Giant Stompy Robots
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stags of the Mountains: You in the A Song of Ice and Fire BROB: With a Bonus!

+2
Psyckosama
Brian Boru
6 posters

Page 12 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23 ... 34  Next

Go down

Stags of the Mountains: You in the A Song of Ice and Fire BROB: With a Bonus! - Page 12 Empty Re: Stags of the Mountains: You in the A Song of Ice and Fire BROB: With a Bonus!

Post by Rieverre Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:40 am

Brian Boru wrote:Several days after your harrowing escape from the inn you finally reach it.  The great Red Keep, the place where the might Aegon the conqueror landed 300 years ago to form a kingdom and dynasty that dominated an entire continent.  It also stinks to high heaven when the wind blows towards you.

Well you're here now...anything you want to do before the tourney starts tomorrow?  And what do you wish to enlist as?
Bleah. That smell. Place needs public works badly.

_Tomorrow_? Well, that's annoying. I'd been hoping for enough time to get this damn armor fitted properly. I'll still hunt down a reputable blacksmith and see if they can't do anything in the relatively short time we have before the tourney. If they can't, I'll check their stock for pieces that look to be a better fit while not grinding against the pieces of my prize plate I'll still be wearing. I'll also want to get a shield of good quality, preferably a heater.

In addition, I'll try to buy a hood (the kind with a shoulder cape), fairly plain, that will fit over my armor. Might as well go with more symbolism, since I'll want to find an archery contest as well as take part in the Knights' bracket of events, so I'll be calling myself the Knight of the Hood.

And yes, I'm keeping Mya around for all that as we've very good reason to not get split up. If we have traveling cloaks, we'll probably keep the hoods of those up.

Anyway, this is probably going to take time enough that unless there's a bowyer's shop or stall on the way, businesses will be closing down before we can get to one. Otherwise, that's another thing I'd like to look at and try to find a proper, heavy-draw bow. Finding a recurve would be awesome.

Well, regardless as to how that all goes, once I'm done - and if Mya doesn't want anything, because really, I've been dragging her along on a shopping trip, I know how mind-bogglingly boring being forced to endure through someone else doing that is - we're off to the tourney grounds to register for the Knights' bracket, as well as ask around if an archery contest is being run alongside to figure out the timing and, if possible, register there too.

EDIT: And yes, regardless of if we find an in or camp on tourney-grounds (this is probably what ends up happening, really), maintain proper protective paranoia at all times. Hoods up for Mya and myself, heads covered otherwise, sleeping lightly with a weapon on hand, the works.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Stags of the Mountains: You in the A Song of Ice and Fire BROB: With a Bonus! - Page 12 Empty Re: Stags of the Mountains: You in the A Song of Ice and Fire BROB: With a Bonus!

Post by Brian Boru Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:56 am

Psyckosama wrote:"Seriously. I've heard good things about the Mormonts of Bear Island... I've heard Dacey is equally as competent in armor as she is in a dress. Think I should send out a couple feelers? I'm sure I could talk father into stopping by, and if she seems to be what the stories tell she just might be useful as someone to teach you
That gets a spark of interest.

"Come... let me show you the real magic I'm working."

I show him my prototype printing press... and paper.

"Behold, the most powerful weapon in the world..."
He doesn't get it. "Looks like a Winepress that was horribly mangled."

Polite and friendly with light conversation.
Fun evening.

"I swear, half the spankings we got were simply and excuse to get our bottoms down so they could see which is which. I'm sure there was many a cup drank in thanks to the maiden when Mya's hips started to spread."
That got a chuckle and a shiver goes through your spine when you imagine the hell Mya would raise if she heard that little ditty.

I take a deep breath. "I'll be honest with you father... half the reason I went to that torny was for her sake. Her her recognized. It wasn't just about me. I know she likes Mycheal, I also know there isn't a pretty boy's chance on a ship named the 'Buggerer' that any lord would allow even his youngest to marry a nameless bastard. King's Daughter though... whole other story. I wanted to give her a chance to be happy. I still would have done it regardless of her benefit had there not been one, but I still would have done it had there been no benefit to myself."

"I love my sister more than anything and have always been more worried about her happiness than my own."
That does give him thought thought though he does advise making sure that this little romance lasts. Could shrivel up like a farm in winter at the drop of a hat.

Later on I say in passing to Tyrion "Always tip generously"
Tyrion smirks at that.

And now I intend to make it much wider.
Heh

"My thanks."
You get a message back about a week later saying that Ser Corbray would be more than happy to come and accompany the king's party.

Wonderful. So how does the feast and festivities go?
Quite well, you catch up with the knights that had stayed behind as well as the squires though there is a slight barrier between you that wasn't there before, seems becoming heir to the Iron Throne does that.

If I see Robert's eyes wandering I hand him some of my moon tea and say "If I end up with any new siblings I swear by the seven and all of the old gods,that one day you'll wake up with them snipped and I will swear total ignorance..."
He laughs at the joke pockets the stuff. (seriously at the rate your throwing this stuff around you're going to give every woman in Westeros Tansy poisoning.... Remember what happened to miss Arryn...)

I hand Tyrion some too if he doesn't have a supply on hand. "Here you will find the finest arses in all of Westeros..."
Same response...

How do the others go? For example how is my former master taken in now he's a princes guard?
Quite Well actually.

Anyways, is that all that's here?
The feast that evening goes pretty well. When you go to bed that night you find that someone is waiting for you, a cloaked stranger much smaller than you.

Rieverre wrote:Bleah. That smell. Place needs public works badly.
Heh

_Tomorrow_? Well, that's annoying. I'd been hoping for enough time to get this damn armor fitted properly. I'll still hunt down a reputable blacksmith and see if they can't do anything in the relatively short time we have before the tourney. If they can't, I'll check their stock for pieces that look to be a better fit while not grinding against the pieces of my prize plate I'll still be wearing. I'll also want to get a shield of good quality, preferably a heater.
Most of the stuff, while not fitting perfectly, fits well enough to serve though you can still find a blacksmith who might be able to do a quick job.

As for the Shield you manage to find a good one for about 35 ss. What symbol do you want to put on it?

In addition, I'll try to buy a hood (the kind with a shoulder cape), fairly plain, that will fit over my armor. Might as well go with more symbolism, since I'll want to find an archery contest as well as take part in the Knights' bracket of events, so I'll be calling myself the Knight of the Hood.
You find one big enough for about 2 ss. And you're listed as such the next day. The two events are the joust and the Mounted Grand Melee. You're in for about 7 rounds of jousting to get to win the thing.

And yes, I'm keeping Mya around for all that as we've very good reason to not get split up. If we have traveling cloaks, we'll probably keep the hoods of those up.
Alright.

Anyway, this is probably going to take time enough that unless there's a bowyer's shop or stall on the way, businesses will be closing down before we can get to one. Otherwise, that's another thing I'd like to look at and try to find a proper, heavy-draw bow. Finding a recurve would be awesome.
A big warbow is findable but the recurves aren't all that common, the damp doesn't agree with them. But you manage to track a very good one for about 1000 ss you notice the white color and you learn that it's made from Weirwood which makes it stupendously strong and perfect for a long bow. He just asks that you don't ask where he got the wood for it this far South.

Well, regardless as to how that all goes, once I'm done - and if Mya doesn't want anything, because really, I've been dragging her along on a shopping trip, I know how mind-bogglingly boring being forced to endure through someone else doing that is - we're off to the tourney grounds to register for the Knights' bracket, as well as ask around if an archery contest is being run alongside to figure out the timing and, if possible, register there too.
Well she does look longingly at some of the dresses and even even some of the jewelry but she doesn't linger too long on them because though you KNOW she wants to.

Alright the first event is the Joust that will last for 2 days, then the grand melee will be the day after that. As for archery, well not officially this time though there are plenty of men having impromptu competitions right now with plenty of bets being made.

EDIT: And yes, regardless of if we find an in or camp on tourney-grounds (this is probably what ends up happening, really), maintain proper protective paranoia at all times. Hoods up for Mya and myself, heads covered otherwise, sleeping lightly with a weapon on hand, the works.
Amazingly nothing happens at all that night and the next day, you ride out as the Knight of the hood, your first competitor is a fella from the Reach not a very good jouster or you wouldn't be competing against him.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:29 am

Brian Boru wrote:
That gets a spark of interest.
"I take that as a yes?"

He doesn't get it.  "Looks like a Winepress that was horribly mangled."
"That's because it is a horribly mangled Winepress..."

I chuckle and hold out a piece of paper. "This is made from old rags and wood pulp, unlike parchment which is made from lambs skin. For a single page of parchment you could create an entire books worth of paper. But that's not the real prize here..."

I roll some ink onto the press, place the paper down, and pull out the result. A printed sheet.

"A man using this could produce a hundred books paper for in the time it would take a Measter to produce one illuminated tome at less than a tenth the expense."

If he doesn't get it I smile... and tell him to sleep on it.

That got a chuckle and a shiver goes through your spine when you imagine the hell Mya would raise if she heard that little ditty.
Meh. She'd probably say the same.

Though she'd smack me for not consulting her before giving up embarrassing details.

That does give him thought thought though he does advise making sure that this little romance lasts.  Could shrivel up like a farm in winter at the drop of a hat.
"IF it lasts, it lasts. If it doesn't, it wasn't meant to be. As long as she's happy I'm happy, and if he makes her unhappy, well... I already informed him that if he breaks her heart I'd beat him to death with a shovel."

Tyrion smirks at that.
Heh

You get a message back about a week later saying that Ser Corbray would be more than happy to come and accompany the king's party.
Nice!

Quite well, you catch up with the knights that had stayed behind as well as the squires though there is a slight barrier between you that wasn't there before, seems becoming heir to the Iron Throne does that.
Being the Heir to the Lord of your lord's lord will do that.

Any who'd I'd have considered close friends?

He laughs at the joke pockets the stuff.  (seriously at the rate your throwing this stuff around you're going to give every woman in Westeros Tansy poisoning....  Remember what happened to miss Arryn...)
She took it too far into her pregnancy and probably had to take a truly SIGNIFICANT amount to abort the child.

As a morning after option in a small dose its probably safe.

Same response...
Cool

Quite Well actually.
Great Smile

The feast that evening goes pretty well.  When you go to bed that night you find that someone is waiting for you, a cloaked stranger much smaller than you.
"Well there mysterious stranger. I bid thee show thyself."

Psyckosama
Admin

https://giantstompyrobots.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:30 am

Psyckosama wrote:"I take that as a yes?"
"Certainly a possibility though we might want to wait until we reach the North."

"That's because it is a horribly mangled Winepress..."

I chuckle and hold out a piece of paper. "This is made from old rags and wood pulp, unlike parchment which is made from lambs skin. For a single page of parchment you could create an entire books worth of paper. But that's not the real prize here..."

I roll some ink onto the press, place the paper down, and pull out the result. A printed sheet.

"A man using this could produce a hundred books paper for in the time it would take a Measter to produce one illuminated tome at less than a tenth the expense."

If he doesn't get it I smile... and tell him to sleep on it.
It takes him about 10 minutes until you can literally see the flash of comprehension spark behind his eyes. "Gods...."

Meh. She'd probably say the same.

Though she'd smack me for not consulting her before giving up embarrassing details.
She'd still thinks that's more than a hair crude.

"IF it lasts, it lasts. If it doesn't, it wasn't meant to be. As long as she's happy I'm happy, and if he makes her unhappy, well... I already informed him that if he breaks her heart I'd beat him to death with a shovel."
He snorts at that.

Being the Heir to the Lord of your lord's lord will do that.

Any who'd I'd have considered close friends?
A few squires, most of the servants and stableboys, as well as sons of families who lived in the settlement around the castle all could be considered boy-hood friends, though your closest friends might be Emond and Arman Corcan of the Snowy pass, a little spit of land north of the high pass that the blood gates guard. They're from a knightly house and are squiring at the gates of the moon because their uncles act as household knights here. They're about your age. Both had been taller than you for years until you turned 13 when you went from about 4'6 to your 6 feet by your next name day and you're due for another growth spurt soon. Otherwise the three of you had adventures all through the castle constantly including the time you grabbed all the rope in the Eyrie and intended to free-style rappel all the way down to the valley bellow before you were caught, you couldn't feel your buttocks and the back of your thighs for a week after that.

She took it too far into her pregnancy and probably had to take a truly SIGNIFICANT amount to abort the child.

As a morning after option in a small dose its probably safe.
Point.

"Well there mysterious stranger. I bid thee show thyself."
You hear a feminine giggle and your eyes widen to see Myranda under that cloak and with a bit of flair she tosses the cloak off and...SWEET GOOGA MOOGA! You didn't think they made shifts that sheer must be imported from Myr or something...

Myranda sees your surprises and smiles clasping her hands behind her back and arching her back JUST a little bit too...HOW IS THAT TISSUE STAYING IN ONE PIECE!!!!!

"Evening Eddie...is there something that pleases you?"
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:44 am

Brian Boru wrote:"Certainly a possibility though we might want to wait until we reach the North."
"I know. I'm going to ask Father to swing by Bear Island on our way down the coast from the Wall.

It takes him about 10 minutes until you can literally see the flash of comprehension spark behind his eyes. "Gods...."
"Behold the most powerful weapon in the world," I repeat.

She'd still thinks that's more than a hair crude.
Remember my company. I won't say that infront of some well bred lady.

He snorts at that.
"I had Tobho Mott make me a specialty shovel. I have it with me if you'd like to see it..."

A few squires, most of the servants and stableboys, as well as sons of families who lived in the settlement around the castle all could be considered boy-hood friends, though your closest friends might be Emond and Arman Corcan of the Snowy pass, a little spit of land north of the high pass that the blood gates guard.  They're from a knightly house and are squiring at the gates of the moon because their uncles act as household knights here.  They're about your age.  Both had been taller than you for years until you turned 13 when you went from about 4'6 to your 6 feet by your next name day and you're due for another growth spurt soon.  Otherwise the three of you had adventures all through the castle constantly including the time you grabbed all the rope in the Eyrie and intended to free-style rappel all the way down to the valley bellow before you were caught, you couldn't feel your buttocks and the back of your thighs for a week after that.
If I can, I get their uncles to accompany us. If not, I happily inform them that I will be requesting that they join my personal guard when they are knighted.

I look after my friends!

Point.
And if its expected that they will be sharing company for several nights, then only have them take a slightly stronger dose when I leave or every X number of days.

I listen to the apothocary's instructions in fine detail.

You hear a feminine giggle and your eyes widen to see Myranda under that cloak and with a bit of flair she tosses the cloak off and...SWEET GOOGA MOOGA!  You didn't think they made shifts that sheer must be imported from Myr or something...

Myranda sees your surprises and smiles clasping her hands behind her back and arching her back JUST a little bit too...HOW IS THAT TISSUE STAYING IN ONE PIECE!!!!!  

"Evening Eddie...is there something that pleases you?"
I simply grin, walk up to her, and kiss her passionately.

"You will have to inform your servants tomorrow that for the duration of my visit you will be quartering with the prince..."

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Next morning I discuss the idea of her becoming Mya's lady in waiting... along with the subtext that once I return to King's landing that will give her regular access to Maegor's Holdfast... and our rooms are not that distant from one another. I have a feeling that we will be seeing much of each other.

Next day?

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:22 am

Psyckosama wrote:"I know. I'm going to ask Father to swing by Bear Island on our way down the coast from the Wall.
Alright.

"Behold the most powerful weapon in the world," I repeat.
"....indeed...."

Remember my company. I won't say that infront of some well bred lady.
Ah...and here I thought you were screaming it infront of the high septas.....Very Happy 

"I had Tobho Mott make me a specialty shovel. I have it with me if you'd like to see it..."
He snorts, this he has to see.

If I can, I get their uncles to accompany us. If not, I happily inform them that I will be requesting that they join my personal guard when they are knighted.

I look after my friends!
You can ask and they'd likely go though Ser Nestor might be a bit miffed that you're poaching ALL of his best knights.

And if its expected that they will be sharing company for several nights, then only have them take a slightly stronger dose when I leave or every X number of days.

I listen to the apothocary's instructions in fine detail.
Right.

I simply grin, walk up to her, and kiss her passionately.

"You will have to inform your servants tomorrow that for the duration of my visit you will be quartering with the prince..."

Wink WinkWinkWinkWink
Myranda squeals a little bit in glee before you notice other things far more important....you can pay for that shift right?

Next morning I discuss the idea of her becoming Mya's lady in waiting... along with the subtext that once I return to King's landing that will give her regular access to Maegor's Holdfast... and our rooms are not that distant from one another. I have a feeling that we will be seeing much of each other.
Her father would certainly agree to her becoming a lady of the royal court, as for her personally. She answers with a kiss that starts another round.

Next day?
The next day Robert makes known his desire to go on a hunting trip and he wants you along, do you go with him?

If so roll a d100.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:27 am

Brian Boru wrote:"....indeed...."
I'm still working out the kinks but after discussing it with him I do show it to Jon.

I also show him the seed plow, which I claim might heavily improve agricultural production.

Ah...and here I thought you were screaming it infront of the high septas.....Very Happy 
I might say it infront of Ciceri Lannister but only then because its HER.

He snorts, this he has to see.
THe shovel is shown.

You can ask and they'd likely go though Ser Nestor might be a bit miffed that you're poaching ALL of his best knights.
I don't want to offend... but... *sigh* Drat.

Myranda squeals a little bit in glee before you notice other things far more important....you can pay for that shift right?
Of course, though I don't damage it. I'm a gentleman after all...

Her father would certainly agree to her becoming a lady of the royal court, as for her personally.  She answers with a kiss that starts another round.
Can she even WALK after all this?

The next day Robert makes known his desire to go on a hunting trip and he wants you along, do you go with him?
Of course!

If so roll a d100.
Psyckosama carried out 1 launched of one d100 :

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:51 am

Psyckosama wrote:I'm still working out the kinks but after discussing it with him I do show it to Jon.

I also show him the seed plow, which I claim might heavily improve agricultural production.
.....".....why aren't you in the tower......?"

I might say it infront of Ciceri Lannister but only then because its HER.
heh

THe shovel is shown.
He's vaguely impressed though mostly he's busting a gut laughing.

I don't want to offend... but... *sigh* Drat.
Heh

Of course, though I don't damage it. I'm a gentleman after all...
Tissue and all that....Razz 

Can she even WALK after all this?
If anything you're actually the one slightly more tired.....Razz 

Of course!

Well the first day into the mountains leads to a whole lot of nothing, though surprisingly you haven't been harassed at all by the mountain clans. Towards the end of the day, you do manage to find a light set of tracks leading further into the mountains, Robert's for it though that would lead you into Painted Dogs' territory...do you risk it?
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:57 am

Brian Boru wrote:.....".....why aren't you in the tower......?"
"Because I'm found the idea of giving up my life to spend the rest of the years contemplating my navel to be revolting."

I pause. "Though Maester Wyllis all but begged me to consider the path."

Speaking of him, I need to visit him when I get to the gates.

He's vaguely impressed though mostly he's busting a gut laughing.
"Break her heart and I'll beat you to death with a shovel. A vague disclaimer is no ones friend."

I flip it around and look over it. "Gendry made it actually with his master supervision."

I told him about the boy.

Tissue and all that....Razz 
Silk is amazingly robust Wink

If anything you're actually the one slightly more tired.....Razz 
Gods, if they'd let me I'd marry her tonight!

Well the first day into the mountains leads to a whole lot of nothing, though surprisingly you haven't been harassed at all by the mountain clans.  Towards the end of the day, you do manage to find a light set of tracks leading further into the mountains, Robert's for it though that would lead you into Painted Dogs' territory...do you risk it?
It's up to the king. Personally I don't think its worth the inevitable bullshit but I do want to speak with someone from one of the Mountain Clans about a trade...

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:23 am

Brian Boru wrote:_Most of the stuff, while not fitting perfectly, fits well enough to serve though you can still find a blacksmith who might be able to do a quick job.
Do it. It's potentially my life riding on this.

... and also ask the blacksmith about the mark on the bastard sword I picked up, while we're here already.

As for the Shield you manage to find a good one for about 35 ss.  What symbol do you want to put on it?
A grey hood with a pitch black interior, facing straight on, kind of like this. The whole thing on a black background.
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/baton72/baton721001/baton72100100005/6325401-man-in-the-hood-with-shaded-face.jpg.

A big warbow is findable but the recurves aren't all that common, the damp doesn't agree with them.  But you manage to track a very good one for about 1000 ss you notice the white color and you learn that it's made from Weirwood which makes it stupendously strong and perfect for a long bow.  He just asks that you don't ask where he got the wood for it this far South.
Oooooh .... daddy wants. Though I also want to test before I buy. I assume he has some kind of target set up somewhere, either in the cellar or out back or such?

Well she does look longingly at some of the dresses and even even some of the jewelry but she doesn't linger too long on them because though you KNOW she wants to.
"Oi," I nudge her as we walk along. "You think we're not going to be coming back here after the tournament, once we've a bit more coin? We will get you some nice things, and no mistake."

Alright the first event is the Joust that will last for 2 days, then the grand melee will be the day after that.  As for archery, well not officially this time though there are plenty of men having impromptu competitions right now with plenty of bets being made.
... tempting. I'll ask Ser Martyn to come along and place some bets if he wants to, and as for myself ... well, I do need to test out that new bow of mine, don't I? ^^ (even if I, for some reason, don't get the weirwood, I still want to put the assassin's bow through its paces)

Amazingly nothing happens at all that night and the next day, you ride out as the Knight of the hood, your first competitor is a fella from the Reach not a very good jouster or you wouldn't be competing against him.
Welp, time to trust in my training, my sense of timing, and my horse ... I'll not be doing anything fancy, just remember to be properly braced, absorb with my left, etc.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:10 am

Psyckosama wrote:"Because I'm found the idea of giving up my life to spend the rest of the years contemplating my navel to be revolting."

I pause. "Though Maester Wyllis all but begged me to consider the path."

Speaking of him, I need to visit him when I get to the gates.
He almost chokes laughing at that one.

"Break her heart and I'll beat you to death with a shovel. A vague disclaimer is no ones friend."

I flip it around and look over it. "Gendry made it actually with his master supervision."

I told him about the boy.
He actually a little bit impressed by it.

Silk is amazingly robust Wink
Ah...but what a good bodice ripper moment without the ripping of bodices? Or shifts in this case....Razz 

Gods, if they'd let me I'd marry her tonight!
That MIGHT be arranged....though you might tick some people off, though it'd happen no matter WHAT you did.

It's up to the king. Personally I don't think its worth the inevitable bullshit but I do want to speak with someone from one of the Mountain Clans about a trade...
He's all for "Killing the fuck out of something, whether beast or mountain tribesman." So on you ride, roll a d100.

Rieverre wrote:Do it. It's potentially my life riding on this.
That'll cost you 100 SS

... and also ask the blacksmith about the mark on the bastard sword I picked up, while we're here already.
It takes a couple of blacksmiths but you eventually learn that THIS particular sword was forged by the Smyte family. An extended family of blacksmiths located in the reach near Old Town. Their swords are always of excellent quality.

A grey hood with a pitch black interior, facing straight on, kind of like this. The whole thing on a black background.
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/baton72/baton721001/baton72100100005/6325401-man-in-the-hood-with-shaded-face.jpg.
Another silver stag for the paint job.

Oooooh .... daddy wants. Though I also want to test before I buy. I assume he has some kind of target set up somewhere, either in the cellar or out back or such?
You pull the thing for a full draw, and he's a bit amazed that you could bend a bow that thick, after ruining his targets for a while at longer and longer ranges you finally reach it's effective max range at 500 yards.

"Oi," I nudge her as we walk along. "You think we're not going to be coming back here after the tournament, once we've a bit more coin? We will get you some nice things, and no mistake."
Once she's sure no one will notice, she glomps you in thanks.

... tempting. I'll ask Ser Martyn to come along and place some bets if he wants to, and as for myself ... well, I do need to test out that new bow of mine, don't I? ^^ (even if I, for some reason, don't get the weirwood, I still want to put the assassin's bow through its paces)
Well entry bet is 20 ss with the pot at 300 currently you want to put it in?

First target is at 100 yards more or less a warmup.

Welp, time to trust in my training, my sense of timing, and my horse ... I'll not be doing anything fancy, just remember to be properly braced, absorb with my left, etc.
The two of you thunder towards each other with a wild ferocity. When you lance strikes him he all but goes flying off his horse with a crash. He lays there moaning for a few minutes but he eventually manages to get up under his own power and hobbles off the lists. You've officially won his horse and armor though he'll eventually be ransoming it soon if he has the money...which he might considering the custom made quality of it.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:15 am

Brian Boru wrote:He almost chokes laughing at that one.
I laugh with him.

He actually a little bit impressed by it.
"He's a good kid. You should consider meeting him. After all, I'm sure that when he comes of age that the Red Keep could use its own master smith..."

Ah...but what a good bodice ripper moment without the ripping of bodices?  Or shifts in this case....Razz 
I'm respectful of her property. It's like unwrapping a finely decorated present. It's rude to just tear the paper off!

That MIGHT be arranged....though you might tick some people off, though it'd happen no matter WHAT you did.
I know. Though I'd like to keep her on as my mistress at least. She'll be well cared for and I'm sure I could convince my father to legitimize any children as Royces

He's all for "Killing the fuck out of something, whether beast or mountain tribesman."  So on you ride, roll a d100.
Crazy old man...

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:53 am

Brian Boru wrote:That'll cost you 100 SS
Still worth it. I probably wouldn't be burning through my cash so quickly if I didn't know I'd be making most if not all of that up in short order, but again, having custom fitted armor would very much help me in doing that. ^^

You pull the thing for a full draw, and he's a bit amazed that you could bend a bow that thick, after ruining his targets for a while at longer and longer ranges you finally reach it's effective max range at 500 yards.
And I could probably get more out of it if I were making ranging shots, not target shooting. That's certainly impressive. Sold. And he'll throw in some extra bowstrings, or some excellent quality ones, at a discount, because this one bow would have been a bit too exotic to get sold anytime soon.

Once she's sure no one will notice, she glomps you in thanks.
"Love you too, Mya." Headpat.

Well entry bet is 20 ss with the pot at 300 currently you want to put it in?
Let's not get too wild here. 40ss. I'd like to encourage people to drop more into the pot, without putting down so much as to be ludicrously obvious about it. This is as much for training as money for me.

First target is at 100 yards more or less a warmup.
Nothing fancy. Considering I've practiced some with my new bow, I've likely got a fairly good idea of the flight profile of my arrows. This kind of distance is a pretty good warmup, since it's starting with requiring some elevation control from the contestants. I might as well take it seriously though. Sight. Draw. Exhale. And loose. Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. ^^

The two of you thunder towards each other with a wild ferocity.  When you lance strikes him he all but goes flying off his horse with a crash.  He lays there moaning for a few minutes but he eventually manages to get up under his own power and hobbles off the lists.  You've officially won his horse and armor though he'll eventually be ransoming it soon if he has the money...which he might considering the custom made quality of it.
That's the kind of efficiency I'd like to approach this whole joust with, really. Function over flash. It might not make me too popular, but it'd be foolish of me not to make use of it to polish my technique.

Meanwhile, I'll wait for him to get up before riding back, taking this chance to examine the crowds of onlookers and the royal seats in particular. Just to keep abreast of events.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:07 am

Psyckosama wrote:"He's a good kid. You should consider meeting him. After all, I'm sure that when he comes of age that the Red Keep could use its own master smith..."
"Now there's a thought."

I'm respectful of her property. It's like unwrapping a finely decorated present. It's rude to just tear the paper off!
Heh

I know. Though I'd like to keep her on as my mistress at least. She'll be well cared for and I'm sure I could convince my father to legitimize any children as Royces
Well you're still young. You have a few years yet before...well...you know....

Crazy old man...

Well you manage to ride for about half an hour when arrows begin flying and your small party is ambushed by a band of 20 hill men painted dogs you think.

Rieverre wrote:Still worth it. I probably wouldn't be burning through my cash so quickly if I didn't know I'd be making most if not all of that up in short order, but again, having custom fitted armor would very much help me in doing that. ^^
It fits nicely.

And I could probably get more out of it if I were making ranging shots, not target shooting. That's certainly impressive. Sold. And he'll throw in some extra bowstrings, or some excellent quality ones, at a discount, because this one bow would have been a bit too exotic to get sold anytime soon.
He throws them in for free, he honestly didn't think you could pull that damn thing.

"Love you too, Mya." Headpat.
She acts like she wants to poke you in the ribs for that pat but she lets it go.

Let's not get too wild here. 40ss. I'd like to encourage people to drop more into the pot, without putting down so much as to be ludicrously obvious about it. This is as much for training as money for me.
Alright then.

Nothing fancy. Considering I've practiced some with my new bow, I've likely got a fairly good idea of the flight profile of my arrows. This kind of distance is a pretty good warmup, since it's starting with requiring some elevation control from the contestants. I might as well take it seriously though. Sight. Draw. Exhale. And loose. Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. ^^
You make the shot easily, but so does everyone else.

The next target is at 150 yards.

That's the kind of efficiency I'd like to approach this whole joust with, really. Function over flash. It might not make me too popular, but it'd be foolish of me not to make use of it to polish my technique.

Meanwhile, I'll wait for him to get up before riding back, taking this chance to examine the crowds of onlookers and the royal seats in particular. Just to keep abreast of events.
He manages to get up eventually and totters off to the end of the lists.

Your next opponent is a hedgeknight, likely a bit better than the last guy though you'll ruin him financially if you knock him clean off his horse.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:17 am

Brian Boru wrote:"Now there's a thought."
I smile. "You have many children and while I'd never ask you to follow the path of Aegon the Unworthy, they were still sired by a king, and born of Baratheon blood. That alone demands the respect," I smile at him, "I'd rather be your bastard, legitimized or no, than the true-born child of any other man alive, and I'm sure most of them feel the same."

Heh
And I make sure to make the most of the gift as well.

Well you're still young.  You have a few years yet before...well...you know....
True, true... but plans don't always go so smooth, so its always a good idea to have a backup plan... and a back up plan for your backup plan, and a backup plan for your backup plans backup plan. And a prepacked bug-out bag, and a couple predetermined bolt holes, and a Zombie Plan.. just in case...

[quote]

I look over to my father. "This always happens when things just start to look peaceful and clam... Father, if you'll allow it, I want to take as many alive as possible. I wanted to contact a mountain tribe about some trade and this lot is as good as any."

Then an ass kicking I go.

I try and use less than lethal force because I wanna have a chat once we're finished with this round up.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:53 am

Psyckosama wrote:I smile. "You have many children and while I'd never ask you to follow the path of Aegon the Unworthy, they were still sired by a king, and born of Baratheon blood. That alone demands the respect," I smile at him, "I'd rather be your bastard, legitimized or no, than the true-born child of any other man alive, and I'm sure most of them feel the same."
He snorts in good natured amusement.

And I make sure to make the most of the gift as well.
kool

True, true... but plans don't always go so smooth, so its always a good idea to have a backup plan... and a back up plan for your backup plan, and a backup plan for your backup plans backup plan. And a prepacked bug-out bag, and a couple predetermined bolt holes, and a Zombie Plan.. just in case...
HA!

I look over to my father. "This always happens when things just start to look peaceful and clam... Father, if you'll allow it, I want to take as many alive as possible. I wanted to contact a mountain tribe about some trade and this lot is as good as any."
His WTF face is hilarious.

Then an ass kicking I go.

I try and use less than lethal force because I wanna have a chat once we're finished with this round up.

You go through them like a bowling ball through a bunch of nine-pins. Although a few try to put up a fight. It isn't long before all 20 of them are left groaning piles of pain. Robert is more than a little gobsmacked.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:48 am

Brian Boru wrote:He snorts in good natured amusement.
I'm being serious, but I know he's a laid back man.

His WTF face is hilarious.
"Trust me..." I say a sing song.

You go through them like a bowling ball through a bunch of nine-pins.  Although a few try to put up a fight.  It isn't long before all 20 of them are left groaning piles of pain.  Robert is more than a little gobsmacked.
"Right then, you sorry lot. Which one of you is the ring leader of this bloody lot? Come on! Out with it then!"

"Well now, you've been blessed today because you're alive and in the presence of my Father, Robert Baratheon... the Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, and King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men. In other words, the man whom if he says jump, then the bloody Arryns will nod and then ask how high."

I let that sink in.

"Now I know you have no love of Andals to put it gently but remember that last lot there. The First Men. Ours house is directly descended from house Durendon, the sons of the Hero Duren. Even Lord of the North and heir to the last great bastion of the First men calls this man not only his lord, but his best friend and sworn brother. So understand now that you speak to not to Andals but fellow First Men, and not only that but men who like yourselves never knelt to the Andal invaders. First Men who, given the opportunity even cast down the bloody Valyrian conquerors who came after them..."

I crouch down. "Now, there's some things I believe would be useful to us that you have, and as we're honorable men I'd like to trade for it. Why, my father might even be convinced to allow you to present a case to him in the names of your clan and people... be reasonable in your requests and you might even get something out of it..."

What I want is to know if they have potatos. If they have them I'll happily buy a HUGE amount from all the clans and trade them for other crops.

I'll explain the benefits to Robert, but in general they can grow in horribly cold weather, even in WINTER, they're very nutritious, and as they're a root crop unlike other grains a war won't cause starvation as you're not burning them out without digging them up first. They'd be a major boon during winter and in the north during all times of the year.

If they're sociable I'll casually mention the massive mineral wealth that is probably in these mountains and how the Westerlands have grown stupid fucking rich off of theirs... perhaps agreements could be come to and they could live proudly and well as their ancestors did rather than stealing from the table of an Andel lord as they have been for the past six bloody thousand years...

They can let the Andals have the valleys. The wealth of the mountains will let them lord over them from on high, with the Andals scrambling over themselves to present them with grain and daughters in tribute for granting them but a share of the great treasures of that the Old Gods provide... Wink

I do a lot of whispering with Robert before this goes through but in general if he goes for it,this is how I sell it... plus, they would make GREAT mercenary fighters...

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:12 am

Psyckosama wrote:I'm being serious, but I know he's a laid back man.
True

"Trust me..." I say a sing song.
He continues to stare.

"Right then, you sorry lot. Which one of you is the ring leader of this bloody lot? Come on! Out with it then!"
One of them, guy that looks in his late 20s-early 30s, mutters that he is, defiant look in his eyes ruined by the busted nose and the two black eyes.

"Well now, you've been blessed today because you're alive and in the presence of my Father, Robert Baratheon... the Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, and King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men. In other words, the man whom if he says jump, then the bloody Arryns will nod and then ask how high."

I let that sink in.
That seems to get their attentions.

"Now I know you have no love of Andals to put it gently but remember that last lot there. The First Men. Ours house is directly descended from house Durendon, the sons of the Hero Durren. Even Lord of the North and heir to the last great bastion of the First men calls this man not only his lord, but his best friend and sworn brother. So understand now that you speak to not to Andals but fellow First Men, and not only that but men who like yourselves never knelt to the Andal invaders. First Men who, given the opportunity even cast down the bloody Valyrian conquerors who came after them..."

I crouch down. "Now, there's some things I believe would be useful to us that you have, and as we're honorable men I'd like to trade for it. Why, my father might even be convinced to allow you to present a case to him in the names of your clan and people... be reasonable in your requests and you might even get something out of it..."
"Plan to make us your slaves like everyone else? We're free men and we don't kneel." He spits a blood loogie at your feet.

What I want is to know if they have potatos. If they have them I'll happily buy a HUGE amount from all the clans and trade them for other crops.
They have them, though they're about the size of a russet potato.

I'll explain the benefits to Robert, but in general they can grow in horribly cold weather, even in WINTER, they're very nutritious, and as they're a root crop unlike other grains a war won't cause starvation as you're not burning them out without digging them up first. They'd be a major boon during winter and in the north during all times of the year.
While that isn't his forte he does get the logic of it...though he wonders why you're trying this NOW of all times?

If they're sociable I'll casually mention the massive mineral wealth that is probably in these mountains and how the Westerlands have grown stupid fucking rich off of theirs... perhaps agreements could be come to and they could live proudly and well as their ancestors did rather than stealing from the table of an Andel lord as they have been for the past six bloody thousand years...

They can let the Andals have the valleys. The wealth of the mountains will let them lord over them from on high, with the Andals scrambling over themselves to present them with grain and daughters in tribute for granting them but a share of the great treasures of that the Old Gods provide... Wink
Their brains are a bit scrambled at the moment but they'll think about it and talk with the rest of the clan...if you actually plan to let them go and not enslave them.

I do a lot of whispering with Robert before this goes through but in general if he goes for it,this is how I sell it... plus, they would make GREAT mercenary fighters...
He thinks you're out of your gourd, you don't reason with hillmen...
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:32 am

Brian Boru wrote:He continues to stare.
I simply grin.

One of them, guy that looks in his late 20s-early 30s, mutters that he is, defiant look in his eyes ruined by the busted nose and the two black eyes.
"Right then, so what's your name?"

That seems to get their attentions.
Step one.

"Plan to make us your slaves like everyone else? We're free men and we don't kneel."  He spits a blood loogie at your feet.
I laugh. "Slavery is supposed to be illegal in westeros. If you can present any man who has engaged in the practice along with truthful evidence, then we will have no choice... but to have them put to death or sent to the wall." I look at him. "Tell me, is it slavery when you obey your clan leaders orders? It's not. And its much the same only on a much larger scale."

