast provided to them while I'm up here with the sisters a few posts back.
A servant enters the room. It seems that there is a problem with your arachne. She keeps demanding more and more outrageous amounts of food... and really is consuming every bite. She's seems to have gone half mad with gluttony.

"Ah, I see she's discovered Room Service..." the Duke chirps.

The Princess looks at you and seems to be observing how you react closely.

Brian Boru wrote:"Alright, but first you need to promise me something first.  Can you do that?"

"You have to promise to control yourself just a little.  No one will take it and there is as much as you want, so just slow down and enjoy it.  It makes it even better that way.  Do you think you can do that?"  I place my hand on her shoulder when I say this.
"I'll try! I'll try!" She's FRANTIC!

"Interesting achievement but not one, I hope posterity will use to record me."
"I'm sre as long as you keep her fed she'll do whatever you say."

Eh...talking to women, of any species, is not one of my strong suits.
Contempt.

Yes, something with meat in it, I enjoyed it before and I'll enjoy is NOW!
OM NOM!...

Shit, the Arachne's control is slippling. Here consumping speed is rapidly rising and the sounds she's making are almost pornographic.

That and she looks like she was going to bite the Lamia's hand off when she tried to take something she was reaching for.

"Well...horrific failure of a joke aside, what HAS happened this last week?"
"The clans have been assembling. Little of note. Youwill find things run slowly in this realm"

Once I get the answer from that about the summoned clans and their general make up, I then ask, "Are there any with a particular grudge against the monarchy for his policies are am I going to be tossed into a pit where the beasts are all roughly the same in size and ferocity."
"At the moment the most hostile of the 'friendly' clans is the Oni clan. There were heavily at odds with the previous emperor's political decisions."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:33 am

Psyckosama wrote:You think? You're basically threatening to have her eaten alive through inaction.
ICly, I wasn't quite aware at that point, just that she was very eager to please.

OOC I'll get to that. Once I get the art for the party.
Ayup. If they aren't an immediate concern, this inquiry can sit in limbo for a bit.

"Understand that in that Demons are not like mortals. We can be directly sustained by the magical energy of the realm, but while it can keep our bodies functional it does nothing to sate the cravings for food. Spider Demons are a rather pitiful and isolationist breed who live in their pits and will only leave to murder and steal, either on the orders of their masters, or to get food, and in many cases this is often the same thing."
"That's seems oddly familiar," I muse, before shrugging. "I imagine it's not much of an existence, sustaining yourself on energy alone. Certainly doesn't seem like it'd be good for population growth rates."

A servant enters the room. It seems that there is a problem with your arachne. She keeps demanding more and more outrageous amounts of food... and really is consuming every bite. She's seems to have gone half mad with gluttony.

"Ah, I see she's discovered Room Service..." the Duke chirps.

The Princess looks at you and seems to be observing how you react closely.
I calmly request a writing implement and a piece of paper/parchment/what you will. Then, jot down - Didn't I give you something to do? - on it, fold it, and instruct that it be delivered with her next order ... which is to be replaced with a small salad. The servant should tell her who it's from and then inform me of the results.

Considering how heavy handed I was with her before, inadvertently or not, this will hopefully be enough. And if not ... well, better to find out now than at a later, more critical juncture.

I turn back to the table and shrug, simply saying "Rope."

"Now, as we've hopefully dispensed with this morning's entertainment, shall we break our fast?"

Because while I'm under no illusion that this is a social call ... that's no reason to be rude, especially not this early in the morning. For a given value of early and morning anyway.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:38 am

Psyckosama wrote:"I'll try! I'll try!" She's FRANTIC!
"Well that's all I can ask." I'm now a little freaked and ask one of the others what the hell is going on.

"I'm sre as long as you keep her fed she'll do whatever you say."
"Starting to see that."

Contempt.
Considering her situation...not all surprised.

OM NOM!...

Shit, the Arachne's control is slippling. Here consumping speed is rapidly rising and the sounds she's making are almost pornographic.

That and she looks like she was going to bite the Lamia's hand off when she tried to take something she was reaching for.
Shift Lamia away from Arachne and then try to remind Arachne about slow makes it taste better.

"The clans have been assembling. Little of note. Youwill find things run slowly in this realm"
"Alright, and how long do I have before I meet these people?"

"At the moment the most hostile of the 'friendly' clans is the Oni clan. There were heavily at odds with the previous emperor's political decisions."
"Uh huh, and who's going to be particularly pissed if I act conciliatory with the Oni, or more pissed than the others?"

Basically I keep at this until I got a good idea of who's hating who and what they're willing to compromise with each other on. Heck I ask for writing materials so I can right it down.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum