Giant Stompy Robots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeper's Quest

+18
Militia Productions
mithril-blade
Wing101
Silver Sun 17
EagleBlue
Carrnage
Godogma
bzzt3421
Zeitgeist
Rieverre
ShaperV
Deathwings
Robotninja
Brian Boru
ReinZero
Ironforge
Kelenas
Psyckosama
22 posters

Page 18 of 29 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23 ... 29  Next

Go down

Keeper's Quest - Page 18 Empty Re: Keeper's Quest

Post by Kelenas Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 am

[x] What's a typical male name in the area?

I'd say just go with Seth again, but the other Keepers may have spies in the town, and two people with the same name cropping up in both the Over- and Underworld might attract attention.
Kelenas
Kelenas

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:02 am

[x] what's a typical name for sons in the area?

might be good to ask, if nothing else. Of course, that doesn't prevent us from using something else anyway, and if it comes to a vote ...

[] John Connor
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:35 am

Just to throw out another option... you could go with "Everyone just calls me..."

And think of a nickname.

Just thought of it. Would have added it to the list.

Psyckosama
Admin

https://giantstompyrobots.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zeitgeist Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 pm

[x] Everyone just calls me Slim.

Zeitgeist

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotninja Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm

John Carter. As a ref to John Carter of Mars.

Robotninja

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrnage Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 am

[X] John Carter
Carrnage
Carrnage

Back to top Go down

Post by mithril-blade Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:49 pm

[X] John Carter

Because the movie is very underrated.

mithril-blade

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Seth sat in place for a moment. Some would call what he was doing plotting, but he wasn’t. You see, he refused to call it plotting, because plotting lead to maniacal laughter and while highly therapeutic, cackling like a maniac never helped.

“So,” he asked after a moment, “How are names structured on the surface?”

Rollick blinked. “What do you mean, sire?”

“What I mean,” he replied, “Is what names are common, how do you introduce yourselves, and even do people have family names?”

“Well, folk around these parts just go by their town... or profession I guess...”

“Hmm...” Seth muttered, “How common is the name ‘John’?”

“I know a lot of Johns,” Rollick replied, “Whole lot of Johns.”

“Half the men in the Overworld are probably named John,” Gnarl observed.

Seth smiled. His middle name was John. That would be useful if there were any truth detection spells, and while he’d originally wanted to call himself something like John Connor or John Carter, because Terminator was cool and anyone who didn’t like John Carter of Mars needed to be castrated via having a rabid wolverine stuffed down their pants, just John would do in a punch.

“Good!” Seth replied with a smile. “When we’re on the surface, call me John.”

Rollick nodded. “Alright, sire.”

“Good, now off with you. There’s probably pumpkins that need cooking.”

Rollick’s eyes lit up. “Of course sire. Thank you sire.”

Seth smiled as the man walked off and then looked down at the pack of surface clothing. “I’m going for a walk.”

--- --- ---

About twenty minutes later Seth found himself stepping out of a cave and into the woods. The Underworld it seems was pretty much just one vast, interconnected tunnel system, much like a game of Minecraft in a way, only with less Creepers, thank you Baby Jesus.

It had been almost elementry for him to have one of Aladri’s children direct him to a nearby exit that they normally when they intended to do some night time hunting. While it was reasonably deep into the woods, the Wolves tended to stay away from the area because they didn’t want to have to deal with a horde of angry spiders on their own turf.

That mean that his walk to the road was completely unmolested. One moment he was in the woods and the next he was stepping onto a road with a picture perfect rural vista of classical fantasy life. There was the village in the distance across rolling pasturelands laden with cottony sheep, golden fields of grain, and little cottages here and there with their little gardens full of pumpkins and vegetables.

It was really quite idyllic and after almost a month underground, it was a relief to be up in the world again, and away from that stinking bog, a clear skies and fresh air that didn’t smell like the basement of an old house.

Fresh air and open skies
, Gnarl muttered along their link, Disgusting isn’t it master?

Yes, Mentor agreed, I’ve always found the smell of a nice raid to liven it right up.

I’m enjoying myself, you idiots. Stop ruining it.

Well, no accounting for taste...

Seth shook his head and looked at the road.

From here he could just go exploring, check out the village, poke around, do something like that...

Or he could go right to Rollick’s place and check in with his ‘uncle’.

And what would he talk about when he got there?

So many choices...

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelenas Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:08 pm

Hm... I'd say we explore the village a bit, see how big it is and what kind of services it offers then move to Rollick's.

We could also use that to start building up our cover a bit. Openly ask for Rollick's tavern/in and introduce ourselves as a relative if asked.
Kelenas
Kelenas

Back to top Go down

Post by Wing101 Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 am

I vote exploring the village before heading to Rollicks pacce
Wing101
Wing101

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironforge Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 pm

[x] Explore the village.
Ironforge
Ironforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:26 pm

[] Rollick's place. Because 'stranger poking around' in a village in medievilania was not a safe occupation and Seth didn't want to blow his cover quite yet. 'Relative of someone we actually know' wasn't that much safer, but there was a margin of error there you don't get with the previous option.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Godogma Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:19 pm

My vote is we wander into town and ask for Rollick's place while looking around - since we're coming in as his family and all it makes sense to ask about for him and we have to walk into town anyway.

Asking for directions and looking around at the new place makes sense to me so I'll go with +1 to Kel's vote.
Godogma
Godogma

Back to top Go down

Post by EagleBlue Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:48 am

I'll put my vote for Kel's action.
EagleBlue
EagleBlue

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrnage Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:37 am

[X] Explore.
Carrnage
Carrnage

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:39 pm

After a few moments thought, a slow smile came to Seth’s face. While he knew the location of the inn, it wouldn’t hurt to do some light exploration. After all, as a foreign distant relative type he would know all of three things about the location of Rollick’s inn: Jack, shit, and the town it was in.

It was with that in his mind he readied to head off towards ye olde peaceful peasant vyllage, he decided to take a look at himself to make sure he cut the proper image of the vagabond traveling adventurer. Personally, he thought he did a pretty good job. From the looks of things, Rollick probably had cleaned out the lost and found, because mixed in with the obvious day clothes was a pile of odds and ends, of miscellaneous junk that had been left behind during the years that Rollick had owned his inn.

Between the outfits and the crap, Seth sure as hell looked the part. A sturdy pair of boots over linen trousers, a light woolen tunic bound around the waist with his sword belt, and a badly worn hooded cloak that had probably seen much use before being accidently left in Rollick’s care.

Beyond that was the obvious daggers and knives, because one set was never enough, some crude cuttery, a battered leather mug, a wooden bowl, a copper pot, a ratty old bed roll, some ‘travel rations, and of course, the adventuring staples such as some torches, rope, and of course his obligatory ten foot pole, which was being used as the bindle stick to carry the the bulk of his in-character traveling crap.

He looked like some kind of flea bitten medieval hobo, complete with the bag on a stick hanging over his shoulder. In other words, he looked just perfect for the role.

It was thus, comfortable with his look, that our scruffy protagonist quested onward towards the peaceful village and what untold horrors it might contain!

Slowly and actually he walked down the road and it wasn’t more than five minutes before he met his first surface worlder. Next to the road small farm house with a couple sheep and a large pumpkin patch. From the small cart and pitchfork he carried, seth could only guess that he was looking to fetch some hay for his livestock.

Slowly the two came to a stop as they approached each other, taking the other in. He couldn’t say what the peasant thought of him, but he wasn’t impressed by what he saw.

The man was a gangly bloke, tall and somewhat horse faced with large ears and droopy eyes that blankly gazed out from under his thin, greying hair. His clothing was equally mediocre, with a brown shirt and butternut pants, both in homespun, capped off with a pair of muddy leather shoes. Or at least he hoped that was mud.

He looked like the constitutional peasant but without the intellect needed to sustain the stimulating political science discourse. Or Seth could simply be acting like an opinionated ass. After all, just because the man looked crude didn’t mean was an idiot.

Sadly, all it took to confirm the possibility that the genius before him had a masters in shit shoveling and a PHD in sheep buggering was form him to open his mouth. In all of one sentence he understood why Gnarl and the others had such a contempt for the locals.

