There is no Fire and Ice. There is only the Force.

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

There is no Fire and Ice. There is only the Force. - Page 9 Empty Re: There is no Fire and Ice. There is only the Force.

Post by Rieverre on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:30 am

Psyckosama wrote:Your talent for the understatement is outstanding...

At least it wasn't Tatooine.

She's going to demand sansa help her put a braid behind her ear as soon as you're done.

She almsot seems to delight in how much it will drive her mother nuts

... she should probably hold off on that until after her father's had a chance to talk to her mother about it. Seeing as she seems to be big on propriety, the coming years are likely to be more than a bit of a trial for her.

He seems a little put out and saddened by that. "Truly?"

I nod. "Unfortunately. To be fair, honor can be a complicated thing. Look at a person's reasons and circumstances before deciding whether he is honorable or not."

Arya thinks for a moment. "So don't be greedy and take it as it comes?"

"While always acting in a manner that does not compromise your honor," Jon half adds, half asks.

"It won't always be easy. In fact, few worthwhile things end up being easy. But you've got the gist of it, I believe."

He nods. "I understand."

"But what if you can stop both? Arya asks. "I mean Jedi are powerful, right?"

"I found it useful to ask myself three questions in such a situation. Can I stop this from happening? This simply deals with what I can do in a given situation, and how I can use what I have at my disposal to influence it, all other considerations aside. Should I stop it? There are times when the right thing to do is to stand back and let things follow through along their course. It's never an easy decision, and choosing not to act is a choice in and of itself. The final question ties into it and is perhaps the most important of the lot."

I pause meaningfully.

"And _then_ what?"

I let them mull over this for a few seconds.

"Using the example provided, if you could stop the two factions from bloodshed, would it simply start over again once you were gone, or once they were under new leadership? Would your solution address the underlying issue of the conflict or is it just a stopgap measure? Actions have consequences. When practical and not immediately necessary to, you know, not die horribly or not let uninvolved parties die horribly, you should be mindful of them and consider them in depth."

I believe the girl was simply stating that simply knowing what a Jedi is capable of would disincline people from ignoring their attempts to broker peace. I believe it was Jedi Master Te'Dii who once said softly and carry a lightsaber then you will go far...

Yes, but ... and I don't believe this is me saying this ... remember Ventress. Power was the only solution she knew, and even though she started with the intent to avenge her master and _did_ bring peace to Rattatak, it affected her profoundly. It took most of the Clone Wars and repeated betrayals for her to even get her head on straight enough.

True. Though he does not seem reckless in the slightest. He's a good boy, but troubled. He'll have a hard time letting go, but once he does I believe he will do well.

We'll take it one step at a time.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

There is no Fire and Ice. There is only the Force. - Page 9 Empty Re: There is no Fire and Ice. There is only the Force.

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:54 am

Rieverre wrote:At least it wasn't Tatooine.

You feel a great disturbance in the force... :p

... she should probably hold off on that until after her father's had a chance to talk to her mother about it. Seeing as she seems to be big on propriety, the coming years are likely to be more than a bit of a trial for her.

"Do I have to?"

You get the feeling she doesn't get along with her mother.

I nod. "Unfortunately. To be fair, honor can be a complicated thing. Look at a person's reasons and circumstances before deciding whether he is honorable or not."

He nods, satisfied by your answer. "I believe I understand."

"It won't always be easy. In fact, few worthwhile things end up being easy. But you've got the gist of it, I believe."

"Thank you for explaining," Jon replies.

"I found it useful to ask myself three questions in such a situation. Can I stop this from happening? This simply deals with what I can do in a given situation, and how I can use what I have at my disposal to influence it, all other considerations aside. Should I stop it? There are times when the right thing to do is to stand back and let things follow through along their course. It's never an easy decision, and choosing not to act is a choice in and of itself. The final question ties into it and is perhaps the most important of the lot."

I pause meaningfully.

"And _then_ what?"

I let them mull over this for a few seconds.

"Using the example provided, if you could stop the two factions from bloodshed, would it simply start over again once you were gone, or once they were under new leadership? Would your solution address the underlying issue of the conflict or is it just a stopgap measure? Actions have consequences. When practical and not immediately necessary to, you know, not die horribly or not let uninvolved parties die horribly, you should be mindful of them and consider them in depth."

Arya pauses for a moment and looks thoughtful. "But couldn't the threat of you just killing all the leaders get them to at least talk?"

"Arya, that's dishonorable!"

She pouts. "Better to kill some jerk lord and a couple really nasty peasants than have lots of innocent people die..."

Yes, but ... and I don't believe this is me saying this ... remember Ventress. Power was the only solution she knew, and even though she started with the intent to avenge her master and _did_ bring peace to Rattatak, it affected her profoundly. It took most of the Clone Wars and repeated betrayals for her to even get her head on straight enough.

Ventress never understood the 'speak softly' part. To her all power arose from the blade of a saber. In general she is an example of how the Dark Side can twist even the best intentions. As for the saying, it basically means that you should be polite, friendly, reasonable, approachable, but at the same time profoundly dangerous if crossed. It helps add weight to your words...

We'll take it one step at a time.

Indeed

So where you go from here?

Psyckosama
Admin

View user profile https://giantstompyrobots.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:47 am

Psyckosama wrote:You feel a great disturbance in the force... :p

As if an uncountable number of former padawans all cried out in despair.

"Do I have to?"

You get the feeling she doesn't get along with her mother.

"That or convince your father yourself. I wager he's aware you'd be sneaking out to try and learn regardless."

Arya pauses for a moment and looks thoughtful. "But couldn't the threat of you just killing all the leaders get them to at least talk?"

"Arya, that's dishonorable!"

She pouts. "Better to kill some jerk lord and a couple really nasty peasants than have lots of innocent people die..."

"Alright, say you've decapitated both sides of the conflict. What's to say the next ones in line will be any better. Eventually you'll find yourself with nobody left to kill, no leadership in place, and entire matter devolving into chaos. Too many reformers started off with good intentions and had plans that basically went something like this - one - acquire manpower, military strength and the hearts and minds of the people - two - outs current regime - three - a whole mess of question marks - four - everything is now sunshine and rainbows."

Ventress never understood the 'speak softly' part. To her all power arose from the blade of a saber. In general she is an example of how the Dark Side can twist even the best intentions. As for the saying, it basically means that you should be polite, friendly, reasonable, approachable, but at the same time profoundly dangerous if crossed. It helps add weight to your words...

Be polite, be efficient, have a plan to kill everyone you meet? I can work with that. ^^

So where you go from here?

First order of business, probably on the following morning, is running Jon (and possibly ninja!Arya) through the starter meditation stuff at the Godswood. I want to get my student(s) in touch with the Force first, then work from there. I'll let Ned show up or not at his own pace.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Brian Boru wrote:Interesting....

But first to get this poor sap who tried to drown his sorrows back to Castle Black.

Using a bit of levitation, enough to lighten him but not make him float, and thus easier to lug him, I drag his sorry ass back to Castle Black.  When I'm done at the wall and heading south, I plan to head back to mole town and track her down.  Talent like that needs to be nurtured...now.

You throw him over your shoulder like a sack of rice, using the force to calm his stomach (JEDI! HAX!) and drag him back.

"You're a strong one, you are..." one of the brothers comments...

And when he vomits as soon as you put him down. "And a bloody lucky one too..."

As for the girl, you head back as soon as you have the chance. She's dressed pretty much like the typical harlot. A very low cut top that doesn't cover her shoulders and lets you see her cleavage, a tight leather bodice that provides one hell of a push up effect, and a skirt slit on one side to show leg.

"g'evenin' m'lord," she says with a smile, "You like wot you see? If so I could be yours for a night for just a small spot of coin..."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:22 pm

Rieverre wrote:As if an uncountable number of former padawans all cried out in despair.

No... The SAND.

"That or convince your father yourself. I wager he's aware you'd be sneaking out to try and learn regardless."

"I guess I'll have to for you to teach me more..." she smiles, 'I'll talk to father!"

"Alright, say you've decapitated both sides of the conflict. What's to say the next ones in line will be any better. Eventually you'll find yourself with nobody left to kill, no leadership in place, and entire matter devolving into chaos. Too many reformers started off with good intentions and had plans that basically went something like this - one - acquire manpower, military strength and the hearts and minds of the people - two - outs current regime - three - a whole mess of question marks - four - everything is now sunshine and rainbows."

"So its our job to fill in the blank?"

Be polite, be efficient, have a plan to kill everyone you meet? I can work with that. ^^

I wouldn't put it exactly like that... I'd say more be ready to defend at the moment's notice... being ready to kill everyone you meet is a bit... dark. But basically yes.

First order of business, probably on the following morning, is running Jon (and possibly ninja!Arya) through the starter meditation stuff at the Godswood. I want to get my student(s) in touch with the Force first, then work from there. I'll let Ned show up or not at his own pace.

They both take to it quickly. Jon takes a bit of time, mainly because its hard for him to clear his doubts.

Arya though... good god, the girl's a prodigy. She basically achieved connection with the force almost as soon as you told her the bloody code.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GundamChief on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Psyckosama wrote:You're lead into the main hall where a healthy feast is prepared. You're brought to a redheaded hottie who could only be the MILF in the North herself, Catlyn Stark.

"Ned, my love, who is this?"

"I would like to introduce you to Jedi Master Alexander Skywalker. He's a member of an order of warriors from distant lands whose come to Westeros to help spread the mission of order and teach their special talents to those of high character."

She raises an eyebrow. "And what mission and what abilities would those be?"

He smiles. "Magic, Cat."

She frowns somewhat. "Ned, are you sure he's true..."

He nods "This... Force he uses is very real and..." he pauses, "I saw its power and felt its energy. It was something strange, but pure. He says his order fight for justice and peace. The realm could use more of both."

She looks at you with some suspicion and then relents with a nod. Then she turns to you and smiles. "While my husband as without a doubt welcomed you already, I would like to do so as well. I hope you find your stay at Winterfel comfortable...."

"Mother? Who's this?"

You see a young man who looks very much like his mother, maybe 12 at the most walk in with a slightly older boy who's entirely the image of Eddard. Cat glares at the elder and you feel a very real spike of hatred and resentment from the lovely woman.

The boys both shine in the force. The younger of them is strong, while the elder is very powerful indeed.

I blink at the boys and look at Eddard. Seriously...North men seem to be freakin Nords or something.

I allow him to introduce me since he is the head of the household, as is his place.
GundamChief
GundamChief

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:39 pm

Psyckosama wrote:No... The SAND.

Having to clean the Nubian ship to keep it all shiny?

"I guess I'll have to for you to teach me more..." she smiles, 'I'll talk to father!"

... at the very least it should be good practice for Ned ... in keeping his patience.

"So its our job to fill in the blank?"

"It's your job to have the courage to change the things you can, the serenity to accept those you cannot, and the wisdom to know the difference. Just remember the defend and protect part, it's pretty central," I grin.

I wouldn't put it exactly like that... I'd say more be ready to defend at the moment's notice... being ready to kill everyone you meet is a bit... dark. But basically yes.

I didn't mean I'm going to necessarily use them. It'll just be like a meditation.

They both take to it quickly. Jon takes a bit of time, mainly because its hard for him to clear his doubts.

Arya though... good god, the girl's a prodigy. She basically achieved connection with the force almost as soon as you told her the bloody code.

I think about having her help Jon along for all of a moment before dismissing the idea. It came too easily to her. Still, that's hilariously impressive.

Well, I tell Arya to meditate on - the shiny new things she's sensing should keep her distracted for long enough that I can give Jon some help instead.

Then I explain to both, much as I did to Ned, why it's important to keep the state of mind they're in now when touching the force and how the Dark Side can cloud your judgment in using it. Once they can maintain the connection in meditation, we can practice doing simple tasks like moving around and keeping the connection going, or handing off or throwing pebbles to one-another. Beginner level stuff so I know they can keep up the increased awareness of the world.

I want to give them strong basics, then figure out where to go from there.

Aaaaand yeah, I'll probably go talk to Ned about Arya. Including words such as 'would take more effort than would be productive or practical to keep her from sneaking out' and 'ridiculous practical aptitude for all that her connection doesn't appear to be as strong as Jon's'.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:05 pm

Brian Boru wrote:Interesting....

But first to get this poor sap who tried to drown his sorrows back to Castle Black.

Using a bit of levitation, enough to lighten him but not make him float, and thus easier to lug him, I drag his sorry ass back to Castle Black.

Using the force you manage to get him back without being burdened by the weight, and using a bit of the force to help keep him stable you don't even get vomited on... much to the shock and awe of the brothers.

"Bloody hell, man... how you carry 'Puker' all the way back to the castle without him pukin' on you once. Blessed by the gods you are..."

When I'm done at the wall and heading south, I plan to head back to mole town and track her down.  Talent like that needs to be nurtured...now.

You find her there dressed in a very low cut top with a bodice that presses on her tits so much they're almost popping out, and a slit skirt that goes all the way up to the hip.

She smiles at you but you can tell its a false smile. She's not a happy camper.

"Greetins m'lord," she says in a sweet voice, "If ye like wot ye see, I can be all yours fer a night fer only a couple coins..."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:30 pm

GundamChief wrote:I blink at the boys and look at Eddard. Seriously...North men seem to be freakin Nords or something.

Must be the mead... :p

I allow him to introduce me since he is the head of the household, as is his place.

"This is my son and heir, Robb, and my natural born son, Jon..."

BTW, Missed this.

https://giantstompyrobots.forumotion.com/t94p210-there-is-no-fire-and-ice-there-is-only-the-force#6379

Rieverre wrote:Having to clean the Nubian ship to keep it all shiny?

He lived on that planet for 18 years to watch over luke. And every day he wondered why he was there...

... at the very least it should be good practice for Ned ... in keeping his patience.

Heh. He's had plenty.

"It's your job to have the courage to change the things you can, the serenity to accept those you cannot, and the wisdom to know the difference. Just remember the defend and protect part, it's pretty central," I grin.

She pouts.

I didn't mean I'm going to necessarily use them. It'll just be like a meditation.

Still, remember... to protect and defend, never to attack.

I think about having her help Jon along for all of a moment before dismissing the idea. It came too easily to her. Still, that's hilariously impressive.