They have them, though they're about the size of a russet potato.
"Good... good..."

While that isn't his forte he does get the logic of it...though he wonders why you're trying this NOW of all times?
"Well, I needed to know if that book was accurate. Captive audience."

Their brains are a bit scrambled at the moment but they'll think about it and talk with the rest of the clan...if you actually plan to let them go and not enslave them.
Of course... if they will swear upon their names and pride, before the gods, that they will serve as messengers between me and their people.

He thinks you're out of your gourd, you don't reason with hillmen...
"Father, I've lived here all my life. I know what they're like. They're savage...yes... violent... clearly... barbaric... that would be an apt description... but in the end they're still men. Angry, resentful men holding onto grudges almost as old as westeros itself, but still men, not beasts. And they have all the needs and wants of men... and men... at least most men can be reasoned with. You just have to discover what they want, what they need, what they're willing to trade..."

I glance at them for moment.

"That crop would benefit the realm and the wealth of the mountains could make all of us stinking rich. The crown, the Vale, and the hillmen themselves... not to mention the fact that the Vale would be able to raise a significantly larger force come war without having to worry about the hillmen at their backs... even more so should be hire the hillmen themselves as mercenaries... Comparing cost and risk and reward... this is a favorable gamble."

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:25 am

Brian Boru wrote:She acts like she wants to poke you in the ribs for that pat but she lets it go.
Ah yes, armor. Such a wonderful invention. ^^

You make the shot easily, but so does everyone else.

The next target is at 150 yards.

Same approach for the following shot, and so on and so forth. Unless any irregularities pop up.

He manages to get up eventually and totters off to the end of the lists.

Your next opponent is a hedgeknight, likely a bit better than the last guy though you'll ruin him financially if you knock him clean off his horse.
Oh, that's horrible, however could I do such a thing?

Actually, getting his measure in the first pass wouldn't be a bad idea. Then, if I think I can manage it without being too vulnerable myself, I'll try to _not_ unhorse him. If I can pull that off, chances are I'll be underestimated by the next opponent. I might need that, I might not, but at the very least it'll be useful.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:33 am

Brian Boru wrote:You wake up to the sound of a howling wind and creaking wood.  Groaning you shake your head, then wince as the mild hangover from the night before bites you in the backside or rather the brain more like.  "Last time I let the other squires talk me into drinking with them." you mutter...then you realize what you just said.

Jerking wide awake, (and wincing from the pain), you get to your feet.  Then you look at yourself...you've...changed...whatever you looked like before...you were now a lanky 6' in height though you get the feeling that you've got a lot of muscle left to pack on and maybe even some inches though why you don't really know.

Then like a thunderclap, the memories rush back.  

You're (insert name here) Stone, a bastard serving as squire for one Ser Martyn Lancet, a Sworn Sword in the service of Nestor Royce, steward of the Eyrie.  The Eyrie is the primary holding of the Arryns, the Lords Paramount of the Vale of Arryn, which is one of many large regions that are collectively known as the Seven Kingdoms which covers most of the Continent of Westeros....

It's the year 296 AL and you're 14 years old with at LEAST 2 more years of squiring to do.

Though your memories tell you that you're something of an oddity squiring for a sworn sword in such a prestigious position.  Normally you'd have to settle for a hedge knight.  But two years ago, a couple of squires almost ready to make their oaths for knighthood were harassing your baby sister Mya (though how much of a baby sister could she be seeing as you're only 3 minutes older than her).  You'd promptly gone to her defense with a stick, and proceeded to beat the unholy hell out of the two of them.

You'd done it with several guards as witnesses and while you'd been terrified that you'd be severely punished for what you'd done instead you're made a squire for your current knightly master.

As your headache fades from the information dump you hear the sound of footsteps, that particular stomping is obviously your master coming to wake you up.

What do you do?
Alright what the hell i'll join in.

"I'm Up! I'm up!" I yell as the roll myself out of bed and start getting ready.

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:17 am

Psyckosama wrote:I simply grin.
Heh

"Right then, so what's your name?"
Tregg.

I laugh. "Slavery is supposed to be illegal in westeros. If you can present any man who has engaged in the practice along with truthful evidence, then we will have no choice... but to have them put to death or sent to the wall." I look at him. "Tell me, is it slavery when you obey your clan leaders orders? It's not. And its much the same only on a much larger scale."
They give you a look, and why should they listen to a man they've never met, who's never proven himself as a leader to them.

"Well, I needed to know if that book was accurate. Captive audience."
He just gives you another look...."mad"....

Of course... if they will swear upon their names and pride, before the gods, that they will serve as messengers between me and their people.
They swear... now about letting them loose...

"Father, I've lived here all my life. I know what they're like. They're savage...yes... violent... clearly... barbaric... that would be an apt description... but in the end they're still men. Angry, resentful men holding onto grudges almost as old as westeros itself, but still men, not beasts. And they have all the needs and wants of men... and men... at least most men can be reasoned with. You just have to discover what they want, what they need, what they're willing to trade..."

I glance at them for moment.

"That crop would benefit the realm and the wealth of the mountains could make all of us stinking rich. The crown, the Vale, and the hillmen themselves... not to mention the fact that the Vale would be able to raise a significantly larger force come war without having to worry about the hillmen at their backs... even more so should be hire the hillmen themselves as mercenaries... Comparing cost and risk and reward... this is a favorable gamble."
That actually makes him think for a moment. He's silent for a long while before he finally says, "Alright lad, but we're taking a guard with us. I'm not going to have my skull on a pole just because of your hunch lad, you're smart but not that smart."

Rieverre wrote:Ah yes, armor. Such a wonderful invention. ^^
More like she didn't want to make a scene but that works as well.

Same approach for the following shot, and so on and so forth. Unless any irregularities pop up.

Shot after shot is made and the archers are slowly but surely whittled away though you manage to keep up with the best of them.

Finally at 375 yards there is only you and one other archer. He goes first, he draws the bow, breaths out and looses the arrow....he misses.

Your turn.

Oh, that's horrible, however could I do such a thing?

Actually, getting his measure in the first pass wouldn't be a bad idea. Then, if I think I can manage it without being too vulnerable myself, I'll try to _not_ unhorse him. If I can pull that off, chances are I'll be underestimated by the next opponent. I might need that, I might not, but at the very least it'll be useful.
You allow the guy a hit, he's good, not stupendously great but he's good. You think you can make it a win by points though you'll be hurting a bit afterwards.

Silver Sun 17 wrote:Alright what the hell i'll join in.

"I'm Up! I'm up!" I yell as the roll myself out of bed and start getting ready.
The stomping stops for a moment then a deep voice booms, "Damn boy did you go drinking with those idiots last night? I told you that you're too damn young for wine, then again I've told you that before and it's never seemed to have stopped you in the past."

Memories flash by again for a second yes you have gone carousing before and you seem to be able to handle a surprising amount of booze for your age but you're pretty sure (Insert name) or is it you? didn't go out at all the night before.

The door to the small cell that is your room opens and in comes your master Ser Martyn Lancet, a fair sized man who you suspect might have had a Royce bastard for an ancestor in the past considering his dark hair and grey eyes.

He looks you in the eyes, then he snorts, "Growing like a weed still lad? How much taller are you going to get?"

He laughes to himself and says, "Well you don't seem all that worse for wear so go get some breakfast and then go see to our horses, make sure they're ready to ride, then make sure to arm yourself and have my armor ready...It's time for your first blood letting. Lord Royce has decided that a group of the Eyrie garrison go kill some Mountain Clansmen and the both of us will be a part of it."