“Oi dere! Dere sumfink I can ‘elp ye with stranger?”

Oh yeah. Nothing spoke of class, intellect and good breeding like sounding like an extra from a poorly done 1980s Swords and Sorcery movie. Now all he needed to do was for the oily-nippled barbarian hero to show up and save the big breasted princess from the evil Overlord’s vile clutches.

Though considering he was the Evil Overlord, he didn’t have any captive princesses... he paused... at least he didn’t know of any. That last girl might just be one for as little as he knew about her background. He’d have to look into that. Still though, there was no goddamned way he was transforming into a snake no matter how much the plot might demand.

“Oi, dere sumfink the matter? Ye seem a mite befuddled.”

Seth coughed, and for a split second remained silent, resisting the urge to speak outright. As probably could be expected from the setting, most people spoke in some degree of Ye Olde Stereotypical English Accent. As such it would probably be a good idea to adopt one himself to help blend in.

With that in mind he coughed slightly and replied. “Oh yes. I apologize. Was just thinking about something,” he said affecting

“Roight then,” he said with a nod, “So where ye from then? Ye got a bit of a foreign sound to ye.”

And of course he wouldn’t get the local accent exactly right.

“I’m a traveler,” he replied with a smile.

“So wot kind of traveler are ye?” he asked, “Can’t ‘elp but notice yeh carryin’ a mighty fine sword there.”

“This sword was my grandfather’s,” he replied with a smile, ”He was an adventurer, and hope to carry in his footsteps.”

“Well blessed be!” the man exclaimed, “We've been in dire need of a heroic type of bloke!”

Seth chuckled and held up his hands. “Hold on now! Hold on! Right now I’ve just come to visit my uncle. Rollick, I believe he runs an inn around here.”

The man scrutinized him for a moment, “You’re Rollick’s kin? Can’t say I see a resemblance...”

Seth shrugged, “By marrage.”

“Oh, roight. So what’s yeh name den?”

“John,” Seth replied smoothing, flashing a charming smile.

“John?” the man replied, “Well that’s a roight find name. I’m also called John.”

“Half the men on the planet are named John,” Seth replied with a smile, “I’m sure the other half are probably named George.”

John laughed. “Prolly roght so. Well then, ye need directions then?”

Seth nodded. “Would be greatful.”

John smiled, showing that not only did he had the stereotypical damned near unintelligible lower class British accent, but he also had the stereotypical gangling green lower class British teeth.

“Roight then. I gotta fetch some hay for my sheep, so I can’t show ye about...”

Seth raised his hands. “No, it’s alright. All I is an attaway.”

“No, sir, I insist!” he said, “Oi! Elizabeth! Come out ‘ere and help this bloke find ‘is way about!”

“In a moment father!” came a muffled voice from inside the house.

And what Seth saw next made him question the validity of the entire concept of Mendelian inheritance. He’d like to tell himself this girl couldn’t be the child of the man before him, but he could see a slight resemblance between the two, but it seemed that every feature that just seemed to go wrong in him went right in her.

Her eyes were the same, but instead of looking sleepy and dazed, they had a dreamy quality to them. Like her father her mouth was maybe a bit large for her face, but it just gave her a grander smile. Even the ears, which were a bit sticky outy like her fathers ended up being more cute than distracting. Even her father’s ganglyness was translated into the thin beauty when combined with a pair of generous hips and a full bust.

All in all, she was pretty hot, and while he wouldn’t call her a classic beauty, she had the whole ‘girl next door’ thing down pat. Getting over the immediate shock of how this could be related to that, he decided to give her maybe a solid seven out of ten.

Before he’d became a Dungeon Keeper he’d have probably rated her a bit higher, but considering the lovely ladies he had waiting for him back home, he was a bit more picky. Not that he’d kick her out of bed or anything, but still.

“Oh, hello!” She said giving him a curtsy. “Who’s this father.”

“John ‘ere’s a travelin’ adventurer,” John replied, “I’d like ye to show ‘em ‘bout the town.”