Jon still gets it reasonably fast, about as fast as Ned did which is impressive. The

Well, I tell Arya to meditate on - the shiny new things she's sensing should keep her distracted for long enough that I can give Jon some help instead.

By the time you get to rob shes almost fully submerged herself in the force and has this peaceful little smile on her face...

Then I explain to both, much as I did to Ned, why it's important to keep the state of mind they're in now when touching the force and how the Dark Side can cloud your judgment in using it. Once they can maintain the connection in meditation, we can practice doing simple tasks like moving around and keeping the connection going, or handing off or throwing pebbles to one-another. Beginner level stuff so I know they can keep up the increased awareness of the world.

They get it. Though here, not much of an issue. It's like taking a bath in the light side.

I want to give them strong basics, then figure out where to go from there.

Handing off? As in TK lessons?

Aaaaand yeah, I'll probably go talk to Ned about Arya. Including words such as 'would take more effort than would be productive or practical to keep her from sneaking out' and 'ridiculous practical aptitude for all that her connection doesn't appear to be as strong as Jon's'.

He sighs. He suspected as much when she didn't show up for her lessons with the Septa.

He'll talk to Cat.

And 20 minutes later you see Arya drag in a maid with a braid already behind her left ear. "I need you to tell her how Jedi robes are made!"

You get the feeling that given the choice of "Feudal princess to be auctioned off" or "Kickass Magic Warrior"... well... the choice is obvious. :p

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Psyckosama wrote:He lived on that planet for 18 years to watch over luke. And every day he wondered why he was there...

Hey, at least he never ran into old Czerka projects that unearthed ancient cybernetic zombification tech run by an imprisoned crazed Rakatan.

Still, remember... to protect and defend, never to attack.

I always viewed that as being an extension of the whole 'strike without aggression' bit.

And just to needle Head Obi-wan ... it's still defense ... it's just very proactive defense.

By the time you get to rob shes almost fully submerged herself in the force and has this peaceful little smile on her face...

Huh. Well, good work. She's better at this inner peace thing than I am. What's Jon's reaction when he finally gets there?

They get it. Though here, not much of an issue. It's like taking a bath in the light side.

We'll do some practice outside of the Godswood later, though still away from any larger concentrations of people. I'm not really ready to do what Surik did to her Mandalorian and throw them into the deep end of touching the living force inside a bustling metropolis ... or even a small town.

Handing off? As in TK lessons?

No, as it just moving around and handing each other things while maintaining that state of mind. If they figure some TK out through that, that's fine, but it's not the point. The point is staying in tune with the Force while performing normal everyday actions. If they do well with that we can move on to some 'light jogging'. Granted, this isn't Dagobah, but there should be stuff around to make a path less than ideal. It should illustrate nicely what a Force User in touch with the world can easily traverse.

If they figure out telekinesis, I might run them through pushing-hands exercises at the end of that. You know, like Tai-chi, only with superpowers. ^^

He sighs. He suspected as much when she didn't show up for her lessons with the Septa.

He'll talk to Cat.

And 20 minutes later you see Arya drag in a maid with a braid already behind her left ear. "I need you to tell her how Jedi robes are made!"

You get the feeling that given the choice of "Feudal princess to be auctioned off" or "Kickass Magic Warrior"... well... the choice is obvious. :p

I sigh and play along, letting the maid inspect the set I'm wearing. It's more or less unisex barring proper dimensions, really. Freedom of movement emphasized.

I do mention that I eventually plan to add a breastplate and maybe some greaves and bracers. One, because it would mark me out as someone to not mess with without me having to draw my sword every time. Two, because body armor is just useful. And three, because it would be nifty.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Rieverre wrote:Hey, at least he never ran into old Czerka projects that unearthed ancient cybernetic zombification tech run by an imprisoned crazed Rakatan.

Awkward Pause...

*cough*

I always viewed that as being an extension of the whole 'strike without aggression' bit.

Far enough.

And just to needle Head Obi-wan ... it's still defense ... it's just very proactive defense.

*Sigh* "The line between aggression and pro-activity can be thin.

Huh. Well, good work. She's better at this inner peace thing than I am. What's Jon's reaction when he finally gets there?

He looks younger. Like a massive weight is off his shoulders.

We'll do some practice outside of the Godswood later, though still away from any larger concentrations of people. I'm not really ready to do what Surik did to her Mandalorian and throw them into the deep end of touching the living force inside a bustling metropolis ... or even a small town.

Probably for the best.

No, as it just moving around and handing each other things while maintaining that state of mind. If they figure some TK out through that, that's fine, but it's not the point. The point is staying in tune with the Force while performing normal everyday actions. If they do well with that we can move on to some 'light jogging'. Granted, this isn't Dagobah, but there should be stuff around to make a path less than ideal. It should illustrate nicely what a Force User in touch with the world can easily traverse.

Arya gets it quickly and you get the feeling she's going to be spending most of her lessons with the Septa meditating and simply smiling and nodded while neck deep in the force.

Jon takes longer and will need more lessons to get it.

If they figure out telekinesis, I might run them through pushing-hands exercises at the end of that. You know, like Tai-chi, only with superpowers. ^^

Okay. Thankfully they don't get to that point, though you do find Arya glaring at a rock. Wink

I sigh and play along, letting the maid inspect the set I'm wearing. It's more or less unisex barring proper dimensions, really. Freedom of movement emphasized.

You have a change of clothes thankfully... and she'll make you more as well.

Though she does ask about the symbol on one or two pieces.

Symbol of the Jedi Order as you know. Though traditionally we don't wear it so freely, but it must be an adaptation to the environment. I don't exactly approve but I will accept.

Also, would it be appropriate to put the sign of house stark on the robes?

Traditionally, personal signals If worn it shouldn't be on the robes themselves. One of the reasons for the robes is to serve as a symbol of the humble role of the Jedi. Putting noble symbols on them directly is somewhat contrary.

I do mention that I eventually plan to add a breastplate and maybe some greaves and bracers. One, because it would mark me out as someone to not mess with without me having to draw my sword every time. Two, because body armor is just useful. And three, because it would be nifty.

She'll make you an adapted set of robes if you so wish...

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:23 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Awkward Pause...

*cough*

... well ... at least there were no Rakghouls ...?

*Sigh* "The line between aggression and pro-activity can be thin.

I'm not going to go out of my way to assassinate people as a first resort you know.

He looks younger. Like a massive weight is off his shoulders.

That seems to be a trend in the making. Once he gets it I congratulate them both on taking their first steps into a larger world. Yes, that quote is never getting old.

Arya gets it quickly and you get the feeling she's going to be spending most of her lessons with the Septa meditating and simply smiling and nodded while neck deep in the force.

As long as she retains the information, I see no problem with this. As long as she comes and lets me know if and when she figures out something new to her.

Jon takes longer and will need more lessons to get it.

I don't have anything else to do with my time. I'll pull Arya into them just to let her see how someone without her knack for things gets used to it. Maybe she can offer some insights too - it's an off chance, but hey, maybe.

Okay. Thankfully they don't get to that point, though you do find Arya glaring at a rock. Wink

"You're trying too hard. Or thinking about it too hard. Possibly both." I get the feeling she'd figure it out if I gave her a few more hints, but I don't want to make it too easy on her. If you figure this kind of thing out yourself, it's usually for the better.

You have a change of clothes thankfully... and she'll make you more as well.

Though she does ask about the symbol on one or two pieces.

Symbol of the Jedi Order as you know. Though traditionally we don't wear it so freely, but it must be an adaptation to the environment. I don't exactly approve but I will accept.

I tell them it's the symbol the Order uses. My instructions are to just put one on the outer robe, over the heart. I'm half tempted to have it put on my back like a mon, but cooler heads prevail and I nix that thought before I can voice it. Just make it nice and understated. Maybe a thicker fabric, but matching the coloration of the rest.

Also, would it be appropriate to put the sign of house stark on the robes?

Traditionally, personal signals If worn it shouldn't be on the robes themselves. One of the reasons for the robes is to serve as a symbol of the humble role of the Jedi. Putting noble symbols on them directly is somewhat contrary.

I describe what is effectively a haori to be worn over the basic robes, for if they need to represent their House. It's not really appropriate to wear it on the basic robes themselves.

Also, symbolism! Having it on a separate garment would mean that you can be one without being the other.

She'll make you an adapted set of robes if you so wish...

After I speak with a blacksmith about it anyway. I'm sure Ned can recommend me one. Still, I make sure to thank her for the offer. She's trying pretty hard to do good work here.

Does Ned show up for morning meditation the next day?
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Rieverre wrote:... well ... at least there were no Rakghouls ...?

"..."

I'm not going to go out of my way to assassinate people as a first resort you know.

"I'm not sure with you sometimes..."

That seems to be a trend in the making.

Starks fret. Its in the blood. Noone can "dower" like a stark.

Once he gets it I congratulate them both on taking their first steps into a larger world. Yes, that quote is never getting old.

Jon smiles. Arya gets this wide grin that borders on manic.

As long as she retains the information, I see no problem with this. As long as she comes and lets me know if and when she figures out something new to her.

"Got it!"

I don't have anything else to do with my time. I'll pull Arya into them just to let her see how someone without her knack for things gets used to it. Maybe she can offer some insights too - it's an off chance, but hey, maybe.

She just kinda... gets it.

"You're trying too hard. Or thinking about it too hard. Possibly both." I get the feeling she'd figure it out if I gave her a few more hints, but I don't want to make it too easy on her. If you figure this kind of thing out yourself, it's usually for the better.

She closes her eyes and just takes a deep breath and... "Ugh. Heavy..."

I tell them it's the symbol the Order uses. My instructions are to just put one on the outer robe, over the heart. I'm half tempted to have it put on my back like a mon, but cooler heads prevail and I nix that thought before I can voice it. Just make it nice and understated. Maybe a thicker fabric, but matching the coloration of the rest.

She'll embroider it on the breast in the same color as the fabric.

Also, would it be appropriate to put the sign of house stark on the robes?I describe what is effectively a haori to be worn over the basic robes, for if they need to represent their House. It's not really appropriate to wear it on the basic robes themselves.

Over the basic robes, under the outer robe?

Also, symbolism! Having it on a separate garment would mean that you can be one without being the other.

Very nice. It'll be grey with a silver wolf's breast...

After I speak with a blacksmith about it anyway. I'm sure Ned can recommend me one. Still, I make sure to thank her for the offer. She's trying pretty hard to do good work here.

You have access to the castle blacksmith, who is mind you probably one of the finest smiths in all of westeros.

Does Ned show up for morning meditation the next day?

Of course.

And Cat seems rather... angry during dinner.

The reason is Arya who walks in in Jedi robes with a braid looking oh so pleased with herself. Though also oddly at peace.

Yep. Little scamp is in a half meditative state.

"Arya," Sansa asks, "Why are you dressed like that?"

"I'm a Jedi Padawan now," she says proudly. "Father said it was alright and Master Alex has stated training me."

She frowns. "It's unlady like."

"No, it's not," Arya defends. "You don't understand. It's like... its like living your life in the dark and finally opening your eyes!" she smiles. "You should come down and just meditate with us tomorrow!"

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:38 pm

Psyckosama wrote:Using the force you manage to get him back without being burdened by the weight, and using a bit of the force to help keep him stable you don't even get vomited on... much to the shock and awe of the brothers.

"Bloody hell, man... how you carry 'Puker' all the way back to the castle without him pukin' on you once. Blessed by the gods you are..."

I smile, "All in how you carry them."

You find her there dressed in a very low cut top with a bodice that presses on her tits so much they're almost popping out, and a slit skirt that goes all the way up to the hip.

Sexy......got a reference picture? Cool Twisted Evil

She smiles at you but you can tell its a false smile. She's not a happy camper.

Not so sexy. Sympathetic smile ready.

"Greetins m'lord," she says in a sweet voice, "If ye like wot ye see, I can be all yours fer a night fer only a couple coins..."

I smile and say that I do indeed like what I see but not how she thinks and I ask if I could speak with her for a few moments. I deal with her boss if he complains.

If I can do that then I ask her. "Have you ever had...feelings...notions. Predicted something happening before it actually happens. Dreams anything of the sort? Has something ever happened when you felt something strongly or truly wished it to happen?"

If she says yes and asks why I try and do something small force related, enough that she should be able to feel it. "Because you have a gift, the same gift as I. And I wish to nurture it."

To prevent a hoopla I'll try and make the two of us unnoticeable if possible, vauge to the others' sense if not.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:07 pm

Psyckosama wrote:"I'm not sure with you sometimes..."

I haven't started any rescue missions by ramming a speeder loaded up with explosives into the habitat wall yet, so I think we're safe for now.

She closes her eyes and just takes a deep breath and... "Ugh. Heavy..."

"And yet the Force runs through both us and it. Connects us. Just feel that connection at first. You'll figure out what you're doing wrong from there."

Over the basic robes, under the outer robe?

Or to be worn instead of the outer robe. Probably more presentable for things like official ceremonies.

You have access to the castle blacksmith, who is mind you probably one of the finest smiths in all of westeros.

I'll go speak with him and show him what he has to work with. I'm just looking for a cuirass with possibly some discrete shoulder plates and a bit of chain to protect the armpits. Greaves and bracers should be easy enough. Functional rather than fancy.

Of course.

And Cat seems rather... angry during dinner.

The reason is Arya who walks in in Jedi robes with a braid looking oh so pleased with herself. Though also oddly at peace.

Yep. Little scamp is in a half meditative state.

"Arya," Sansa asks, "Why are you dressed like that?"

"I'm a Jedi Padawan now," she says proudly. "Father said it was alright and Master Connacht has stated training me."

Fixed the name for you ^^

She frowns. "It's unlady like."

"No, it's not," Arya defends. "You don't understand. It's like... its like living your life in the dark and finally opening your eyes!" she smiles. "You should come down and just meditate with us tomorrow!"

"Arya, I understand you're enthusiastic about things, but you're coming on just a touch strong. Not really making my attempt at convincing people I'm not leading a cult of some kind any easier here," I say, amused but mostly serious. Then I turn to Sansa. "And I was once informed that being 'ladylike' is less a matter of what you wear and more a matter of the grace and poise one carries herself with."

The reactions of the rest of the table must be equally interesting.

I'm really tempted to have a Disney moment the next time Sansa's pretending not to watch. You know, reach out and use Animal Friendship to commune with my adorable little forest friends.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:15 pm

Rieverre wrote:I haven't started any rescue missions by ramming a speeder loaded up with explosives into the habitat wall yet, so I think we're safe for now.

"I... don't even want to know."

"And yet the Force runs through both us and it. Connects us. Just feel that connection at first. You'll figure out what you're doing wrong from there."

She pouts. Obtuse answers suck.

Or to be worn instead of the outer robe. Probably more presentable for things like official ceremonies.

She nods and gets to it.

I'll go speak with him and show him what he has to work with. I'm just looking for a cuirass with possibly some discrete shoulder plates and a bit of chain to protect the armpits. Greaves and bracers should be easy enough. Functional rather than fancy.

Would you like me to help you draw up a general outline of the body armor used during the clone wars. It would probably translate reasonably well

Fixed the name for you ^^

Mix up between you and chief.

"Arya, I understand you're enthusiastic about things, but you're coming on just a touch strong. Not really making my attempt at convincing people I'm not leading a cult of some kind any easier here," I say, amused but mostly serious. Then I turn to Sansa. "And I was once informed that being 'ladylike' is less a matter of what you wear and more a matter of the grace and poise one carries herself with."

"It's not lady like to go around fighting with swords..."

The reactions of the rest of the table must be equally interesting.

Ned sighs.

Bran grins. "Can you do any tricks yet?"

"Trying to learn how to float a rock."

Robb and his brother seem to be talking.

I'm really tempted to have a Disney moment the next time Sansa's pretending not to watch. You know, reach out and use Animal Friendship to commune with my adorable little forest friends.

Would be amusing. But be careful, small cuddly animals make small cuddly poodoos.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Psyckosama wrote:"I... don't even want to know."[/i]

Probably wise.

She pouts. Obtuse answers suck.

"Part of the fun of being a Master is giving those to your students to figure out, much like your own teacher gave you when you were learning."

Her problem seems to be more conceptual than anything else. Doing it the Sith way would have you exert force. Doing it the Jedi way would be working with the assumption that you and the rock are connected anyway, and that lifting it is akin to lifting your own arm.

Would you like me to help you draw up a general outline of the body armor used during the clone wars. It would probably translate reasonably well

That would be useful, yes. It would help the blacksmith puzzle out what I meant at any rate.

Mix up between you and chief.

I figured.

"It's not lady like to go around fighting with swords..."

"Oh, I don't know. The Order has never barred women, and I certainly never would have dared to consider any of my fellow Knights and Masters who happened to be female to be anything less than ladies."

Butter would not melt, I'm so innocent.

Ned sighs.

Bran grins. "Can you do any tricks yet?"

"Trying to learn how to float a rock."

Robb and his brother seem to be talking.

Time to play the inscrutable master again. And shamelessly steal quotes.

"Arya," I say in an aside, quietly. "Do or do not, there is no try."

Also, it's nice to see Jon getting along with most of his family.

Would be amusing. But be careful, small cuddly animals make small cuddly poodoos.

Animal Friendship is still awesome tho. In a number of ways, not limited strictly to appearing cute ... or making fast friends with the Rancor who someone meant to have eat you.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:23 am

Brian Boru wrote:I smile, "All in how you carry them."

They look at eachother and shurg.

Sexy......got a reference picture? Cool  Twisted Evil

Sadly no.

Not so sexy.  Sympathetic smile ready.

She blinks.

I smile and say that I do indeed like what I see but not how she thinks and I ask if I could speak with her for a few moments.  I deal with her boss if he complains.

"Um, alright. We ain't exactly bustlin' with customers."

If I can do that then I ask her.  "Have you ever had...feelings...notions.  Predicted something happening before it actually happens.  Dreams anything of the sort?  Has something ever happened when you felt something strongly or truly wished it to happen?"

She blinks. "What... what makes you... How did you know that?"

If she says yes and asks why I try and do something small force related, enough that she should be able to feel it.  "Because you have a gift, the same gift as I.  And I wish to nurture it."

To prevent a hoopla I'll try and make the two of us unnoticeable if possible, vauge to the others' sense if not.

She blinks then scowls. "It you think some charmin' words are going to get you a free run, you go another thing coming...

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru on Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:40 am

Psyckosama wrote:They look at eachother and shurg.

Best All Knowing Smug smile.

She blinks.

Probably not used to that is she?

"Um, alright. We ain't exactly bustlin' with customers."

"Better safe than sorry."

She blinks. "What... what makes you... How did you know that?"

"Because the same thing happened to me when I was young."

She blinks then scowls. "It you think some charmin' words are going to get you a free run, you go another thing coming...

I shake my head, "No lass that's not what I meant. I mean to train your gift. Make you something more than what you are now. That gift you have is a powerful Force, but it needs to be guided else it could outright kill you...or worse. To put it bluntly, I would like to take you on as my apprentice and teach you all that I know. You have my word that I my intentions are honorable."

If she's still on the fence I could ask her if she would step outside and I could show her what I can do. Lift a boulder or something, though I make sure to keep it out of sight if possible. "That, my dear....I haven't even gotten your name have I? Well that my dear, is what I want to teach you how to do. You're the first I've met in this land with the potential to learn."
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:54 am

Brian Boru wrote:Probably not used to that is she?

She works on her back in a brothel...

"Better safe than sorry."

She shrugs.

I shake my head, "No lass that's not what I meant.  I mean to train your gift.  Make you something more than what you are now.  That gift you have is a powerful Force, but it needs to be guided else it could outright kill you...or worse.  To put it bluntly, I would like to take you on as my apprentice and teach you all that I know.  You have my word that I my intentions are honorable."

If she's still on the fence I could ask her if she would step outside and I could show her what I can do.  Lift a boulder or something, though I make sure to keep it out of sight if possible.  "That, my dear....I haven't even gotten your name have I?  Well that my dear, is what I want to teach you how to do.  You're the first I've met in this land with the potential to learn."

What you end up doing is floating something small that only she can see....

Her eyes go wide... then roll up in to the back of her head and she faints dead away from the shock.

An angry old woman who looks like she was pretty... once... long ago... storms up looking furious. "Now what in the fucking hell do you tihnk you're doing to my girls?!"

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:59 am

Rieverre wrote:"Part of the fun of being a Master is giving those to your students to figure out, much like your own teacher gave you when you were learning."

She gives you the stink eye.

Her problem seems to be more conceptual than anything else. Doing it the Sith way would have you exert force. Doing it the Jedi way would be working with the assumption that you and the rock are connected anyway, and that lifting it is akin to lifting your own arm.

Coach her a bit...

That would be useful, yes. It would help the blacksmith puzzle out what I meant at any rate.

He draws it out, which has the blacksmith looking impressed. It's an interesting design. It'll take some time to make.

What he basically outlined is basically a technologically simplied version of phase 2 Clone armor in structure to be worn over a leather suit (allows better agility than chain) that is covered with white laquer paint to protect it from the elements with the Jedi symbol on one shoulder pad. It's a little complicated compared to some local armor, but not too much so as its also lighter.