He then turns and stomps out.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:23 am

Brian Boru wrote:The stomping stops for a moment then a deep voice booms, "Damn boy did you go drinking with those idiots last night? I told you that you're too damn young for wine, then again I've told you that before and it's never seemed to have stopped you in the past."

Memories flash by again for a second yes you have gone carousing before and you seem to be able to handle a surprising amount of booze for your age but you're pretty sure (Insert name) or is it you? didn't go out at all the night before.

The door to the small cell that is your room opens and in comes your master Ser Martyn Lancet, a fair sized man who you suspect might have had a Royce bastard for an ancestor in the past considering his dark hair and grey eyes.

He looks you in the eyes, then he snorts, "Growing like a weed still lad? How much taller are you going to get?"
"only the gods know that."

Brian Boru wrote:He laughes to himself and says, "Well you don't seem all that worse for wear so go get some breakfast and then go see to our horses, make sure they're ready to ride, then make sure to arm yourself and have my armor ready...It's time for your first blood letting. Lord Royce has decided that a group of the Eyrie garrison go kill some Mountain Clansmen and the both of us will be a part of it."

He then turns and stomps out.
I finsh getting ready and bolt to forfill my tasks.

OOC: i used a random name generator and got Aliser for a name.

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:30 am

Brian Boru wrote:Tregg.
"Hello, Tregg, I'm Eddard Baratheon."

They give you a look, and why should they listen to a man they've never met, who's never proven himself as a leader to them.
"On the other hand, what will you lose by giving us a chance to prove our metal?"

He just gives you another look...."mad"....
"Like a fox."

They swear... now about letting them loose...
Of course. Cut them free."

That actually makes him think for a moment.  He's silent for a long while before he finally says, "Alright lad, but we're taking a guard with us.  I'm not going to have my skull on a pole just because of your hunch lad, you're smart but not that smart."
I give him look. "Of course we are. It's one thing to show a little trust, but to show up unguarded would be both arrogant and stupid. We need to make a proper show of strength that proves we're who and what we say we are but not one large enough that it looks like we're actively trying to intimidate them while at the same time not one so small that it looks like we're disrespectful of their martial strength. We need to show that we think if it comes to blow it'll be a proper fight but not one we don't think we can handle..." I pause, "Also, no Valemen, or at least no one local, in our guard except maybe someone to speak on Lord Arryn's behalf. We don't want to tempt and local fudes or rivalries coming up.  Possibly Lord Nestor or another man of house Royce. They're of First Man stock and thus would be far less objectionable to them."

"Make them comfortable enough to let down their guard a bit while all the time subtlety reminding them that should they prove to be less than reasonable you have no problem with braining them with your hammer," I smile, "Speak softly and carry a large stick."

Last edited by Psyckosama on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:31 am

Brian Boru wrote:...150...

Shot after shot is made and the archers are slowly but surely whittled away though you manage to keep up with the best of them.

Finally at 375 yards there is only you and one other archer.  He goes first, he draws the bow, breaths out and looses the arrow....he misses.

Your turn.
And I take it, taking care to check windage and adjust trajectory accordingly given the projectiles' behavior thus far.

You allow the guy a hit, he's good, not stupendously great but he's good. You think you can make it a win by points though you'll be hurting a bit afterwards.
... no, if he's actually decent then he'll have gotten some of my measure from that exchange as well and things will be increasingly difficult. I'd have stuck with it if he wasn't very good, but given this result, I'll stop faffing about in the next pass and finish it quickly. I'll need to save that margin of error ... and hurting ... for the really good guys.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:28 am

Silver Sun 17 wrote:"only the gods know that."
He chuckles a bit at that, "Oh aye but we can usually guess, and I'm guessing you'll be one hell of a biggun'"

I finish getting ready and bolt to fulfill my tasks.

OOC: i used a random name generator and got Aliser for a name.
You manage to grab a shield with the sigil of House Royce of the Gate of the Moon, a symbol many troops serving Nestor Royce have as well as one of the guard shields. Then you notice in the back a dusty shape. Stitting there is a massive warhammer. Emblazoned on the side is a black stag. You realize this must have been Robert's hammer that he used as squire, before the one the famous blacksmith Donal Noye made for him after he achieved knighthood. You wonder why the thing hadn't been taken with him when he went to king's landing. Must have forgotten it. Like he forgot about you and your sister when he became king. That still stings a bit though you do accept that you and Mya wouldn't belong with the rest of the court. And considering what you'd heard about Cersei Lannister...that might be a blessing he didn't take you along. Then you grab the thing to heft it, and you realize it might have also been because only your old man could have lifted the damn thing. Him and your because it feels just a hair on the lightside to your for some reason.

But before the armory, As you head to breakfast you see the dark mop of hair that signals your baby sister, (Seven Does she HATE it when you call her that) heading for the main hall of the Gates of the Moon, you frown a bit when you see that Jackass Mychal Redfort with her. (He really isn't all that bad but the way she paws at her and she goes all goggle-eyed with him....brotherly instinct AWAY!!!!!) You haven't had much chance working with him in the training since he's older than you AND he's the son of an important lord. But maybe that might change after today and you prove yourself against the clansmen.

Psyckosama wrote:"Hello, Tregg, I'm Eddard Baratheon."
The men are silent for a moment, then one older man said, "I think someone with a name like that killed my cousin Kenni near 20 years ago, the bastard knocked his head right out." He now looks at your father with an inspective look on his face.

"On the other hand, what will you lose by giving us a chance to prove our metal?"
"At this point....? Our pride....though starving mothers and young ones are no good for anyone....damn...."

"Like a fox."
Or just plain mad.

Of course. Cut them free."
It's quickly done.

I give him look. "Of course we are. It's one thing to show a little trust, but to show up unguarded would be both arrogant and stupid. We need to make a proper show of strength that proves we're who and what we say we are but not one large enough that it looks like we're actively trying to intimidate them while at the same time not one so small that it looks like we're disrespectful of their martial strength. We need to show that we think if it comes to blow it'll be a proper fight but not one we don't think we can handle..." I pause, "Also, no Valemen, or at least no one local, in our guard except maybe someone to speak on Lord Arryn's behalf. We don't want to tempt and local fudes or rivalries coming up.  Possibly Lord Nestor or another man of house Royce. They're of First Man stock and thus would be far less objectionable to them."

"Make them comfortable enough to let down their guard a bit while all the time subtlety reminding them that should they prove to be less than reasonable you have no problem with braining them with your hammer," I smile, "Speak softly and carry a large stick."
He smiles, "14 and already playing the game better than I ever did or wanted to. There anything you're NOT good at?"

Well you apparently clear out rooms if you eat beets, and you've woken to gigantic piles of straw and other muffling materials all around your room. Apparently you snore, loud enough to, and I quote, "Make the fucking castle shudder!"

Rieverre wrote:And I take it, taking care to check windage and adjust trajectory accordingly given the projectiles' behavior thus far.
You pull back and fire. It makes a perfect bullseye.

... no, if he's actually decent then he'll have gotten some of my measure from that exchange as well and things will be increasingly difficult. I'd have stuck with it if he wasn't very good, but given this result, I'll stop faffing about in the next pass and finish it quickly. I'll need to save that margin of error ... and hurting ... for the really good guys.
You ride hard down the lists and you strike hard and a bit high, amazingly he's still in the saddle.

But when you turn around ready for your next ride, you notice you're opponent, after his horse rode past to the end of the list he hasn't done anything else, either take his next lance or get his horse ready to ride towards you, he just sits there.

People start to mutter when he hasn't move for several minutes.
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 17 Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:44 am

Brian Boru wrote:
He chuckles a bit at that, "Oh aye but we can usually guess, and I'm guessing you'll be one hell of a biggun'"
"We'll see, we'll see."

You manage to grab a shield with the sigil of House Royce of the Gate of the Moon, a symbol many troops serving Nestor Royce have as well as one of the guard shields. Then you notice in the back a dusty shape. Stitting there is a massive warhammer. Emblazoned on the side is a black stag. You realize this must have been Robert's hammer that he used as squire, before the one the famous blacksmith Donal Noye made for him after he achieved knighthood. You wonder why the thing hadn't been taken with him when he went to king's landing. Must have forgotten it. Like he forgot about you and your sister when he became king. That still stings a bit though you do accept that you and Mya wouldn't belong with the rest of the court. And considering what you'd heard about Cersei Lannister...that might be a blessing he didn't take you along. Then you grab the thing to heft it, and you realize it might have also been because only your old man could have lifted the damn thing. Him and your because it feels just a hair on the lightside to your for some reason.
I wipe off the dust on the hammer and grab some strips of leather. I quickly wrap them around the head, covering the stag, and secure the strips so they won't come off easily. That done I seek out some throwing knives or throwing axes if there are any.

But before the armory, As you head to breakfast you see the dark mop of hair that signals your baby sister, (Seven Does she HATE it when you call her that) heading for the main hall of the Gates of the Moon, you frown a bit when you see that Jackass Mychal Redfort with her. (He really isn't all that bad but the way she paws at her and she goes all goggle-eyed with him....brotherly instinct AWAY!!!!!) You haven't had much chance working with him in the training since he's older than you AND he's the son of an important lord. But maybe that might change after today and you prove yourself against the clansmen.
A slightly evil grin grows on my lips before I follow after them. I carefully step lightly so my feet make no sound on the floor while moving quickly to catch up to them. After I get in arms reach I stretch out a hand and gently grab my sisters shoulder before saying.
"How is my baby sister today?"

Silver Sun 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Psyckosama Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:47 am

Brian Boru wrote:The men are silent for a moment, then one older man said, "I think someone with a name like that killed my cousin Kenni near 20 years ago, the bastard knocked his head right out."  He now looks at your father with an inspective look on his face.
What can I do. "I don't think there's ever been any man from the hills or valleys who doesn't have a long list of grudges."

If they have a wergelt tradition, I immediately pay it saying I want there to be no grudges between us.

"At this point....?  Our pride....though starving mothers and young ones are no good for anyone....damn...."
"I'm not asking you to bend at the knee. We have far too many worthless, sycophantic boot-licking lackeys..." I lean forward, "Believe me, our opinion us such men is about the same as yours. It's just so hard to be rid of them."

Or just plain mad.
The line between genius and insanity is narrow and I walk it like a drunkard at times. Smile

It's quickly done.
Of course. And return their weapons. We want them to go home as messengers. If they come home stripped they will go in shame and it will make us look less than honest.

I look over to Robert. "I believe it might be best to give them something as a gift to show our honesty..." I look over the group. "How about the boar spears and some of our knives and wood axes? No personal weapons but just some hunting tools It's your to decide father. You are king."

He smiles, "14 and already playing the game better than I ever did or wanted to.  There anything you're NOT good at?"
"I had to admit I'm going by the seat of my pants. I just read everything I can find and have a eidetic memory..." I pause, "It means I have perfect recall. I don't forget anything I don't want to and have already memorized most of the royal library..."

I let that sink in for a moment

Well you apparently clear out rooms if you eat beets, and you've woken to gigantic piles of straw and other muffling materials all around your room.  Apparently you snore, loud enough to, and I quote, "Make the fucking castle shudder!"
"And if you need to know, that if you feed me beats you could strap me to my horse backwards and use me to send an enemy into a full route, and if I'm too exausted when I go to sleep I can snore loud enough to make a castle shake..."

Think we can move on a bit? I'd like to get this over soon so we can move onto the next local soon.

Psyckosama
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rieverre Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:34 am

Brian Boru wrote:You pull back and fire.  It makes a perfect bullseye.
Huh. Didn't expect it to go that well.

You ride hard down the lists and you strike hard and a bit high, amazingly he's still in the saddle.

But when you turn around ready for your next ride, you notice you're opponent, after his horse rode past to the end of the list he hasn't done anything else, either take his next lance or get his horse ready to ride towards you, he just sits there.

People start to mutter when he hasn't move for several minutes.
Oh joy. I'm hoping I didn't somehow outright kill him. Ride over at a walk to check.
Rieverre
Rieverre

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Boru Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:50 am

Silver Sun 17 wrote:"We'll see, we'll see."
Kool

I wipe off the dust on the hammer and grab some strips of leather. I quickly wrap them around the head, covering the stag, and secure the strips so they won't come off easily. That done I seek out some throwing knives or throwing axes if there are any.
You find some of both as well. How many do you wanna try and have?

A slightly evil grin grows on my lips before I follow after them. I carefully step lightly so my feet make no sound on the floor while moving quickly to catch up to them. After I get in arms reach I stretch out a hand and gently grab my sisters shoulder before saying.
"How is my baby sister today?"
She gives you a scowl before she continues, "Mychel was just telling me about how the two of you are going to be part of the expedition heading into the mountains today."

Mychel smiles and says, "Worry not, I'll make sure that your brother will be alright, though gods know he doesn't really need my protection."

Psyckosama wrote:What can I do. "I don't think there's ever been any man from the hills or valleys who doesn't have a long list of grudges."

If they have a wergelt tradition, I immediately pay it saying I want there to be no grudges between us.
There is one, "Kenni's been dead for years and the bastard always did mutter like he had a mouth full of mush, drove everyone crazy trying t' figure out what he was saying...but dammit he was still family...hmm..." That ring Robert has looks pretty nice.

"I'm not asking you to bend at the knee. We have far too many worthless, sycophantic boot-licking lackeys..." I lean forward, "Believe me, our opinion us such men is about the same as yours. It's just so hard to be rid of them."
He snorts, "Every man woman and child of the lowlands?"

The line between genius and insanity is narrow and I walk it like a drunkard at times. Smile
More like being fired from a catapult into the mad area.

Of course. And return their weapons. We want them to go home as messengers. If they come home stripped they will go in shame and it will make us look less than honest.

I look over to Robert. "I believe it might be best to give them something as a gift to show our honesty..." I look over the group. "How about the boar spears and some of our knives and wood axes? No personal weapons but just some hunting tools It's your to decide father. You are king."
He gives you a look then shrugs and has your party hand over their iron save for their personal weapons, the ferocious glee on the hillmens' faces is a bit disconcerting and more than one man's fingers twitch towards their side arms.

"I had to admit I'm going by the seat of my pants. I just read everything I can find and have a eidetic memory..." I pause, "It means I have perfect recall. I don't forget anything I don't want to and have already memorized most of the royal library..."

I let that sink in for a moment
"....." Is his response.

"And if you need to know, that if you feed me beats you could strap me to my horse backwards and use me to send an enemy into a full route, and if I'm too exausted when I go to sleep I can snore loud enough to make a castle shake..."

Think we can move on a bit? I'd like to get this over soon so we can move onto the next local soon.
He nearly falls over laughing at that.

A few days later a message is sent asking for the two of you to come meet the leaders of the painted dogs near where you fought with them. Bring only 10 men with you else this will be seen as an act of war.

Rieverre wrote:Huh. Didn't expect it to go that well.
Well you're 300 SS richer and men are congratulating you and offering you a beer later on.

Oh joy. I'm hoping I didn't somehow outright kill him. Ride over at a walk to check.
As you get closer the man he still doesn't move or react, then you see him take in a breath, he's alive, though why he hasn't moved you're not sure. Do you touch him?
Brian Boru
Brian Boru

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 34 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 23 ... 34  Next