“I only need to know where Rollick’s Inn is...” he said weakly.

“That may be!” He smiled again, forcing Seth to hold down a wince, “But the Inn’s past the town an’ to get through town ye gotta get past old Jedrick ”

“Who’s Jedrick?” Seth asked.

“‘E’s the town sheriff,“ Elizabeth replied, “Paranoid sort he is. Likes to give everybody travelin’ the ol’ twenty questions. I could get ye right past ‘em if you like!”

Seth looked over to her. “And what would you like in exchange?”

She smiled, flashing him a pearly white smile that again made him question the rules of genetic inheritance. “If you’re a right and true adventurer, then maybe ye could tell me a couple o’ stories?”

Seth smiled. He could do that. He could regale her with the events of some of his more amusing roleplaying adventures, editing them just enough not to stand out. He could also just tell her a couple takes he’d ‘heard’ during his ‘travels’.

Oh yes. This would be easy.

“Sounds like a good trade,” he replied, “Lead the way...”

--- --- ---

“So, who’s this then?”

So this must be Jedrick, Seth thought to himself as he looked at the man guarding the gate to the village. He was a towering figure of a man, tall, craggy faced, and and thick about the middle with arms that looked like Tree Trunks. He was clad from head to toe in leathers with a thick breast plate. Across his chest was a red and white sash, probably his badge of office. At his side was a large clever like sword, and in his hand a solid looking spear with a wickedly sharp tip.

“‘I’s name’s John,” Elizabeth said with a smile, “He’s a travelin’ adventurer!”

“That so?” the man asked, shooting Seth a glare, “There are no adventures to be found about here. So what do you really want here, boy?”

“I’m here to visit Rollick,” Seth replied, declining to sarcastically mention the werewolves in the forrest, the trolls in the swamps, and the various other nasties infesting the area. “We’re kin and I was passing through the area...”

“Passin’ through lookin’ for what? Rollick’s never told me about no kin before...”

“And I’m sure ‘e tells ye all ‘is personal business,” Elizabeth snapped, “I know yer just tryin’ ta due yur duty, but less ‘e makes trouble there isn’t any good reason to bother ‘em...”

The man growled but relented under the warm gaze of the young woman. “Alright, carry on... but I’ll be watching you.”

She smiled and bodily pulled Seth through the gates, gilling all the way.

“Scary ol’ sheriff has a soft spot for the girls ‘e does!”

“Thank you,” Seth replied, looking over the town. It was something right out of a renaissance fair. Wooden buildings crammed in as tightly as they could with the intent of getting as many inside the town walls as was physically possible with issues such as sanitation and fire safety being a distant second. Near the entrance was a large, open crossroads which obviously passed for the town square, a small open space that probably served as meeting place and the town market. Along both sides were a handful of shops, while at the end was a white building which looked very much like a hybrid of a medieval church and a grecian temple. A large side road continued to another gate, while another lead off out of his view.”

“So, you were going to point out the sights?”

“Aye!” she replied, “We have many a shop ‘ere! All a travelin’ man such as your self could need. There’s the temple where ye can right yourself with the gods and get thier blessin’, then we got the Bob the Blacksmith. He’s not much one for arms mind you, but he’s good for most mendin’ of metals. Then there’s Old Frank, the dry good seller... Past that is Archie’s tavern...”

“I thought Rollick was the main innkeeper here...”

“Aye, ‘e is, and ‘e makes a damned fine pumpkin pie, but ‘e ain’t the only one who sells a good beer, though I personally swear on his spice pumpkin ale I do!”

Seth chuckled. “Well, what else do we have?”

“Jack the Apothecary. ‘E’s quite the potion maker ‘e is, and ‘is wife ‘as a good thumb for herbs. Then there’s Zelda’s shop if ye need some witchery. I could say more, but I don’t think yed care much about Fred the Baker or Jim the Butcher, though from the look of ye, you could use a meetin’ with Ted the Barber...”

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, though you still owe me a story... but I’ll have ta claim that later then I guess,” she smiled, “The Prancing Pumpking is right down this here street about a half mile outside the walls...”

“And the other street?” Seth asked.

“Aye. That leads to the Lord Demetrius castle it does. If ye stick about I’m sure you’ll see ‘is wife ridin’ about on her fine white mare I bet.”

“Why not the lord?” Seth asked.
“He’s off questin’. He aspires to join the Holy Order of Paladins an’ become a great hero. Lady Rosella runs the barony in his stead,” she sighed, “Poor woman...”

“What’s wrong?”

“Lord Demetrius ‘asn’t been in town for two years,” she replied, “Goin’ on three! She’s in the prime of ‘er live and just waitin’ for ‘er love ta come ‘ome when she should be knowin’ the proper joy of children!” she shook her head, “I’m all for heroism I am, but a man can’t forget his wife!”

Seth thought for a moment and...

[ ] Asked more about this Lady Rosella
- [ ] And started to make plots as of how to seduce her.
[ ] Moved onto Rollick's place
[ ] Explored the shops (which ones!)
[ ] Checked out the temple.
[ ] Started playing meet the locals...

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelenas Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 am

[x] Asked more about this Lady Rosella
- [x] And started to make plots as of how to seduce her.

Because we need a nice Baroness in our harem. Very Happy
More seriously, it'd be a damn impressive AoI to seduce a surface-lords' wife away from him.

Other than that, I'm torn. I wouldn't mind having a look at the temple, but chances are that it'd be very risky. And I don't think the shops here would sell anything we *really* need, though we might want to have a look anyway, if only for the sake of our cover. Such as having some of our traveling-equipment repaired by the blacksmith.
Kelenas
Kelenas

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:14 am

the witch zelda might be a good one to check, alone mind you, she might be the biggest threat here.

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wing101 Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:33 am

This has been decided even before the last thread
Wing101
Wing101

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotninja Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:09 am

Really, if he cared about his wife he wouldn't be spending all his time away from her. We're just giving her a chance at happiness that he failed at.

Robotninja

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 am

Much as the very concept of cuckold makes my fingers twitch into a throttling position....we might as well learn what we can about the woman while we're about. Who knows, maybe the guy's an abusive ass behind closed doors. Least it'd make me feel better.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Robotninja Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:28 am

Dude. He has spent close to three years away from his wife in search of glory. That's. . . Kinda jerkish.

Robotninja

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:31 am

We can talk while we walk, right?
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelenas Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 am

Robotninja wrote:Dude. He has spent close to three years away from his wife in search of glory. That's. . . Kinda jerkish.
This. It'd be one thing to intervene in a happy and healthy relationship, but as far as I understand, the lady is basically a trophy-wife who takes care of the actual work while her husband is off having fun elsewhere.
Kelenas
Kelenas

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathwings Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:37 am

Rosella...Rose...heh. Now, I wonder if she's got a vamp of a sister named Velvet. Wink

The best outcome would be that we manage to turn Rose to our side and use her as a smoke screen to cover our dungeon position.

A plan I came up with was to become the local Hero by "taking care" of the troubles in the region (by recruiting them), arrange for the Lord's death and then marry Rose, therefore becoming the local Lord, which would make us the ruler of not only the local Underworld but also the local Overworld. It would be a great cover !
Deathwings
Deathwings

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelenas Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:46 am

Deathwings wrote:A plan I came up with was to become the local Hero by "taking care" of the troubles in the region (by recruiting them), arrange for the Lord's death and then marry Rose, therefore becoming the local Lord, which would make us the ruler of not only the local Underworld but also the local Overworld. It would be a great cover !
Pretty much what I had in mind as well, yeah. Smile
Kelenas
Kelenas

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironforge Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:23 pm

Ironforge
Ironforge

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Oh that IS despicable, though that'd be a bit...tough to pull off living a dual life like that.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Godogma Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 pm

[X] Asked more about the Lady Rosella.
[X] And started to plot as of how to seduce her.
[X] Move onto Rollick's place.
Godogma
Godogma

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelenas Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Huh, I see someone picked up an Evil Genius avatar... or I might be mis-remembering something.
Kelenas
Kelenas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 29 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23 ... 29  Next