"Oh, I don't know. The Order has never barred women, and I certainly never would have dared to consider any of my fellow Knights and Masters who happened to be female to be anything less than ladies."

Butter would not melt, I'm so innocent.

She gives you a look.

It might be better to approach it from a different angle... maybe find out what is considered part of the 'feminine ideal' in this area. Might be worth your time to talk to the 'Septa'.

Time to play the inscrutable master again. And shamelessly steal quotes.

"Arya," I say in an aside, quietly. "Do or do not, there is no try."

She looks over and gives you a look. "I'd do it if my master told me how."

Also, it's nice to see Jon getting along with most of his family.

Cat frowns. She looks annoyed by all this.

You're probably going to have to find a way to sell her on if it you want a peaceful castle.

Animal Friendship is still awesome tho. In a number of ways, not limited strictly to appearing cute ... or making fast friends with the Rancor who someone meant to have eat you.

The more intelligent the beast the harder it is to use. Rancor are very difficult because they are almost sapient.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:40 am

Psyckosama wrote:Coach her a bit...

I demonstrate and let her see what it feels like for someone else to do it, then explain her stumbling block may be because she's trying to use 'awesome magic power' where doing this with the Force should feel ... natural, for lack of a better word. Like lifting your own arm. Sometimes it's easier to learn with gestures too. Our body is how we interact with the world, so you can sometimes get better results reinforcing what you want to make happen with that.

"Like lifting something up," I lift up my hand, palm up, and lift the rock. "Pushing something away," extend my hand and push the rock away. "Or reaching for something," extend my hand again, this time in a motion as if I were going to reach out and pluck it up to pull it in.

Then I toss it back to the ground.

He draws it out, which has the blacksmith looking impressed. It's an interesting design. It'll take some time to make.

What he basically outlined is basically a technologically simplied version of phase 2 Clone armor in structure to be worn over a leather suit (allows better agility than chain) that is covered with white laquer paint to protect it from the elements with the Jedi symbol on one shoulder pad. It's a little complicated compared to some local armor, but not too much so as its also lighter.

Lacking proper Beskar'gam, this is likely the next best thing. ^^

He can take his time. These things should be done properly after all.

She gives you a look.

It might be better to approach it from a different angle... maybe find out what is considered part of the 'feminine ideal' in this area. Might be worth your time to talk to the 'Septa'.

A Master makes such sacrifices for the good of his students. I'm half amazed the local religious authority figure hasn't sought this most recent disturbance to her orderly worldview out yet, to be honest.

Also, Arya might be a better source of knowledge on the topic, seeing as she's been trying to keep herself from that path enough that she should know what it entails.

Cat frowns. She looks annoyed by all this.

You're probably going to have to find a way to sell her on if it you want a peaceful castle.

Dammit Jim, I'm a Jedi battlemaster, not a relationship counselor.

Anyway, I'm already doing something. Ned's going to notice - and I mean really notice, what with his growing connection to the Force - and should ideally be the one to have more of a talk with her.

Well, that or Ceiling!Arya is going to be disappointed by such treatment of her big brother and take matters into her own hands, which might be horrible or hilarious depending on the outcome.

For now, how are those arrangements for a training hall going? Given the style they're familiar with something like a fencing salle would be good.

The more intelligent the beast the harder it is to use. Rancor are very difficult because they are almost sapient.

It's appropriately awesome when you do manage tho.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:08 am

Rieverre wrote:I demonstrate and let her see what it feels like for someone else to do it, then explain her stumbling block may be because she's trying to use 'awesome magic power' where doing this with the Force should feel ... natural, for lack of a better word. Like lifting your own arm. Sometimes it's easier to learn with gestures too. Our body is how we interact with the world, so you can sometimes get better results reinforcing what you want to make happen with that.

"Like lifting something up," I lift up my hand, palm up, and lift the rock. "Pushing something away," extend my hand and push the rock away. "Or reaching for something," extend my hand again, this time in a motion as if I were going to reach out and pluck it up to pull it in.

Then I toss it back to the ground.

She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes before submerging herself in the force.

Seriously, the girl is scary good at that already... though a lot of it seems to be the tree.

She closes her eyes, raises her arm, and the stone slowly starts to rise. Then she looks out and gasps. And the rock falls. Seems the shock of "Holy shit I'm doing it" broke her concentration.

Lacking proper Beskar'gam, this is likely the next best thing. ^^

He can take his time. These things should be done properly after all.

You never did look in that bundle did you...

A Master makes such sacrifices for the good of his students. I'm half amazed the local religious authority figure hasn't sought this most recent disturbance to her orderly worldview out yet, to be honest.

She's not an authority. Just a tutor to the kids at Cat's insistence, tolerated by Ned.

Also, Arya might be a better source of knowledge on the topic, seeing as she's been trying to keep herself from that path enough that she should know what it entails.

You ask? If so, what questions?

Dammit Jim, I'm a Jedi battlemaster, not a relationship counselor.

You're a Jedi. Of course you're a relationship counselor.

Anyway, I'm already doing something. Ned's going to notice - and I mean really notice, what with his growing connection to the Force - and should ideally be the one to have more of a talk with her.

Look at it from her POV. You show up yesterday, her husband is now taking lessons from you, her daughter has become your freaky foreign squire and is acting almost like a religious convert, and you're teaching the evil bastard who she just knows will try and steal her son's birthright (because bastards are evil like that) magical powers.

Well, that or Ceiling!Arya is going to be disappointed by such treatment of her big brother and take matters into her own hands, which might be horrible or hilarious depending on the outcome.

Such is the path of the Dark Side

For now, how are those arrangements for a training hall going? Given the style they're familiar with something like a fencing salle would be good.

Winterfell is really large. They have room. You might want to look into founding a proper Praxeum in the future, but for the moment you're just getting started.

It's appropriately awesome when you do manage tho.

Most are tamed from youth...

So what now?

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:40 am

Psyckosama wrote:She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes before submerging herself in the force.

Seriously, the girl is scary good at that already... though a lot of it seems to be the tree.

She closes her eyes, raises her arm, and the stone slowly starts to rise. Then she looks out and gasps. And the rock falls. Seems the shock of "Holy shit I'm doing it" broke her concentration.

"Keep working on your concentration. Surprise and disbelief are fine in training, but being able to deal with them is what'll pay off in the long run."

You never did look in that bundle did you...

Oh come on, I would have done an inventory check at some point during the travel montage. I just assume these things go without saying.

She's not an authority. Just a tutor to the kids at Cat's insistence, tolerated by Ned.

Might as well give her the time to come looking.

You ask? If so, what questions?

What exactly those 'ladylike ideals' she's trying to avoid so adroitly are.

You're a Jedi. Of course you're a relationship counselor.

Because that mix has worked out so well in the past ^^

Look at it from her POV. You show up yesterday, her husband is now taking lessons from you, her daughter has become your freaky foreign squire and is acting almost like a religious convert, and you're teaching the evil bastard who she just knows will try and steal her son's birthright (because bastards are evil like that) magical powers.

Fair point. Things have been escalating pretty quickly. By that same token, it's only been a day or two. I'll wait and see if the situation improves before intervening. Trying to fix everything nownownow is more than likely going to mess things up further.

Such is the path of the Dark Side

At least we'll go laughing.

Winterfell is really large. They have room. You might want to look into founding a proper Praxeum in the future, but for the moment you're just getting started.

So what now?

Once Jon manages to levitate a rock I'll get them started on hand-pushing exercises and moving meditation outside of the grove and the immediate influence of the Force nexus. Ned might be slower going since he does have other responsibilities and all, but I can adjust accordingly.

Also, if Arya gets antsy I'll introduce her to other focusing exercises. Like meditating in a one-haded handstand, that's a classic.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:03 am

Rieverre wrote:"Keep working on your concentration. Surprise and disbelief are fine in training, but being able to deal with them is what'll pay off in the long run."

She nods and keeps trying.

Oh come on, I would have done an inventory check at some point during the travel montage. I just assume these things go without saying.

... Bad call, dude...

You know the old saying? To assume names an ass out of you and me? Wink

Might as well give her the time to come looking.

K.

What exactly those 'ladylike ideals' she's trying to avoid so adroitly are.

She groans and says she'll be back in a few.

She walks in carrying a stack of books that frankly she shouldn't be able to lift and dumps them on the table with a thunk that causes it to rattle.

"Read up, Master."

They're all basically the Midieval version of Disney princess fairy tales. You know the type. With the pure, helpless virgin princess and the oh so noble knight who live happily ever after?

Because that mix has worked out so well in the past ^^

Except you can't give council to someone if they keep it secret from everyone...

Fair point. Things have been escalating pretty quickly. By that same token, it's only been a day or two. I'll wait and see if the situation improves before intervening. Trying to fix everything nownownow is more than likely going to mess things up further.

True enough.

At least we'll go laughing.

WHAT'S SO FUNNY?!

There is no Fire and Ice. There is only the Force. - Page 9 Photo

Once Jon manages to levitate a rock I'll get them started on hand-pushing exercises and moving meditation outside of the grove and the immediate influence of the Force nexus.

He gets it in a couple days time.

Ned might be slower going since he does have other responsibilities and all, but I can adjust accordingly.

He puts some time as side every day for it.

Also, if Arya gets antsy I'll introduce her to other focusing exercises. Like meditating in a one-haded handstand, that's a classic.

She is pretty good at it and admits she likes tumbling.

A couple days in Robb asks if he can try.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:39 pm

Psyckosama wrote:She nods and keeps trying.

Enviable determination and focus. Kid's gonna go far if she can keep that going.

... Bad call, dude...

You know the old saying? To assume names an ass out of you and me? Wink

Okay, so what's in there?

She groans and says she'll be back in a few.

She walks in carrying a stack of books that frankly she shouldn't be able to lift and dumps them on the table with a thunk that causes it to rattle.

"Read up, Master."

They're all basically the Midieval version of Disney princess fairy tales. You know the type. With the pure, helpless virgin princess and the oh so noble knight who live happily ever after?

"I think your sister is heading for a nasty, not to mention possibly dangerous disappointment in the future. If she's very unlucky it'll be the kind that requires heads to roll."

I flip through the books.

"Also, were these written by the same person or are there simply no laws around here that prevent people from ripping off plots and calling them their own?"

I'm tempted to find a talented young enthusiast of the written word and pay them to write a noir-esque detective thriller set in King's Landing following a grizzled Goldcloak officer two weeks away from retirement. Call it 'Gutters run gold' or something.

"... wait, are these where Jon got his idea that the world should be righteous and honorable?"

That last bit is mostly me kidding. Mostly. We need better reading materials.

Hey, ideally I'd like a mountaintop fortress/monastery ... entirely beside the point is the fact that I'd likely have a set of white and red hooded robes made and start hanging out on rooftops pretending I'm Ezio Auditore.

But yeah, for now this is enough. I'd at least like a cadre of teaching assistants before taking on the number of students that would require more room be made.

For now I can just get Aria to walk her siblings and father through some of the simpler exercises, just to see if she's understood the gist of it. After all, the best way to prove your knowledge of a subject is demonstrating the ability to pass that knowledge on.

He gets it in a couple days time.

Still very good, especially for someone who already started forming their own opinion of the world.

He puts some time as side every day for it.

If he'd like to try, we can include morning sparring in the routine to keep limber ^^

She is pretty good at it and admits she likes tumbling.

She probably wouldn't appreciate being called grasshopper ^^

Regardless, Arya seems ready for a bit more instruction outside of the Godswood. I'll pick a suitably picturesque hill with one rough approach and start there.

A couple days in Robb asks if he can try.

... well, Ned's likely there and if he has no objections then neither have I. I put Arya on helping Jon and Ned, even if the extent of her help might be limited to 'no, that feels wrong when you're trying to do it' and then walk Robb through the meditation exercises.

Anyway, once they're all ... well, not abreast really but once the majority of my students has got meditation down to the point they can keep it up while walking and maybe keep in touch with the Force while having a conversation, I'll start talking about the different disciplines of actually using the Force one might encounter or employ.

I run through the easy ones - by now they've seen telekinesis - and using the Force to be stronger, faster or more balanced. I expect Arya to go 'oh' sometime during this as she's likely been doing this either subconsciously or starting to figure it out. I also touch upon using the Force to weather the elements and mention that with greater understanding may come the ability to heal injuries both in yourself and others.

If there's disbelief at the lattermost, I can demonstrate by cutting the palm of my hand and then closing the wound.
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Rieverre wrote:Enviable determination and focus. Kid's gonna go far if she can keep that going.

She hopes so. Maybe if she's awesome enough she can avoid an arranged marriage.

Okay, so what's in there?

A number of unfinished (as in need mounting and polishing) force katana blades... and several ingots of a greyish metal...

"I think your sister is heading for a nasty, not to mention possibly dangerous disappointment in the future. If she's very unlucky it'll be the kind that requires heads to roll."

"Ugh," she winces, "And here I just thought it was bad writing. I'd rather be the fucking knight."

I flip through the books.

"Also, were these written by the same person or are there simply no laws around here that prevent people from ripping off plots and calling them their own?"

"Uh, no..."

I'm tempted to find a talented young enthusiast of the written word and pay them to write a noir-esque detective thriller set in King's Landing following a grizzled Goldcloak officer two weeks away from retirement. Call it 'Gutters run gold' or something.

Go right ahead. You might start a new genera...

"... wait, are these where Jon got his idea that the world should be righteous and honorable?"

"No, he got that from Father. Who thinks you should always behave honorably."

That last bit is mostly me kidding. Mostly. We need better reading materials.

Do as you will. While discouraged from owning possessions, the Jedi order always was happy to allow Jedi time for hobbies.

Hey, ideally I'd like a mountaintop fortress/monastery ... entirely beside the point is the fact that I'd likely have a set of white and red hooded robes made and start hanging out on rooftops pretending I'm Ezio Auditore.

Please resist the urge. Assassination is not the Jedi path. Even if the Assassins in that setting were mostly honorable.

But yeah, for now this is enough. I'd at least like a cadre of teaching assistants before taking on the number of students that would require more room be made.

And you'll have to train them for yourself. Though you might need Non-Starks for this.

For now I can just get Aria to walk her siblings and father through some of the simpler exercises, just to see if she's understood the gist of it. After all, the best way to prove your knowledge of a subject is demonstrating the ability to pass that knowledge on.

The Girl's innate gift is scary. She sits down with her brother and father, who are both amused at the idea of being taught by Arya.

Both do pay attention though and she coaches them through rather well. Though her methods of teaching are a bit humorous and she is obviously going to be one of those masters when she grows up... she knows her shit.

Scary kid.

In the order a girl like her would be considered a once in a generation prodigy. At this rate, by the time she's old enough to be traditionally introduced to a master, she may very well be prepared for her Knighthood Trials... if she shows the maturity to use the force wisely.

Still very good, especially for someone who already started forming their own opinion of the world.

Quite. This Stark Family is strong in the force.

If he'd like to try, we can include morning sparring in the routine to keep limber ^^

He would enjoy that. The boys can join in. Arya wants to as well, but he informs her that she needs training first so she doesn't hurt herself... and will have both you and the master-at-arms show her.

She probably wouldn't appreciate being called grasshopper ^^

You could almost get away with calling her Snipes. The idea of Asoka and Arya in the same room would be terrifying. The only way to tell them apart would be the hair...

Regardless, Arya seems ready for a bit more instruction outside of the Godswood. I'll pick a suitably picturesque hill with one rough approach and start there.

She does reasonably well. It seems her "Meditate at every possible moment" efforts have paid off and she slips in almost effortlessly.

... well, Ned's likely there and if he has no objections then neither have I. I put Arya on helping Jon and Ned, even if the extent of her help might be limited to 'no, that feels wrong when you're trying to do it' and then walk Robb through the meditation exercises.

Ned doesn't. At this point he understands enough that if his children seek instruction and aren't stupid enough to go Dark, why not?

Arya does take a sadistic pleasure in teaching her elder brother. Not cruel at all, but more she is very amused by using some of the more obnoxious training methods she can think of.

She and master Yoda most likely would have traded notes...

Mmmm... True that is. Great potential the girl has... amusing to watch this shall be.

Master Yoda?!

Mind me not. Just watching I am. Though suggestion I shall make. Start her on deflecting training you should. Now forget I am even here you should

I run through the easy ones - by now they've seen telekinesis - and using the Force to be stronger, faster or more balanced. I expect Arya to go 'oh' sometime during this as she's likely been doing this either subconsciously or starting to figure it out. I also touch upon using the Force to weather the elements and mention that with greater understanding may come the ability to heal injuries both in yourself and others.

If there's disbelief at the lattermost, I can demonstrate by cutting the palm of my hand and then closing the wound.

She's impressed. And she already figured it out. It's how a 25kg 9 year old girl was able to move almost three quarters her weight in books without snapping in half.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre on Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:54 pm

She hopes so. Maybe if she's awesome enough she can avoid an arranged marriage.

"Yeah, that's not happening. There are few things that are a worse idea than putting a Jedi, or any Force user really, in a bad relationship. Fragile things tend to get broken that way. You know, fragile things, like cities, armies or fleets."

A number of unfinished (as in need mounting and polishing) force katana blades... and several ingots of a greyish metal...

If that's beskar I really hope I don't run into any Mandos. Especially if I know how to forge it. They tend to take that shit very seriously.

"Ugh," she winces, "And here I just thought it was bad writing. I'd rather be the fucking knight."

And I'm squaring that statement away in my future blackmail pile, for when she's older. Even if she probably means having control over her life rather than rescuing princesses.

"No, he got that from Father. Who thinks you should always behave honorably."

"It's not a bad sentiment, just as long as you remember others won't necessarily follow it. Might save your life some day."

Please resist the urge. Assassination is not the Jedi path. Even if the Assassins in that setting were mostly honorable

I just meant they were snappy dressers.

And you'll have to train them for yourself. Though you might need Non-Starks for this.

Once I have this lot trained up enough that they don't accidentally hurt themselves. Not that things are likely to work out so neat and cleanly. But a man can hope.

The Girl's innate gift is scary. She sits down with her brother and father, who are both amused at the idea of being taught by Arya.

Both do pay attention though and she coaches them through rather well. Though her methods of teaching are a bit humorous and she is obviously going to be one of those masters when she grows up... she knows her shit.

Scary kid.

In the order a girl like her would be considered a once in a generation prodigy. At this rate, by the time she's old enough to be traditionally introduced to a master, she may very well be prepared for her Knighthood Trials... if she shows the maturity to use the force wisely.

We'll see when the time comes. I'm definitely keeping her close and keeping an eye on her.

He would enjoy that. The boys can join in. Arya wants to as well, but he informs her that she needs training first so she doesn't hurt herself... and will have both you and the master-at-arms show her.

Next morning I bring a few fighting sticks and we start the new routine.

"There are seven traditional lightsaber forms. Form I, the Determination Form serves as the foundation from which all of them started, even if some are dramatically different. This is what is taught initially, so this is what I'll be starting with. It's simple, some would even say raw and plodding compared to more elegant forms, but for all that also adaptable. Therein lies its strength. This is what I will begin teaching you."

Cue demonstration of relevant guards and strikes, then sparring.

You could almost get away with calling her Snipes. The idea of Asoka and Arya in the same room would be terrifying. The only way to tell them apart would be the hair...

The galaxy is not ready for such a thing.

She's impressed. And she already figured it out. It's how a 25kg 9 year old girl was able to move almost three quarters her weight in books without snapping in half.

Good, now I can help her figure out what exactly she's done to make it more efficient. Then, as Head Yoda said, I was already planning on blindfolding her and throwing pebbles her way for her to either dodge or deflect with her not-bokken.

Last edited by Rieverre on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Rieverre
Rieverre

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru on Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:45 am

Psyckosama wrote:She works on her back in a brothel...

Yeah kinda goes without saying huh?

What you end up doing is floating something small that only she can see....

Her eyes go wide... then roll up in to the back of her head and she faints dead away from the shock.

Well shit...

An angry old woman who looks like she was pretty... once... long ago... storms up looking furious. "Now what in the fucking hell do you tihnk you're doing to my girls?!"

Putting on the full charm... "Nothing madam, I was just talking with her. Though it seems that she's feeling ill. I have a bit of the healing arts about me...allow me to see to her myself, free of charge."

Cue the finger waves.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama on Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:02 am

Brian Boru wrote:Yeah kinda goes without saying huh?

Yep.

Well shit...

I did a reaction roll. She rolled a 98.

Putting on the full charm... "Nothing madam, I was just talking with her. Though it seems that she's feeling ill.  I have a bit of the healing arts about me...allow me to see to her myself, free of charge."

Cue the finger waves.

Her eyes glaze over. "You were just talking to her and she's feeling ill... but you know the healing arts and will see to her for free..." she smiles. "Gods bless you. If you can make my girl well, I'll have a free room for you, and if she wants to reward you, well, sometimes her charms are all a girls got. Let her know I won't be angry..."

She turns around and goes back to her business...

Masterfully done. Master Qui-Gon couldn't have done it better, and he mastered the Mind Trick to a degree considered almost excessive among Jedi.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum